Return to “Games”

Re: Star Citizen

Kitsune wrote:You know I was going to back Star Citizen but than I backed out of it, I really dislike player-run multiplayer only universes, because they inevitably end up falling to the couple dozen players that insist on spending 20 hours a day every single day in the game, and end up totally warping the economy, the world, and everything else to whatever they want, making said games very difficult to play beyond the very very early segments, or at least such has been my experience. It looks like it'll be a quality game but I LOATHE games where the only single-player content is a glorified multiplayer tutorial.
From what they've said as well as Godwin, it sounds the same way as Minecraft servers, just with one 'official' server as well.

What this means is that (if it's not already considered) eventually the game will go the same route as Minecraft via single player. Each multiplayer game is just a single player game while simultaneously hosting it. Similar to MC's 'open to LAN play' but that being the default choice in Star Citizen.

If it is done this way, I'd love it. Me and my friends would love to get together to do a LAN party of something like this.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

DWMagus wrote:From what they've said as well as Godwin, it sounds the same way as Minecraft servers, just with one 'official' server as well.

What this means is that (if it's not already considered) eventually the game will go the same route as Minecraft via single player. Each multiplayer game is just a single player game while simultaneously hosting it. Similar to MC's 'open to LAN play' but that being the default choice in Star Citizen.

If it is done this way, I'd love it. Me and my friends would love to get together to do a LAN party of something like this.
Yeah, I must admit, I will really enjoy this feature. Getting to host the universe and play over LAN will be fantastic :) Hope to see such things from LT someday *dreams*
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote:Yeah, I must admit, I will really enjoy this feature. Getting to host the universe and play over LAN will be fantastic :) Hope to see such things from LT someday *dreams*
Who knows, you might see it before you expect depending on how much the players want it.

Just Cause 2 is a single-player sandbox-like game for PC/PS3/360. Players wanted it to be multiplayer so bad, that a community actually got together and hacked the game to allow MMO playing.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/13 ... ayer-titl/
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

I think crowdfunding is a very good way to avoid standard sources of funding a project. The developer can work more independently and can follow its ideas more freely than it could if some large corporation is behind it. Hopefully, this model of gathering resources will lead to more inspired products. Given the amount of money pumped into this business today, level of quality is at the all time low...

Ixos wrote:Josh on the other hand has set up a modern forum with a nice looking top banner, presented his development blog, screenshots and wallpapers to download. In the videos he speaks professionally and calmly, presenting the game, vision and his resume in a very convincing way.
Exactly what I was thinking!
Kudos!
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Although I really enjoy reading the dev logs here, I do understand why Chris Roberts doesn't do this. He is the equivalent of George Lucas (ok maybe not the best example) because he is designing the core aspects of the game, he is actually coding the game and he's doing his best to promote the game too. This is why WingMan's Hanger was created (in conjunction with the subscribers) to allow content to be disseminated to the pledgers and to show that they want to keep the community up-to-date so to speak. I also enjoy the in-game fiction that gets released through the comm-link because it gives us snippets of what some of the mechanics of the game will be.

Recently, Chris described in detail what his vision about death in the game, which I was sort of against until I read his pathos. After reading that 'article' I looked at it in a different way and now I actually like the idea of semi-permanent death because it does make you reevaluate your actions actions.

On the the community, I see that there are some users that are more aggressive in their rhetoric, but I think it has to do with their passion for a game of this caliber rather than to simply aggravate others. I don't think I'm alone in saying that everyone who has pledged for Star Citizen wants it to be the blockbuster that it was described as. So with that in mind I feel hat every community will have those people that are a bit more aggressive with their opinions, we the majority simply must ignore them or don't take their aggressiveness too seriously.

Chris's vision for death in the game actually ... makes sense. As I probably won't be playing on the persistent universe (I like modding, which means private server for me as a default), it's not relevant, but it does make a whole lot of sense. Also the class struggle between rich immoral -- ah, I mean immortal -- people with their limb augmentations and stem cells, and the poor underclass (hm, am I reminded of Deus Ex?) Regardless, it's very interesting.

Godwin wrote:You have been missing out then, Star Citizen will feature the ability to host the whole universe yourself: so you can play with a select bunch of people with the same ideas about they enjoy themselves. I envision many such universes sprouting up, much like the Ultima Online community with it's Shards (http://www.xtremetop100.com/ultima-online).
Star Citizen will not host the whole universe, only a small portion of it from what they have said. I think it's designed to not be so bare bones and have a system or 2 so modders can really go at it.
Star Citizen and question for Josh

Anyone back this game also? (Star Citizen) I am very excited for both games to come out. Space exploration is like sweet sweet heroin to a cracked out hobo's blood veins..for me. lol

But what do you guys think about Star Citizen so far? They haven't really explained what you can do in it yet, so i am still more excited for LT, because it seems to be exactly what i want.

And I also have a question for Josh, When do you think your going to do a new video of limit theory. Im really pumped to see what you been doing and the things you added. Take your time on a response, as we all know you are extremely busy. But i do hope you can get back to me!
Re: Star Citizen and question for Josh

I've backed Star Citizen for an obscene amount of money. I do not regret it though as I really do hope that space-sims will make a comeback. My first game on the PC that I've ever played was Wing Commander 2 and I still remember waking up in the wee hours of the morning to sneak into the computer room to play it. :D

I look at Star Citizen vs. LTheory as two different approaches to the space-sim genre. One enables you to build up your empire, control the flow of goods and essentially coax the rise and fall of empires. Another is more focused on the experience of being in space serving aboard a carrier or doing your own little trade runs.
In Josh we trust.

I backed Star Citizen, but only at a low level. While I believe that when it comes to large companies using kickstarter (when they obviously didn't need to), I usually don't care to toss money their way.

However, it is Chris Roberts, and I hope he helps bring the genre back.

Yeah, I backed Star Citizen too - Just enough to actually get the game.

I think that's mostly been my pattern with backing games software projects - back to the level needed to actually get the finished product.

Happy I broke my pattern with LTheory, though. Josh's presentation was impressive enough to get me to back at Beta level.
- The Snark Knight

"Look upward, and share the wonders I've seen."

Online Now