Return to “Games”

Re: Star Citizen

Arclite wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:43 pm
I'm an original KS backer, and haven't spent anything since my initial $35.
Just out of curiosity, when was the last time any of you spent any money on SC, and what did you buy?
The successful drop of 3.2 I bought back one of the items I traded in. (Dragon fly)

Though some of the features were pushed they have made some significant improvements and additions. If 3.3 comes with some of the 3.2 features that were pushed back I'll likely buy another thing back.
:D

I missed the KS backing and backed for a a "digital commander" shortly after they allowed pledging on RSI website. And then I pledged again for the Saber(?) stealth fighter when it came out.

Alas I personally do not feel any excitement for Star Citizen anymore.

I love the ambition of the game, but at this point I think they are proving some of the reasons why the bigger publishers will not touch these sorts of projects. It is a massive investment in technology development, let alone game play development. Point out a big pushier that is happy to wait 4 years while their development teams come up with new tech for a game before they can really start work on the game proper, instead of just developing on existing tech, using existing IPs?

I still dearly hope they succeed in their goal of delivering the BDSSE. However as I said, I just don't feel excitement for it anymore.

Flatfingers wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 5:07 pm
Yikes.

This Forbes story about Roberts & Co. burning through most of the SC/S42 cash with still no playable game is not complimentary: https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattperez/ ... y-to-play/
I don't have any high hopes for the game(s) anymore, Flat. It wouldn't be the first time I've been disappointed in the crowdfunding arena... but it's likely to be the most expensive disappointment. :( :angel:

Ah well, whether they succeed or not, a lot of people have enjoyed the ride and the community. More importantly perhaps, they made it abundantly clear that the space-gamer community is very much not a little niche that could be forgotten about. I'd wager there are probably dozens of games that have come about because it was brought into the limelight (or, in the case of Starfield, are still in progress).

Then again, I didn't really put any money into the game myself, so my perspective is understandably different than someone who did. I do typically try to adopt a "it is what it is, look for the silver lining" approach to life, though.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 7:59 am
[...] More importantly perhaps, they made it abundantly clear that the space-gamer community is very much not a little niche that could be forgotten about. [...]
I could not agree more.

Also to be considered that, regardless of outcome, this experience will teach backers and players in general not to blindly trust an exceedingly ambitious project, not even if the founder is a myth of the industry (and I bet he is no longer considered as such, by now) and the project is crazy-full of money. Perhaps other developers have also learned to pay more attention to the feature creep phenomenon and to bite their tongue when they start promising stuff.

Is it just me or is the star citizen shop very user unfriendly.
I find it amazing how someone think its smart to put items into a store and then let the user figure out that he can't buy them. I'm speaking about the ships.
There are so many and the store doesn't allow you to buy them, but it need a couple of clicks to find out. I feel stupid because they raised over 200 Mio, so somehow there are smarter people than me that figured out how to buy their favorite ship :D, and I don't want to buy any game package to get some ships and I don't want to wait for any sale to make ship items available.

Ahhh, you don't go store --> ships but store --> extras --> standalone ships, how could I not understand this, it was so logical.

ResultsMayDiffer wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:16 am
Talvieno wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 7:59 am
Ah well, whether they succeed or not, a lot of people have enjoyed the ride and the community.
This is the "at least we tried and had fun along the way" defense that I personally feel is a weak cop-out. Are people going to hold CIG accountable for what they paid for? At any point in time?
I don't think Tal is defending CIG here. But it does explain why a lot people who didn't spend exorbitant amounts of money are likely to shrug it off and move on.

And holding a bankrupt company accountable won't really give you your money back.
Survivor of the Josh Parnell Blackout of 2015.

fyi they're still collecting millions a year. To this day is still dreaming up "cool new ideas" to lure in new sales. This is deception. Rarely if ever do these get called out as bull because they've sucked out all the air from objective discussion and have the entire community trained to shout down skeptical viewpoints.

At least Josh acknowledged risks, challenges, setbacks, mistakes, and had the foresight not to keep taking money. Chris Roberts lies all the time, has not once apologized, and leads what many believe is a concerted effort to mislead.

ResultsMayDiffer wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:16 am
This is the "at least we tried and had fun along the way" defense that I personally feel is a weak cop-out. [...]
Respectfully, you're not even remotely correct. Not in the slightest. Maybe you feel that way, but it's illogical and short-sighted to project these beliefs onto others, and given the general intelligence of your posts, I know you're smarter than that; I would wager that this particular opinion is the result of your personal bias clouding your vision. And to be perfectly clear: No, that is not intended as any sort of insult. To be biased is to be human, and vice versa.

In the case of both Limit Theory and Star Citizen, I enjoyed the ride immensely (I mean, just look at my post count :D) and was devastated when Josh announced that he couldn't continue his dream project. I was devastated not because I would never get to play LT - because honestly, there are some fairly similar (if not as pretty) games out there - Avorion springs to mind as an example, and of course the original Freelancer. Rather, I was devastated because I feared what would happen to the community if Josh and LT weren't still around to hold them together.

Turns out, the community is still sticking around to some degree. And that makes me happy.

With Star Citizen, I haven't paid as much attention (I don't think I've sent a dime in their direction), but honestly the level of detail of some of the ships they put out is phenomenal - even as just still images. I find it very highly inspiring, and, more importantly (to me): they've made it abundantly clear to the world that sci-fi and space gamers are NOT a tiny minority that can simply be overlooked (as the games industry previously assumed). Since Star Citizen's Kickstarter launched, there have been a wealth of space and sci-fi games that have sprung into being, by indie and AAA companies alike.

No, I do not agree with their continued crowdfunding campaigns. No, I do not think the game will ever be completed to the satisfaction of many of the backers. But I'm not pissed about people throwing money at them. It's their money, not mine. If they want to do it, fine with me. I don't get mad at people that like cucumber and mayonnaise sandwiches (no matter how disgusting I think it might be), and as far as I'm concerned, this is basically the same thing. It's their life, not mine, and even in a worst-case scenario, it's not hurting anyone but themselves. So who am I to judge?

I think that about sums up my stance. :)
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Cucumber sandwiches? Disgusting? How very dare you!
So it’s no surprise that the cucumber sandwich has been named the world’s coolest food. According to scientists from the American Chemical Society, it is the best thing to eat to regulate our body temperature and avoid dehydration during a heatwave. And it works even better washed down with a cup of tea.
Oolite Naval Attaché

Online Now