Return to “Games”

Re: Underworld Ascendant

wizaerd wrote:I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I don't really see anything different here in terms of the developers and how they communicate with their fan base, and how other developers say they'll communicate with their fan base either. Especially for something on Kickstarter. They all seem to make these claims.

The gameplay doesn't really seem all that different either, I can find all sorts of examples, again especially on Kickstarter, where developers say the same thing as it relates to the game they want to make. Emergent gameplay, no set path, everything reacts dynamically.
And I appreciate your skepticism. I wouldn't have expressed the opinions I did without some evidence to back them up, though.

To the claim that OtherSide have a distinctive design vision, while some team members are new, many of the core group worked on the primary Looking Glass games: Ultima Underworld, System Shock, and Thief (as well as Terra Nova). The central design concept for these games was about enabling emergent play through systems-interactions that support multiple styles of play. I personally played all of those games, along with many other games over the years, and I can confirm that Looking Glass actually backed up their talk of emergent systemic play with the games they made. Perfectly? Of course not. These games were made in the early 1990s; there were limitations. But they made more out of the resources of PCs of the day for player-focused, systems-driven gameplay than any other developer did (with the possible exception of Ion Storm Austin), and more than many have done since then. There are no guarantees for Underworld Ascendant, but given the demonstrated history of OtherSide's leads and the specific comments they've made about their systemic-gameplay design philosophy, I don't currently have any reason to think they're lying about or over-hyping anything.

To the claim that OtherSide are more engaged with their fans than other developers, I can't claim to have visited every forum for every game ever made, so my statement is subjective. What I can state as truth is my personal experience that of all the in-development games I've watched over the years, the participation by the OtherSide team so far on their forums is near the top of the list. As I said, this may decline after/if they hit the magic number on the Kickstarter drive. But for now, they definitely are very chatty. You're welcome to confirm this for yourself by visiting their Underworld Ascendant forum. If after verifying that for yourself you still see no difference between them and any other developer, I'd be interested in hearing that.
wizaerd wrote:I've yet to see anything that really compels me to back this. This is where some really snazzy graphics would come in handy...
If they focused on snazzy graphics now, how would they be any different from all those other developers?

At any rate, here's their update in which they directly address this question of placeholder graphics.

With the benefit of hindsight, I kinda wish that they had approached this a bit differently.

I think that OtherSide, being fully aware of how esteemed LookingGlass is in the eyes of a vocal minority, may have mistakenly thought that the same would apply to the general gaming community, 15 years later. In reality, 15 years is a very long time, consoles have taken over, and I think a majority of gamers are utterly unaware of (and perhaps uninterested in) what LookingGlass did :(

OtherSide have mentioned that they have acquired a decent amount of external funding for the game. That being the case, I think things would have turned out better if they had spent more time working on the game before running this campaign.

I would imagine that some of the PC magazines would have been interested in running stories blending the history of LookingGlass with the future of OtherSide and the new Underworld -- but that requires some significant lead time. Talk to the right editor, and maybe it could have even been a cover story...

I also think they significantly underestimated the extent to which some shiny graphics can assist with marketing. Everything they've said about placeholder graphics is true and logical; but I honestly believe that some up-front effort spent on 'marketing' the look of the game -- or at least one possible look -- would have paid dividends for them. Again, I think they put too much faith in pre-existing enthusiasm for the original games.

If they had been able to build a community and generate more anticipation for the game prior to the campaign getting underway, I think it could only improve the reach and success of the Kickstarter once it did happen. If they had the money to do this, but didn't, I think they may have shot themselves in the foot somewhat.

I guess maybe it depends on what one thinks Kickstarter is for.

If it's for making as much money as possible, then it probably does make sense to spend time on shiny externals like graphics, even if they'll have to be changed later.

If it's for accurately showing off what's important, so that the people who back it are the ones who understand what they'll really be getting -- even if that means fewer pledges -- then it makes sense to emphasize internals and trust that enough people will understand what "placeholder graphics" means to hit the funding target.

My impression is that OtherSide are unapologetically taking that second path. I believe they're right to do so because that is accurately and honestly setting expectations. But reasonable people can disagree about things.

On a related note, I just saw this today. It's from a blog post on Feb 13, 2015, by Ken Levine, talking about what he did to succeed in the game development industry:
Without Looking Glass, without that motley crew of edge cases and outsiders, there is no Underworld, no System Shock, no Irrational Games and I’d venture no Deus Ex, no Stalker, no narrative first person shooters of any kind.

I backed it and I have never played or even seen an Ultima game (never played Deus Ex either). I had my few games and stuck with it. I would back on a higher tier, but a physical copy of the game wouldn't do me any good...no CD drive with my new rig :lol: and I don't really feel like getting an external one tbh. There is still plenty of time for the KS goal to be reached. If necessary, I'll back higher with no extra reward. And consoles may have taken over but they still can't do everything a PC can just yet. I'll never buy a console as long as I live (or as long as PC games exist) simply for the fact that I grew up on PCs and played a few games for consoles throughout college but I'll always go back to the PC. As my best friend says:

"Praise GabeN"
Image "Everyone needs to have their avatar's edited to have afros." -Charley Deallus

Dear diary: Today, I got to translate cupcakes into words!

depths awaken under world.

That's almost as tasty as the cupcakes themselves. Thanks for baking!
Welcome to Limit Theory where everything is procedural and the post count doesn't matter. ~Grumblesaur
12 FPS on your abacus? Sheesh, check out Mr Moneybags here. I can squeeze maybe 5 FPS out of my potato, and that's when I'm overclocking it. ~ThymineC

Online Now