Return to “Games”

Re: Shallow Space

The latest from project Overhaul as we present to you the third and juiciest update so far. As well as the latest developments there are a number of GIFs showing off zone switching, and procedural generated landscapes; really, it's a must see! Check it out.

"But we need to keep the maps fresh. One thing we learned from the current alpha is that isolated clusters of rocks and gas do little to create a juicy landscape (so to speak.) So we’re now using fractal algorithms to forge interesting shapes and obstacles in the new arenas, and have other tricks up our sleeve to ensure the landscape remains fresh and challenging."

The action hots up as Eve makes a break to leave Eden, but with the might of the Pleiades authority against her – will she make it? Not without help that’s for sure… This is Part 2 of the latest Shallow Space lore-building tale ‘Paradijs Lost.'

"Eve froze in shock, unable to move or scream, just watch as the pink mist settled and the headless cadaver collapsed at her feet.

The second policemen had already started moving, diving down while he pulled a pistol from under his coat. He fired a shot, the report echoing off the obsidian, the flash blinding Eve’s night vision. A sickening double thud then silence. Eve stared, waiting for her night vision to return. The second agent was lying down. The prone position for a steady aim. But why wasn’t he firing?"

Talvieno wrote:I just noticed - are the planets baked into the background? Were they always like that? :think: I don't seem to remember them being like that before... Perhaps they were, and I simply didn't notice?
Oh no, they are 3D objects - we were gonna bake them, good job we didn't really!

What's going on round here anyways? - it's a little quiet!

Mawhrin-skel wrote:
Talvieno wrote:I just noticed - are the planets baked into the background? Were they always like that? :think: I don't seem to remember them being like that before... Perhaps they were, and I simply didn't notice?
Oh no, they are 3D objects - we were gonna bake them, good job we didn't really!

What's going on round here anyways? - it's a little quiet!
they sure look like baked in in the "zone" view, on the global map they are obviously modeled, but the close view looks like baked in.

and not much is going on, the IRC is alive as always, but its mostly a bunch of friends messing around by now rather than an LT area.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:they sure look like baked in in the "zone" view, on the global map they are obviously modeled, but the close view looks like baked in.
Naaah, no baking at all - the zone view is fully 3D as well so you can move around it, eventually you'll be able to zoom out from that zone view to a plantary system map, I have a prototype video I made somewhere - hold on...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwmJnIvODqs

There we go. :geek:

I found this through the folks on IRC and I have to say, I'm buying this just for the graphics, even better if it's got good gameplay! (I'm a sucker for pretty space battles. :3 )
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Black--Snow wrote:I found this through the folks on IRC and I have to say, I'm buying this just for the graphics, even better if it's got good gameplay! (I'm a sucker for pretty space battles. :3 )
I'm pleased the good folk of the IRC managed to convince you, Black--Snow. :thumbup:

As I said, the developer deserves all the support he can get. Especially now Shallow Space has those Freelancer type attributes I've been waiting to see. :D

:? He does appear to have gone quiet the last few weeks though. :( Maybe we've upset him.

Ooopsy, sorry guys haven't been checking the forums as much - keeping head down, the official forums are picking up a bit now too - keeping me on my toes! Anyways am here now :wave: standby for uber dazzling shit:

The first is a video showing off some of the changes to Shallow Space with the UI, zones system and ship movement which now use PhysX. Also, it's our 50th video as we continue the voyage - checkout the channel page, we've been recording since day 1!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4lYjVQrdDY

We have the new 'Open-world Overhaul' blog article (#5) including ramblings about where we are with the update and what we're eluding too. It's nice little round-up of the recent events as we continue to remould the game making the most of the procedurally generated glory we've stumbled upon.

"The game also now has a rudimentary AI that will simulate such tasks as auto-attacking, mining and trading (soon to be extended with patrolling etc.) and it’s all driven by a background concurrency simulator dubbed ‘Cerebrus’..."

We'll also talk about the zones system and beyond and look at how we might tackle the complicated beast of the zone map. Check it!

Also, part 3 of the latest installment of lore; 'Paradijs Lost' is now also available Commander!

'The flames outside burned away and Jack’s body relaxed. He gave the engines a little more boost and the kick of the prime mover transmitted through Eve’s seat. She saw a mountain range in the distance, sharp cliffs and buttes coming into focus as they closed in. A sinking feeling filled her.“That’s our destination, isn’t it?" '

Mawhrin-skel wrote:Ooopsy, sorry guys haven't been checking the forums as much - keeping head down, the official forums are picking up a bit now too - keeping me on my toes! Anyways am here now :wave: :wave: standby for uber dazzling shit..
:shifty: Speak of the devil... *chuckle*

Thanks for the update, Mawhrin-skel. :thumbup: It always is uber dazzling "stuff". ;) :angel:

Online Now