Return to “Games”

Re: Star Citizen

Yeah, I just loaded it up for the first time in months and can say that the community is still quite helpful and also informed me that the ETA for 3.0 is some time in early to mid August.

I really don't care all that much though until they have player interactions added to the game it will likely have a small group of players.

BFett wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:18 pm
I really don't care all that much though until they have player interactions added to the game it will likely have a small group of players.
This is very much the case for the MP portions like Arena Commander and Star Marine, PU being what it is due to performance issues.

3.0 launch date has been extended, it's rumored/expected to be dropping during the gamescom presentation. Which is what the schedule report suggests.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

With that said, Evocati test date (NDA closed test session, normally lasts 2 weeks) was also pushed back by a week (July 20th now) and we likely wont know the whole story about the state of 3.0 until PTU drops in the second week of August.

If the stars align and everything just works.... We might have it earlier than that, but that's very unlikely.
:D

Really though, how interesting are the procedural planets going to be? From the sounds of it we will get a desert planet, a ice planet and a moon to land on. I'd rather explore the full world of Arc Corp instead of being constrained to a specific area. Granted a whole city would likely take a ton of effort compared to a barren moon. I hope we will see procedural building interiors on the more densely populated cities instead of feeling restricted as to where one can go.

Right.

At the risk of rocking a boat that has already been stabilized.....

Now, I know this name might be somewhat problematic.....

But....

Derek Smart...

Thought I would leave a little pause here, in case toes have been stepped on.

Star Citizen offers the eventual promise of lots of shiny things while elements on line are heralding the imminent failure of the project.

Not a lot of discussion has taken place here about the financial stability of the Star Citizen project, do those members who are invested have any concerns over delivery?

EDIT:

Actually, what I'm really asking is, as someone who gets his SC news only from Derek Smart's twitter, are there robust counter arguments to his position.

The best one I know is, "Derek Smart is an egotistical bigot that also happens to loathe Star Citizen with every fiber of his being, so if you're looking for a trustworthy unbiased news source, keep looking"

Personally I don't follow Star Citizen very closely, but I do at least know that much about Mr. Smart.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:02 pm
The best one I know is, "Derek Smart is an egotistical bigot that also happens to loathe Star Citizen with every fiber of his being, so if you're looking for a trustworthy unbiased news source, keep looking"
*because they are trying to do the same thing he tried to do in a dozend games and always failed horribly and nobody likes his games but everyone fanboys about star citizen

That too, of course. He at least has a reason to dislike Star Citizen, but it's not the appropriate reason in this context.

No toes have been stepped on, though, Scousematt. :) At least not here. I'm not personally invested enough to really care one way or the other. Now, Victor, on the other hand... :lol:
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

scousematt wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:49 pm
Actually, what I'm really asking is, as someone who gets his SC news only from Derek Smart's twitter, are there robust counter arguments to his position.
No need to worry about stepping on toes.

Right, so Dr. Dr. Smart. The man whom cannot provide any proof that he holds a PhD has flip flopped his stance and predictions on Star Citizen multiple times. Then when getting called out for it, just demands that said person gets out of his feed.

Here is a compiled list of Mr. Smart's predictions and whether they have come true or not.:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/com ... legations/

This one is a bit trollish but does make valid points: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au6mMl5A79Q

He is wrong the majority of the time. Smart at some point during his crusade (his words not mine) might have had some sort of credibility, but he's cried wolf too many times to be taken seriously.
When you make enough guesses about something you're bound to be correct on at least one of them. Here I'll make my own prediction:
Mining in 3.0 is not going to be as awesome as everyone thinks it is, due to CIG being shite at managing expectations.

He's grasping at straws and just isn't credible anymore.

EDIT/ Now as a backer that has thrown money at this project I'll say that the progress they make each month is astonishing. There has been a lull since the last update which makes sense given the work load they claim to have undertaken for the 3.0 release.

I have no idea how it will turn out, if they get 3.0 out the door and to the live release and it contains even a fraction of what they claim it has I'd be pretty happy with that. Its no where near being close to the game they have promised. But CIG delivers with every update. Until the day comes (if it comes) that CIG are obviously no longer making progress or are stuck my opinion will always be that they can do it.

Innocent until proven guilty, which Smart has not proven once.
:D

BMRX wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:17 pm
EDIT/ Now as a backer that has thrown money at this project I'll say that the progress they make each month is astonishing. There has been a lull since the last update which makes sense given the work load they claim to have undertaken for the 3.0 release.
i dunno, their progress seems to be limited to showing cool new stuff but never fixing anything.
interacting with ships is still as broken and glitchy as it was at the inception of the PU...

scousematt wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:49 pm
Derek Smart does not work as accountant for CIG, and thus has no data whatsoever about their financial stability.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Online Now