Return to “Games”

Re: Empyrion

Pretty spot on Talvieno. Their campaign was not well constructed for the type of game they were pitching. Not to mention now that crowd funding is maturing people are a lot more skeptical and for the most part smarter. I hope they manage to get the game to a better place so that they can at least show that they can deliver. What they want to deliver is very ambitious though.

Talvieno wrote:Excellent! I am so glad this didn't die!

Blimey that was quick !!

Yeah maybe the failed KS was the best thing to happen to the game,seems they rallied the coding troops held of until the game was very polished and now it's getting stunningly good reviews hopefully another ARK and Subnautica early access success story on the horizon. 8-)

That's something you don't see very often: a failed Kickstarter being the reason for a game's success. :lol: There may be a lot of block games out there (Minecraft, Space Engineers and the like), but that also means there's a big market for it. If they manage to get people's attention in a very big way, this could be the next big thing. Here's hoping. :thumbup:
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

I have to admit I was KS supporter of this game and was sad it didn't succeed there. But I was quite pleased that they carried on and I have purchased the pre-alpha, and, for the money, I it's been well worth it. I see a lot of potential here. True, the current state is somewhat limited, but they are at least having updates about every week and soon will have a significant update. I'm not a PVP person so I focus on how interesting the PVE encounters are, and currently there are some that are challenging, and other planets that are not so. I'm looking forward to them getting the procedurally generated systems up and running so I can be off exploring.

Would I recommend this game? For a person like me, yes, highly. But if you are looking for exceptional graphics like LT promises to be, or a vast variety of things to do, maybe not at this point. But for the $16 price, and if you are OK with block building type games, the I'd say give it a try. Just remember it is only in pre-alpha. Get more information at their site, http://empyriononline.com/. (BTW, this does NOT mean I'm not excited about LT and plan to purchase it as soon as it is available. LT looks awesome and I wish I'd gotten in on the KS campaign for it.)

:thumbup:

HowSerendipitous wrote:I've been umming and arring about this one. Looks good but would I find the time to play it? :squirrel:
I still get the occasional update from them, HowSerendipitous, but I haven't really kept up with what's going on since the KS was cancelled. :angel:

I'm also doubtful if I would be able to find time to play it. :(

Victor Tombs wrote:
HowSerendipitous wrote:I've been umming and arring about this one. Looks good but would I find the time to play it? :squirrel:
I still get the occasional update from them, HowSerendipitous, but I haven't really kept up with what's going on since the KS was cancelled. :angel:

I'm also doubtful if I would be able to find time to play it. :(
If you guys can't find time to play Empyrion where are you going to find time to play LT??? :crazy:

nwyllie wrote:If you guys can't find time to play Empyrion where are you going to find time to play LT???
:lol: Josh Parnell's "little game" had time allocated to it years ago by me, nwyllie, but with several other big titles in the pipeline decisions have to be made. :)

I still believe that Empyrion will be worth playing though. :angel:

LT is Freelancer 2! Nothing can hold a candle to that. ;) :D

Not been looking forward to LT quite as long as most of you but long enough. I'm hoping LT will be a PVE replacement for me for Eve Online. Had to give that one up due to greifers :(

Empyrion has turned out to be a good filler while LT int he works.

As much as this game is good and has great potential it is still as yet too small scale for my tastes. The planets feel small the system feels small and I want them to succeed but their ambitions might just be too high. We shall see.
Empyrion: Galactic Survival

I started playing Empytion: Galactic Survival under Josh's recommendation the other day, and it's reaaaaaally really cool. I feel like the developer is a huge fan of space games and picked up Minecraft one day and wished he could fly to the moon. Aside from the Minecraft comparisons I'm gonna make, it has a ton of its own features and a unique feel.

The game mixes survival and space exploration fairly well. You crashland on an alien planet and have to forage and hunt for food and survival supplies while fending off attacks from alien drones in the beginning, which plays much like Minecraft in survival mode. Survival becomes more and more trivial as you mine more ores and build enough technology to sustain yourself in your Base, which you build from scratch. The game has a really cool aesthetic that really makes it look like you're building a sci-fi base- and you don't just use cubes; you have the option of several different 3D shapes for each type of block that lets you create more realistic looking structures.

In addition to building structures, you can build ships that let you leave the planet and visit other plants!!! We went to the moon last night and it was sooooo cooooool. A lot of the materials you need to make ships that can exit the atmosphere don't naturally spawn on your first planet, so we had to raid an alien base to earn them. The game progression feels more meaningful than some other sandbox games because it gives you access to significant features of the game- you have to be a certain level to build weapons to raid alien bases, to build equipment to leave the planet, and to eventually build a ship that can go into warp drive to visit other systems.

My only criticism its the game's really steep learning curve. The UI, especially crafting, is messy and could really use an experienced UI/UX designer to clean it up. You also have a ton of features thrown at you at the same time- you have to survive and eat and build, and since it's going for a more life-like sci-fi feel than Minecraft, these systems can be a bit complicated. That being said, once you gain a few levels and you're able to easily raid alien bases and build sophisticated weapons and structures, it almost gets too easy. The difficulty of defending yourself against and raiding enemy aliens doesn't scale up with your level, at least from what I've experienced so far. That's more of a balancing tweak than an innate design flaw, though.

Overall, it's fairly feature-complete for being at such an early stage. I would definitely recommend giving it a try.

Also, corndogs are a plant native to all planets.... :shock:

Empyrion on Steam
Ship Inspiration Pinterest!! (send me stuff)

"You’ve got to work on something dangerous. You have to work on something that makes you uncertain. Something that makes you doubt yourself... because it stimulates you to do things you haven’t done before. The whole thing is if you know where you’re going, you’ve gone, as the poet says. And that’s death."
- Stephen Sondheim

Online Now