Return to “Games”

Re: Skyrim

To me its looks like typical short-term quarterly report thinking of management.
It might generate some extra revenue from games that are out of rotation (Fallout 4, Skyrim), but ultimately will hurt their long term reputation and thus also income.

As a shareholder I would be really unhappy about that, because they know that Betheshda has had a pretty good name in the industry and with players. And that is an actual value (income in the future) that might be jeopardized (to a certain degree) by short term sale goals.
Even if the (free) mods do not let Betheshda earn cash directly, they very much do so indirectly (as Incentive for more players to play the game, and thus make it more popular and keep new people purchasing the product).

It was also obviously poorly planned, as the offered mods in Fallout 4 are pretty poor compared to what would be possible to offer.
They would have had a much better reaction by the reviews, If they would have offered substantial content (like new NPC sidekicks, or a complete new location/site to fight through)

Well I got to play 14 hours worth of Skyrim during the free weekend. It was enough to convince me to buy this game (the original) the next time it goes on sale under $20. What sold me on it was the ability to break into every single house if I wanted to, being able to take down both common man and bandit, and the fact that the one guy I did take down actually had a journal of his travels which gave me great insight into the character and how he lived before I eliminated him. He was an adventurer who was brave and wished to fight some terrible beasts which he had only heard stories of. It's this extra detail that I wasn't expecting, along with the dozens, if not hundreds of short stories which are scattered throughout Skyrim which sold me on it.

The developers cared about the content and history of their characters. They wanted a murderous player to know that these characters were more than just NPCs. I'm amazed by that fact.

BFett wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:27 pm
Well I got to play 14 hours worth of Skyrim during the free weekend. It was enough to convince me to buy this game (the original) the next time it goes on sale under $20. What sold me on it was the ability to break into every single house if I wanted to, being able to take down both common man and bandit, and the fact that the one guy I did take down actually had a journal of his travels which gave me great insight into the character and how he lived before I eliminated him. He was an adventurer who was brave and wished to fight some terrible beasts which he had only heard stories of. It's this extra detail that I wasn't expecting, along with the dozens, if not hundreds of short stories which are scattered throughout Skyrim which sold me on it.

The developers cared about the content and history of their characters. They wanted a murderous player to know that these characters were more than just NPCs. I'm amazed by that fact.
I enjoyed reading your post, BFett. :thumbup: :) I don't need to tell you how highly I rate the game. The vanilla experience is superb but once you know what you like you will find many mods to enhance and extend your interest. Thinking about it I probably felt the same way about each and every game in the Elder Scrolls series but the mods available in Skyrim make a huge difference to the longevity of the game. :D

:shifty: I'm somewhat concerned about what we will see in the next chapter of TES but I'm hoping for a similar experience. :angel:

So, I played Skyrim SE over the weekend and sunk a lovely 6 hours into it..
However, I then tried to sink some newbie hours into vanilla Skyrim (original) and I've hit a snag I think.
I was looting a body when being fired upon by arrows.. Something barrows something, up in the mountain when trying to do the first mission for Uncle Jarl.
So I stop looting, and I'm moving all slow.. but my bags are well underweight (196/300)..
Any ideas why? I was so loving being a 2-handed warhammer wielding kaijit! :cry:
Dodging arrows was brill, then running headlong with a single heavy-handed hit.. or two, just for fun! :lol:
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

FormalMoss wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:57 pm
So, I played Skyrim SE over the weekend and sunk a lovely 6 hours into it..
However, I then tried to sink some newbie hours into vanilla Skyrim (original) and I've hit a snag I think.
I was looting a body when being fired upon by arrows.. Something barrows something, up in the mountain when trying to do the first mission for Uncle Jarl.
So I stop looting, and I'm moving all slow.. but my bags are well underweight (196/300)..
Any ideas why? I was so loving being a 2-handed warhammer wielding kaijit! :cry:
Dodging arrows was brill, then running headlong with a single heavy-handed hit.. or two, just for fun! :lol:
I seem to recall a weight bug that went away by equipping and unequipping your weapon. But that was with modded carry weight so that might not be it.
A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week.

In magenta we trust

Talvieno wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:59 pm
Probably a disease of some sort. I seem to remember there being a disease that would do that. Check to see. Also check to make sure capslock is off (walk/run toggle) and you aren't sneaking.
Thanks Tal, this, I hope, is all it is.. I started a new game on SSE, and I must say, the visual fidelity suits me better (I don't plan on using mods), although the screen res still bugs me.. it's as if I am now stuck on a windowed mode of 1600x1200, and can't get it to go fullscreen (easier to modify the ini file, as the installer options are.. not helpful.
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

Allow me...
ok for the "no mods" policy, it is your call, but you should consider at the very least the unofficial Skyrim patch, which technically is a mod, but fixes a five-digits figure worth of bugs throughout the whole game (base Skyrim + DLCs), covering quests, scripts, audio, dialogues, subtitles, books, items, object placement, meshes, textures, navmeshes, actors, AI packages, you name it! It strictly adheres to the lore of the game without taking arbitrary licenses.

for old Skyrim -> Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch (aka USLEEP)
for new Skyrim -> Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch (aka USSEP)

fox wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:21 pm
Allow me...
ok for the "no mods" policy, it is your call, but you should consider at the very least the unofficial Skyrim patch, which technically is a mod, but fixes a five-digits figure worth of bugs throughout the whole game (base Skyrim + DLCs), covering quests, scripts, audio, dialogues, subtitles, books, items, object placement, meshes, textures, navmeshes, actors, AI packages, you name it! It strictly adheres to the lore of the game without taking arbitrary licenses.

for old Skyrim -> Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch (aka USLEEP)
for new Skyrim -> Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch (aka USSEP)
I agree with you concerning the necessity of at least adding the Unofficial Skyrim Patch to the game, fox. This version of the Skyrim game was a particularly lazy release by Bethesda with no attempt made to clear up some of the problems of the original release. To be honest, I wouldn't have bothered with the SE version but for the switch to 64 bit and the difference it will make to future mods seen in the game. :angel:

BFett wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:24 pm
How long do you think it will take for the paid mods to come and go? Will it be like last time and only last upwards of a month?
I'm amazed anyone is paying for mods. BFett. I'm a premium member of Nexus and I haven't paid for a single mod, I've made donations to those modders I deem to be worthy of such consideration but that's as far as I would go. :angel:

Victor Tombs wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:30 am
BFett wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:24 pm
How long do you think it will take for the paid mods to come and go? Will it be like last time and only last upwards of a month?
I'm amazed anyone is paying for mods. BFett. I'm a premium member of Nexus and I haven't paid for a single mod, I've made donations to those modders I deem to be worthy of such consideration but that's as far as I would go. :angel:
Do not be amazed.
Just like some are possessed with the gambling addiction, others happily throw their money at the screen as soon as they are given the option. What they buy matters not, it just pleases them to have this control over their money. Interestingly, the lower the sums to spend, the more this behavior tends to surface in individuals who never did it before (it is one of the principles over which micro-transactions thrive).
Unlike gambling addiction, the other behavior is not considered a mental illness, though.

Regrettably I know not the [english] words to explain it any better.

I am amazed.
At 13 hours into vanilla Skyrim SE (it runs better on my rig that the original Skyrim did), and it is blowing my mind.
I have never followed the storyline in Skyrim before :o :shock:
In the past, I was too afraid to use the Shouts element of the game, as I just wanted a wander where I go.. but I found leveled up too quick (as did the difficulty of the game), and I never really understood the upgrading of items etc.. and found myself pwned by a mage, and areas where I couldn't find enemies as my crafting skills were bad. :D

The music is amazing.. fades in between hearing nature, and coming on in moments that uplift the spirit.
I must say, I feel at one with Skyrim for the first time.

... It's a happy diversion after yet another interesting date :|
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

Online Now