Return to “Games”

Re: Star Citizen

I'm watching the last Around the Verse episode, and that mobiGlas gadget must be one of my favorites things about this game so far, alongside big scale moons and planets. Glad of the direction this game is taking. It's exceeding my expectations, as I knew it would. :thumbup:
"Playing" is not simply a pastime, it is the primordial basis of imagination and creation. - Hideo Kojima

Etsu wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:32 am
I'm watching the last Around the Verse episode, and that mobiGlas gadget must be one of my favorites things about this game so far, alongside big scale moons and planets. Glad of the direction this game is taking. It's exceeding my expectations, as I knew it would. :thumbup:
Yeah, Mobi Glass is looking really good. I do hope they reduce the arm movement when it's up though. I think it would get annoying, especially since I can hold my own arm up in the same position without feeling the need of moving it at all.

BFett wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:30 pm
Yeah, Mobi Glass is looking really good. I do hope they reduce the arm movement when it's up though. I think it would get annoying, especially since I can hold my own arm up in the same position without feeling the need of moving it at all.
I tried and my arm is moving like crazy. :o It could be nice to see how many people suffer from the same problem. Clearly the animators do. :P

I personally prefer to be kept that way. I love excess of movement, and one of the things that I DON'T like about this game is the lack of head bob. (There is some kind of head bob when you walk and run, but it looks funny and weird, almost like in a comedy movie, with everything moving too fast.) Unfortunately the developers have some justifications for it based on what I think are false assumptions. But don't listen to me. I'm babbling now. :mrgreen:
"Playing" is not simply a pastime, it is the primordial basis of imagination and creation. - Hideo Kojima

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:25 pm
i noticed you removing all your ships from the ship list and leaving a couple of 0's with the ship numbers :ghost:
(which made me notice it in the first place)
I've completed my updated list of ships, Cornflakes, and will include it in a PM to you. I can't see that there will be any further additions...but I think I may have said something similar in a previous post. *chuckle*

There doesn't seem to be much point in re-applying for membership to HARMNET yet. I think I'll leave it until closer to release. :angel:

with readding victor's ships i lost my patience with the old doc-with-a-table-in-it and remade the whole list as a proper spreadsheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

everyone with the link has edit rights, so please everyone who wants to join/assist with our quest for universe domination add your ships to the list.
(or check that i didnt make any entry errors in the list, which is a thing that can happen)

(damn our fleet is large... we'll never be able to man that stuff)

I've been seriously thinking about getting this (gonna need to wait till I'm not so poor first though :oops: )

I hadn't really looked much at it after learning it was mostly multiplayer, but I've been enjoying the MP aspect of E:D too much to continue overlooking SC. I know a few of you guys already have SC, so before I drop buckets of money on this, how does it compare to E:D? I imagine I'd like SC just as well, if not more- especially if everything the devs are talking about gets implemented. Would you guys recommend it, despite the starting price? And how good is the PU at the moment?

cuisinart8 wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:00 am
I've been seriously thinking about getting this (gonna need to wait till I'm not so poor first though :oops: )

I hadn't really looked much at it after learning it was mostly multiplayer, but I've been enjoying the MP aspect of E:D too much to continue overlooking SC. I know a few of you guys already have SC, so before I drop buckets of money on this, how does it compare to E:D? I imagine I'd like SC just as well, if not more- especially if everything the devs are talking about gets implemented. Would you guys recommend it, despite the starting price? And how good is the PU at the moment?
PU is mostly framerate laggy for me at the moment. and pretty feature lacking.
(fly around, shoot people, push a few buttons)

the next big update seems to be a big jump in terms of content and is slated to be released in the next few weeks

cuisinart8 wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:00 am

If you don't want the full package you could get the Squadron 42 Standalone pledge, cuisinart8. That will give you an awesome story led game which you can play as a single player game separately from the Star Citizen multiplayer aspects. If you enjoy SQ42 you can always buy into the PU of the game at a later date. :)

I can't give you an unbiased opinion about the full game....I'm too heavily committed. :angel:

One slight addition from a person always accused to be a Star Citizen fanboy. Star Citizen is not really a game yet. The next major patch (set to release hopefully next month) will be a major step up and should hopefully give us the first real look at the 'game' as it will include actual proper game mechanics. What exists in the 'game' right now isn't really enough to justify the cost for most.

I'd personally say hold off until 3.0 and get some contrasting reviews from some of us older backers (Both in age and in backer duration) we we will be able to give you a good idea of whether or not the game play has stepped up enough to qualify it as a proper game. If you bought in right now I fear you would be bored after a few days, which is fine for a $5-20 purchase but when you're talking about a $45 purchase or $60 for SQ42 and SC, it just isn't there yet. Emphasis on YET though. If they pull it off, and that's a big IF and you like Space games (Why would you be here if you didn't?) Star Citizen could in theory if they nail everything goal wise one of if not THE best space game ever produced. Blowing away everything, ED, LT, FL, FS, XW, TF, XWA, X3, XR need I go on? No really... I could go on. :squirrel:

And that isn't to be mean to Josh or the devs of any other game because they're not trying to create the same thing, but what SC could potentially offer IF (big if) they nail everything is potentially capable of blowing away everything. Possibly not even just in the space genre either. They plan to offer non-space game play such as planetary game play, survival game play so in theory if they nail it all... you could have an amazing time running a farm or owning a homestead on a single planet for your entire game life. Yes I as a completely biased Star Citizen will say comfortably that IF they nail everything they hope to then SC could be the greatest game ever created. With the exception of people who ONLY like games like fantasy/RPG etc and they don't really count because SC wouldn't appeal to them on any level.

//End Rant.

My two cents.

If you follow Victor's advice, not need to buy anything right now. Wait until the single player experience is out. In any case, whatever you prefer to wait for the campaign or try the multiplayer aspect in its alpha state, take into consideration that SC needs strong hardware. I myself am waiting to have a proper videocard. (My last 4GB videocard, probably incapable of running SC properly anyway, died time ago, so I'm using a very old, very cheap 5750 from when AMD was still called ATI.) I was hopping to buy one of those nice new RX Vegas you may have heard about (as a very basic 1070 is around $700 in my country and a 1080 more than $900, making the 1080TI just impossible), but it seems quite unlikely right now. I had the opportunity to acquire a RX 580 at $400 some time ago, but unfortunately fate got in the way. Now is more than $500, and not a Sapphire. :mrgreen:

cuisinart8 wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:54 am
Thanks for the replies everyone! I think I'll follow TGS's advice and hold off at least until the update. It'd be nice to be able to get a better idea of where SC is going before buying.
Hey, hey, hey! We need you to drop a couple grand on ships now so Chris will have enough cash to finish the game!
I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them.

Online Now