Return to “Games”

Star Traders 2 KS

Please pinch me I think I'm dreaming it seems old school games like Starflight and the traveller series are now coming out of the woodwork,so I nearly passed out with joy when I popped over to Kicktraq and found my favourite mobile game ever as a KS sequel in Star Traders 2 !!,better still as I'm poor this month I backed this as an early bird and full game included at release for £5 dollars. :clap:

All I need now is a Sundog remake and I will die happy.

Star Traders 2
Last edited by darker70 on Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Star Traders 2 KS

I saw another reference today to this project, which lacks about $3000 with 3 days to go.

A number of the promised features sound appealing: turn-based trading and combat, strong RPG elements, crew management, factions, individual character motivations, story arcs, and a randomly-generated universe.

Other aspects are less appealing to me:

1. The developers are targeting both mobile (iOS and Android) and desktop (Windows and Linux) platforms. I've been burned before by KS projects that blew their time and money fiddling with the mobile versions with still no PC version years later. (Star Command comes to mind.) I have no interest in mobile versions, but developing for them is so different from developing for desktop that there's a risk the PC version will be delayed or a poor port.

2. The monetization model for the mobile versions is not discussed anywhere that I can see.

3. One of the pledge levels talks about "Luck Cards." I'm not a fan of the card metaphor showing up in computer games. That's usually just lazy design for a new game (i.e., not a computerized version of an existing physical card game).

Also, "cards" has a whiff of an implication of selling special benefits as a way to make money from mobile games... but then that's a completely pointless feature for a "buy it once" desktop game. And the developers don't explain this anywhere. That's not a good sign.

4. The developers keep using the word "quadrant" for more than four areas of space. I do not think that word means what they think it means.

So I'm on the fence personally about this one. But others here may find it to their tastes.

If you do like it but haven't pledged at some level, now would be the time. :)

I am actually very unhappy about this KS. I am a happy owner of two of these boys' games both Star Trader (Pay version) and their 4x Star Trader (Pay version) game. The fact that they are doing a kickstarter to raise funds for a sequel leaves a somewhat... foul taste in my mouth. This to me seems like a misuse of crowd funding by basically using it as a pre-order system as one doesn't really exist afaik for mobile apps. The fact is with their games they should easily have enough money to afford this on their own, if they don't then they're doing something wrong imo. The games are great, but they are charging people for them. So I just don't know how they can not have the money to fund this project themselves.

That being said, at least they aren't simply rehashing Star Trader 1 with some enhancements. It does look like they are building it from scratch and it will hopefully be a lot better. I have been conflicted whether to back because of my aforementioned issue.

TGS wrote:I am actually very unhappy about this KS. I am a happy owner of two of these boys' games both Star Trader (Pay version) and their 4x Star Trader (Pay version) game. The fact that they are doing a kickstarter to raise funds for a sequel leaves a somewhat... foul taste in my mouth. This to me seems like a misuse of crowd funding by basically using it as a pre-order system as one doesn't really exist afaik for mobile apps. The fact is with their games they should easily have enough money to afford this on their own, if they don't then they're doing something wrong imo. The games are great, but they are charging people for them. So I just don't know how they can not have the money to fund this project themselves.

That being said, at least they aren't simply rehashing Star Trader 1 with some enhancements. It does look like they are building it from scratch and it will hopefully be a lot better. I have been conflicted whether to back because of my aforementioned issue.
As per the developers themselves the funds generated by the Kickstarter will cover approximately 50% of the planned budget for Star Traders 2, with the balance coming out of their own pockets. I don't know about you, but I don't have any problem with a developer coming to Kickstarter to test the waters and defray some of the development costs.

Furthermore, the heavy engagement that was necessary by the developer to raise the moderate funding target tends to lead me to believe that none of Trese Brothers Games' other releases were runaway hits. As such, I am not certain whether it is reasonable to conclude that something is rotten in the House of Trese simply because they cannot or do not want to caddy up $100K plus for a new game with uncertain prospects.

For purposes of full disclosure, I backed this project at the early bird level.
I know not what life is, nor death.
Year in year out-all but a dream.
Both Heaven and Hell are left behind;
I stand in the moonlit dawn,
Free from clouds of attachment.

Online Now