Return to “Games”

Re: Reassembly

Talvieno wrote:They're streaming a contest right now, in case anyone wants to watch. :)
I am on that! :D

Bye. :wave:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

Hey sorry I didn't respond sooner, just noticed all of the replies.

The AI is always being improved, but I think its at a good place for the single player. The multiplayer is much more complicated and will probably have a lot of AI updates even after release. This does feedback into the single player a bit too and improve that AI, which isn't always a good thing since we want to keep the difficulty curve at the right place.

As to size, well that is more complicated. You can make ridiculously massive ships, but the mass starts getting to the point where no amount of thrust will make up for it and they can barely move. Usually people balance it out a bit more so the maximum ship size is closer to the max size you see on the Kickstarter campaign, although even those are very large compared to starting ships.

There is a hard limit of 8,000 P to power the ship. Even that is an arbitrary limit we put in because we noticed larger ships start to cause performance issues, and you can remove that limit pretty easily if you mess with the config files.

I was meaning "AI" more along the lines of "How intelligent are 'civilizations'?" Do they work completely on their own? Is it all fully simulated, or does it use tricks to place pre-generated populations in places they're needed? Do they spawn at need or are they always being simulated? How are more distant populations handled? Are they loaded into memory and LoD simulated, or do they freeze in place until you get close? That sort of thing.

The ship size stuff sounds very good. :thumbup: I'm liking this game more and more all the time.
Idunno wrote:
Talvieno wrote:They're streaming a contest right now, in case anyone wants to watch. :)

Why didn't I see you there, then? You should've popped in and said hi. :P :) Arthur (the developer) showed a good degree of interest in Limit Theory.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Idunno wrote:

Why didn't I see you there, then? You should've popped in and said hi. :P :) Arthur (the developer) showed a good degree of interest in Limit Theory.
I tried but then I stopped trying when I realized you needed an account. :oops:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

Talvieno wrote:I was meaning "AI" more along the lines of "How intelligent are 'civilizations'?" Do they work completely on their own? Is it all fully simulated, or does it use tricks to place pre-generated populations in places they're needed? Do they spawn at need or are they always being simulated? How are more distant populations handled? Are they loaded into memory and LoD simulated, or do they freeze in place until you get close? That sort of thing.
Ah ok, to be honest I'm not 100% sure on all of those things and would have to check with Arthur on the code. From my observations of play testing since April the map is seeded with factions in different locations at the start, the ships in these factions then gather resources and drop them off at a station to reproduce, or reassemble into larger ships if they can't drop their resources off. I believe there is some level of action even if you are not currently in the area, as I often notice the map change when returning to an area, but I'm not exactly sure how that works.
Talvieno wrote:I'm starting to get a bit concerned. If it keeps going at this rate it's not going to get funded in time. :(
While we want all the support we can get, and don't take any of it for granted, we are almost certain we will fund. Kickstarter campaigns typically follow a pattern of heavy support at the start and end of a campaign, especially in the last 48 hours when the reminder emails go out. We're at 96% right now, so we should reach our goal in the next day or two, and then see a big jump in the last two days.

* looks at bank account*

:cry:

Rereads KS

"This project will only be funded if at least $28,000 is pledged by Fri, Oct 3 2014 9:00 PM EDT."

Oh you are so lucky this is payday for me.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

I think they could've gotten a lot better funding if they'd increased the rewards additively instead of dropping things the farther up they went. Some of the spacing seems a bit high, and some of the rewards a bit pricey for what you're getting in return. But I'm just being nitpicky. I don't know much about Kickstarter anyway. :P
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Online Now