Return to “Games”

Re: Skyrim

I felt the pull to go back to Skyrim and decided to give the Special Edition a try.

First thing I noticed was how little they actually changed anything from a visual stand point. If you play mod free you can hardly notice anything. A few new lighting effects, better shadows, I think they improved how the banners moved in the wind. Very tiny.

However, I noticed a massive change when I started to pile on the mods. The game runs without any slow down at all with mod combos that would have dragged down the regular edition, probably to the point of a CTD. Though I tried to stick to as many "Special Edition" mods as possible, I found many of the regular skyrim mods still worked fine.

No SKSE64 yet, which means some of the more complex mods won't work, or have new SE ports. (mostly lacking menus) Apparently the creator of Skyrim UI is still upset about the whole paid mod uprising and it doesn't look like he will be porting that over...

I have to wonder if they released the SE because the engine is what they are using for the next Elder Scrolls?
My Signature

Zanteogo wrote:I felt the pull to go back to Skyrim and decided to give the Special Edition a try.

First thing I noticed was how little they actually changed anything from a visual stand point. If you play mod free you can hardly notice anything. A few new lighting effects, better shadows, I think they improved how the banners moved in the wind. Very tiny.

However, I noticed a massive change when I started to pile on the mods. The game runs without any slow down at all with mod combos that would have dragged down the regular edition, probably to the point of a CTD. Though I tried to stick to as many "Special Edition" mods as possible, I found many of the regular skyrim mods still worked fine.

No SKSE64 yet, which means some of the more complex mods won't work, or have new SE ports. (mostly lacking menus) Apparently the creator of Skyrim UI is still upset about the whole paid mod uprising and it doesn't look like he will be porting that over...

I have to wonder if they released the SE because the engine is what they are using for the next Elder Scrolls?
I think it was just to quieten down those who want TES6 now.
They apparently have 7 things in the works, Fo4 VR, TESV for Switch, A new mobile game, 2 new IPs, and 2 other undisclosed things (TES and Fo most likely) so they are sure busy.
But in a few years we should start seeing bethesda games ruin GotY for everyone else :D
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

My experience with Skyrim SE, both before and after modding, has seen two very welcome improvements:
  • much faster loading times
  • much less crashy
I assume Skyrim SE is really just "we made a bunch of little changes under the hood for consoles, so we might as well let you PC gamers have this new version, too." So I wasn't expecting many graphical improvements. Distant waterfalls remain "frozen" without a mod, for example.

Even so, I certainly don't mind my Skyrim being peppier and more stable, and it was fun to run through the quests again and try some different choices.

I am honestly surprised we haven't got any sort of teaser announcement yet for the next TES.

Not counting the stupid MMO, this has been a crazy large gap for such a successful game.

The small rumours we have received is that they have had a small team working on early production for the last year anyway. Looks like at best we might get an early 2018 release.

I wasn't a massive fan of the new Fallout mind you. The whole dumbing down of the skills/perks to a whole new level. With shooting everyone being the main and often only way to complete quests. Not a horrible game, but certainly not timeless like Skyrim.
Last edited by Zanteogo on Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Signature

Flatfingers wrote:My experience with Skyrim SE, both before and after modding, has seen two very welcome improvements:
  • much faster loading times
  • much less crashy
I assume Skyrim SE is really just "we made a bunch of little changes under the hood for consoles, so we might as well let you PC gamers have this new version, too." So I wasn't expecting many graphical improvements. Distant waterfalls remain "frozen" without a mod, for example.

Even so, I certainly don't mind my Skyrim being peppier and more stable, and it was fun to run through the quests again and try some different choices.
it's more like... here's all the popular mods PC gamers have ben using, ported to Console, also some patches.
"A sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
- Arthur C. Clarke

Zanteogo wrote:I am honestly surprised we haven't got any sort of teaser announcement yet for the next TES.

Not counting the stupid MMO, this has been a crazy large gap for such a successful game.

The small rumours we have received is that they have had a small team working on early production for the last year anyways. Looks like at best we might get an early 2018 release.

I wasn't a massive fan of the new Fallout mind you. The whole dumbing down of the skills/perks to a whole new level. With shooting everyone being the main and often only way to complete quests. Not a horrible game, but certainly not timeless like Skyrim.
Remember, Bethesda have an E3 appearance this year, and the never announce early, hype is short and brutal with Bethesda games :D
If they announce something, it'll be 11/11 again.
Beth are a little hard for that number
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Online Now