Return to “Games”

Re: Skyrim

Flatfingers wrote:ENB isn't too bad as long as you keep Ambient Occlusion and Reflection turned off; those will devour your FPS.
With a few changes to my hardware, a shed load of quality mods and the final wrinkles worked out of ENB I can honestly say Skyrim looks amazing. :D Not only does it look like a different game in the graphics department but with all the additional NPC's and story content it's almost like playing a new TES game. I'm stunned by the improvements the mods have made and I'm already losing many hours of my life in the awesome new surroundings. :D

Blessings on all those modders who made this possible. :thumbup:

Cornflakes_91 wrote:Why arent there any modpacks for skyrim as the ones for minecraft, would make such setups much easier :lol:

Take all mods, assemble them into a package and share the package
How could I not agree with you on this, Cornflakes. :thumbup: There is a very good visual guide to implementing ENB which contains some sound advice on what to avoid in your main installation but as far as including the rest of the awesome mods are concerned it can mean a bit of trial and error with some cursing. Loot reruns plus recourse to trusty Wrye Bash were frequent. I still found that one or two mods refused to play nice together but they weren't important. If you delve deep enough into the wealth of guidance on the interweb you can usually find some frustrated player who has experienced the same problem(s).

After many hours of work (which it most definitely was) I almost wept with joy when all issues were resolved. I wasted no time in doing a full backup of my triumph. ;) :lol:

Oh yes please, Cornflakes. All of that would be like Christmas for the players. Maybe the modders will get their act together for some of the TES remakes. There is quite a lot of co-operation going on between modders at the moment but it's still a bit patchy.

By the time we see the next installment in the franchise let's hope these difficulties will be not so fond memories. ;)

Groufac wrote:There was a project of "semi automated installer" on STEP forums but I haven't heard of the project for a long time ...
Yes, I saw that, Groufac, butr I was nearing the end of installing all my optional mods after ENB by that time. It looked to be very similar to what we are talking about. Considering the number of frustrated players it seems surprising the project appears to be going nowhere. Considering the interest generated by the work of the TES Renewal Project perhaps we will see some progress.

I do like it when a modder has the decency to list those mods with which his/her work is incompatible. That saved me a few headaches. :angel:

If you are using Steam Workshop, it's a fairly easy process,
as there are quite a few bundled mods on there,
and they are only a single click away.

(Example)
Last edited by N810 on Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
"A sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
- Arthur C. Clarke

I decided to put aside my heavy armor Imperial and reinstall Skyrim following STEP-Core (and whatever follows). I'm halfway through it and I can only say... what a tedious task! Okay, performance will improve (it was already great, but with the lot of graphics mods that I haven't installed before, who knows) and stability will also improve. But man, what a pain in the a**se! It's incredible how many little things should've been taken into consideration for each mod, each step... Lots of exceptions, lots of "tweak that, make that meta rule in LOOT... argghhh! Good to know my knew experience with the game will be 100x better than until now, but well.

So, yeah, some sort of API, tool, program, whatever to make this arduous process a little faster would be more than welcome in my eyes :D :thumbup:
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

Katawa wrote:if anyone's not using the nexus mod manager you're doing it wrong
I have tried all the Mod managers since Morrowind
(and installing mods manualy)
and I have to say the steam workshops is my favorite,
not only does it check compatiblity for you, and instal it for you,
it also automaticaly updates mods with newer versions,
and hightlights any conflicts in yellow or red and mods my be
uninstalled or disabled with a simple checkbox. :monkey:
"A sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
- Arthur C. Clarke

Online Now