Return to “Games”

Re: Starpoint Gemini 2

Its written "you" :P

Fox:
Combat is tactical/twitch based, but has a relatively slow pace (compared to freelancer for example).

You turn your ship with wasd in 3D space and have to aim your turrets manually with your mouse while doing so.

You also have a few special actions with cooldowns at your .
Those actions increase temporarily your weapon damage for example.

turrets also have limited arcs and gun numbers, so you have to maneuver to keep your target in as much turret arcs as possible while staying out of the enemies arcs

Must say that i really like the new update, that is full of lot of fixes and content.

Some of it are: new nebula content (especially the one with lightning effects - stormy nebula ), blueprints system and energy redistribution shortcuts.
Blueprints is a real deal, where u get blueprint parts and collect them to finally make a new upgrade/weapon or later build a rare ship.

Its good to see that the dev guys are making an effort...

After much deliberation and reviewing of other people's thoughts on this game, I finally bought into the early access for Starpoint Gemini 2 on Steam. I was dubious at first, after reading that the original Starpoint wasn't great. Scrolling down the Steam store page revealed all thumbs up from the six or so "review" posters at the bottom, and no thumbs down. I figured that was enough to pay the dollars to try something different. I'm not sure I'm keen on the RPG style elements, but I'm willing to, as I said, try something different.

The top review/comment referenced Freelancer as a comparisson, and that Freelancer was also this user's favourite game. The chap sounded enough like me that I should listen to what his 22hrs in Starpoint Gemini 2 showed him to lead him to that conclusion. It's almost finished downloading now so I may return here to either gripe about or commend this interesting looking title. Let's hope it's the latter.

On the Freelancer note, I installed it again recently and put on the Crossfire 1.9 mod. Although that mod improves the graphics, mainly nebula and effects, I still desire a newer space sim. Of the litter that are out there at the moment, Starpoint Gemini 2 seems to be the most complete and impressive so far.

Oop, download has just finished whilst writing this. Diving in now, wish me luck!
“Curse your sudden, but inevitable betrayal”

t00thPIK wrote:I may return here to either gripe about or commend this interesting looking title.
Please do return and give us your thoughts on the game, t00thPIK :thumbup: I, for one, would like to know what a Freelancer player thinks about the game and how it compares with the bible of space sims. :angel:

Well I'm back. I gave Starpoint Gemini 2 a go. Spent quite a few hrs on it this afternoon. It's interesting, but not sure I could replace Freelancer with it, being that it's multi crew ships only. Feels like it would be a lot better in multiplayer. It's not a bad game by any means, just not really what I'm looking for at the moment. There really has not been an open world space game like Freelancer since Freelancer really, has there? Part of what made Freelancer so great was the feel of immersion it gives you. There's no docking proceedures in Starpoint Gemini 2, just a popup interface when you arrive at a station, and very little chatter in space. Clunky as it was, the traffic chatter in Freelancer made it feel like a living, breathing world. Additionally, having a 'realistic' docking proceedure gives much more depth to the experience in my opinion.

To be fair though, I need to delve into SG2 to get more of a feel for where its depths lie. It definitely has potential.

So, seeing as SG2 has failed to grab me for now, I've decided to give Space Engineers a go instead. I'm a big Minecraft fan, so it's always been on my radar. Not like Freelancer at all of course, but Minecraft in space is a hard combination to pass up, and now that Space Engineers has survival mode, it's time I take the plunge. I'm sure there would be a thread for that here somewhere too 8-)

NoWay wrote:So for u guys that didnt buy the game yet like t00thPIK :)
Oh I did buy it, NoWay. There wasn't a sale on for us Australians at the time though. If there is now, my timing couldn't have been worse!

Edit: yeah just checked and I do see the special now. Shame I missed it but $10 more or so isn't the end of the world.

It's a shame the game isn't multiplayer. Considering how open the free mode is, multiplayer would suite well. As I said earlier, the lack of docking procedures, while a little immersion breaking for me, would work well in a multiplayer environment. Considering you can eventually build a fleet of mercenary pilots to follow you around, it's odd they didn't implement some sort of multiplayer.

t00thPIK wrote:Well I'm back. I gave Starpoint Gemini 2 a go.
Thanks for letting us know, t00thPIK. :thumbup: Based on what you've said I will be giving the game a miss. It doesn't sound like a bad game, just one that doesn't particularly interest me.

You seem to appreciate the same elements of Freelancer that I do and immersion in a game is a prerequisite for me also. ;) :angel:

Online Now