Return to “Games”

Re: Star Citizen

Matthew Cason wrote:As for physical boxed games? Mercy, I can't remember the last time I saw one of those. Not for the PC, anyhow. Getting harder and harder to find them in stores, unless it's World of Warcraft or the MMO of the month.
They're like Vinyl, Matt. They come and go. The last one I found really exciting was The Witcher: Wild Hunt. Lots in the big box. :angel:

2.4 is up on the PTU. I received an invitation for it and it is both VERY GOOD and perhaps just a little bit bad. Let's start with the bad. They've changed the way hangars work and instead of having everything dynamically placed for you, you manually place all ships and decorative items in your hanger on 'anchor points'. These are tiny, and unless you are right up against one you don't see it. It took me ages just to find an anchor point on the floor to spawn a ship from. And to make matters worse? Apparently, there are both 'small' and 'large' anchor points. A larger ship like a Freelancer or a Retaliator cannot be spawned on a 'small' anchor point. So you have to hunt around for a large one. Which ... looks just like a small one, until you left click and access it. See the problem? That system needs some work. I love being able to customize our hangars and move things around but in many ways that is a step backwards.

Now on to the good news which in my opinion FAR outweighs the bad. PERSISTENCE IS IN! The credits you earn, the items you purchase, the upgrades you make to your vessels now matters and persists. The shops now actually have items for sale and just as foretaste of things to come this is the most exciting major update to the PU that I've seen so far. There are some great YouTube videos out there showcasing the economy side of things so I won't go into it too much but it will only get bigger and more dynamic from here. And I can't stress enough ... IT WILL PERSIST! Once this hits the live PU, you have essentially a living, breathing Star Citizen in mineature. It may just be one star system at this point but it's the most important foundation stone in the structure of the game.

Glad you guys are enjoying SC,I'm no where near patching the game getting stuck at 797.8 meg left every bloody time I try :roll:

Posted on SC forums for some help,only other option is try to download via HTTP problem is all 30 gigs again oh joy !!,and that might not even work either.

quck edit:edited patch file to HTTP and wallah dowloaded with out a hitch all 30 gigs but hey ho it worked !
Now why the original torrent was showing no peers or seeds in the patch ini log file I have no idea,so sticking with HTTP from now on. 8-)

So some recent updates:

Patch 2.4 has gone to the Live servers. With it brings persistence and basic shopping components.

Coming this summer we should expect to see the new "patcher" that will allow for smaller more manageable patches.

CIG claims we will have an awesome summer, most people think the procedural generated planets will come online in that time.

All in all, progress as usual. Onto 2.5!
:D

BMRX wrote:So some recent updates:

Patch 2.4 has gone to the Live servers. With it brings persistence and basic shopping components.

Coming this summer we should expect to see the new "patcher" that will allow for smaller more manageable patches.

CIG claims we will have an awesome summer, most people think the procedural generated planets will come online in that time.

All in all, progress as usual. Onto 2.5!
I really hope something amazing happens soon, because my faith in the project is starting to wane significantly. The fact that really sparked it was the Starfarer Gemini (I have the base Starfarer) is basically just a reskin of the Starfarer and supposedly they call that 'done'. It was supposed to be structurally different and have less cargo space, but it's starting to look like it might just be a straight upgrade with no downsides, e.g I don't know how they can make it have less cargo if there is physically the same amount of cargo space.

So I don't know, I'm getting to the point where I'm wondering if they will start cutting/skimping on other things, more important things... like mechanics. Such as maybe calling the 'item port' system done and just literally running with that as the system by which you swap everything out. Which would be... very crap imo, but if they're willing to skimp out on ships who knows.

Matthew Cason wrote: Let's start with the bad. They've changed the way hangars work and instead of having everything dynamically placed for you, you manually place all ships and decorative items in your hanger on 'anchor points'. These are tiny, and unless you are right up against one you don't see it. It took me ages just to find an anchor point on the floor to spawn a ship from. And to make matters worse? Apparently, there are both 'small' and 'large' anchor points.
Should be easy enough to fix. A hotkey that higlights the 'anchor points' from some distance, different icons for large and small ones, and that particular problem should be solved.

positron wrote:can anyone post their pathcerState file whole?
i cant launch 2.4 .. first i had the no file index which i fixed.. but now when i load the launcher there is no client version , and when i press launch it just hangs.
I'm willing to help, I just can't find the file called pathcerState. Is it in the Star Citizen main directory?

PatcherState, I see you made a typo. Okay here ya go.
Attachments
PatcherState.zip
A file for Star Citizen
(474 Bytes) Downloaded 36 times

Next patch is a bit of a hype train, GrimHex the awaited pirate station is to be added into the current PU by patch 2.5.
https://gfycat.com/FluidGrouchyEastruss ... singhounds
EDIT/
Grim hex was apparently an old mining station that has since been abandoned and is now used as an outlaw haven. I don't believe this will be a protected zone like the Port Olisar is, being able to shoot people inside this station is apparently going to be a thing. I'm interested to see what sort of social experiment this will be. Some are calling for griefing while others think that the pirates will police themselves pretty well.

My personal belief on this station is that there will be certain areas inside the station (like where shops or ship spawning terminals are) will be protected by "pirate guards/npcs" (once they bring AI functionality on that is) these guys probably wont fine you or anything for killing people on the station however I imagine if you start shooting the place up they will probably shoot you as well. As CIG have said there will be areas inside the station that you can have full out firefights with others.

I'm anxious to see what kind of hell this place will be. The door underneath the station has also been confirmed not to be a landing zone. However the "force field" that wide door has looks like the exact same force field seen on the race tracks. The current theory is that participating and watching races on the PU will be a thing.

However most of the hype is around the current news that was dropped on us.

We are to see the implementation of the Cargo system by this year, as well as the introduction of hand tools for salvage and mining. However what I find the most exciting is that they have finally given us word that work is going into improving the overall network code. The expected result will be higher frame rates and instance transfer server side. Finally bringing this into the MMO status it claims to have. As right now I'd consider it just "Online" this network release has been aligned with the 2.7 release. According to their internal release date goals this should be a three month wait. However like we saw with 2.4 this is not always the case. Oh I forgot to mention that 2.7 is supposed to bring a full star system for us to explore as well.

This is meant to be an exciting year according to CIG, if all goes according to plan it most definitely will be.

Chew chew for the hype train.
:D

im really pissed off about star citizen atm..
the launcher crashes (since i update to 2.4)... look at the crash log.. something about the audio too slow or some shit..
looking on the RSI forum i see dozens of pages reporting this bug from almost a year ago. no solution what so ever from RSI.

3 years in development and they cant even make a $%#@ launcher that doesn't crash 100% of the time , while on the other hand keeps selling ships for thousands of dollars .

would be great to buy a ship , but since i cant even load the damn thing i fail to see a reason to do so.

and the reason im pissed is because it looks like such an amazing game , but the launcher and patch system is such a huge pile of steaming shit its beyond belief.

they can revamp the whole cryo engine and make procedural planets but cant make a decent launcher... go figure.

/rant over. :D

Online Now