Return to “Games”

Re: Skyrim

Bethesda nearly ruined my game with the latest PC update for Skyrim SE but wisely I had created a backup which was only a day old. :D

:shifty: Substitute "fortunately" for "wisely". :oops:

Now I need to indefinitely delay the download of the accursed update or, hopefully, find a mod that destroys the nefarious plans of Bethesda.

Nexus lead the way out of the land of Creation Club subterfuge. :angel:

Victor Tombs wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:30 pm
Bethesda nearly ruined my game with the latest PC update for Skyrim SE but wisely I had created a backup which was only a day old. :D

:shifty: Substitute "fortunately" for "wisely". :oops:

Now I need to indefinitely delay the download of the accursed update or, hopefully, find a mod that destroys the nefarious plans of Bethesda.

Nexus lead the way out of the land of Creation Club subterfuge. :angel:
I do believe you can turn off automatic updates in the properties or similar.

0111narwhalz wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:26 am
I don't doubt it, narwhalz. I was hoping for a better method as I believe there are some fixes for the SE game in that update. Although it's true to say I haven't come across any major problems that needed fixing so far. I'm sure someone in the modding community will provide a suitable mod. That minor mod removing the news from the Creation Club advertising was a godsend. :angel:

Victor Tombs wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:31 am
0111narwhalz wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:26 am
I don't doubt it, narwhalz. I was hoping for a better method as I believe there are some fixes for the SE game in that update. Although it's true to say I haven't come across any major problems that needed fixing so far. I'm sure someone in the modding community will provide a suitable mod. That minor mod removing the news from the Creation Club advertising was a godsend. :angel:
Hello Victor,
this is of no help *now* that the update happened, but you can prevent it from happening again in the future.

• Launch your Steam client;
  • Open the Settings window;
  • On the left list, click Downloads;

And now...

• Where you read Download Restrictions check the box Only auto-update games between: and set a range of hours during which you know you do not play. For example, set from 05:00 to 06:00 (in the morning, ofc) when you are supposedly sleeping and not logged into Steam.
  • Also make sure to un-ckeck the box of Allow downloads during gameplay (hover the mouse on it and the client will give you a description of this item).

There, two easy Steam rules to block the client from shoving auto-updates down your throat :angel: leaving you free to manually update anytime :wave:

-fox

I just wanted to thank you narwhalz and fox for taking the time to offer some useful advice. I much appreciate your efforts. :thumbup: :D

I don't bother much with Steam although I do have numerous games in my library. I believe it was Skyrim that brought it to my attention back in the days when I mistrusted all this online stuff. As you are probably aware by now I'm not much of a digital download fan. :angel:

?

After reading the latest posts, which sound like something bad has happened to Skyrim SE, I went looking for some specific, clear description of the disaster.

Can't find any such thing.

Some people made it sound like the patch -- 1.5.39, is it? -- breaks SKSE64. Is that the only problem? I'm not trying to minimize it if so, although I don't use it myself.

Or are there other issues? Can someone point me to a clear explanation of the changes and their negative consequences?

Flatfingers wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:08 pm
After reading the latest posts, which sound like something bad has happened to Skyrim SE, I went looking for some specific, clear description of the disaster.
If you don't use SKSE64, Flat, it isn't a problem for you. After getting SKSE64 to work in my SE game and living with some UI constraints I turned on my machine a few days ago to have an update for Skyrim SE automatically download which paralyzed my game. It was unexpected, to say the least. It's not a disaster but I am getting the impression that Bethesda is still trying to push their Creation Club on those who have decided they don't want it. :angel:

Victor Tombs wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:27 am
After getting SKSE64 to work in my SE game and living with some UI constraints I turned on my machine a few days ago to have an update for Skyrim SE automatically download which paralyzed my game. It was unexpected, to say the least. It's not a disaster but I am getting the impression that Bethesda is still trying to push their Creation Club on those who have decided they don't want it. :angel:
BOOOO. Bad form, Zenimax/Bethesda.

I already have the "don't show the Creation Club stuff on the start screen" mod installed. Probably just a matter of time before they nerf that, too....

Flatfingers wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:27 pm
Victor Tombs wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:27 am
After getting SKSE64 to work in my SE game and living with some UI constraints I turned on my machine a few days ago to have an update for Skyrim SE automatically download which paralyzed my game. It was unexpected, to say the least. It's not a disaster but I am getting the impression that Bethesda is still trying to push their Creation Club on those who have decided they don't want it. :angel:
BOOOO. Bad form, Zenimax/Bethesda.

I already have the "don't show the Creation Club stuff on the start screen" mod installed. Probably just a matter of time before they nerf that, too....
The issue is that SKSE requires a recompile anytime they "patch" the game, (this is the same for F4SE).
Since they are now pushing Creation Club crap as "patches", any time they add a new turd to that mess, they require the SKSE team to recompile to the new version.

Simply disable patching for the game, Skyrim and Fallout4 are NOT going to get new proper patches any time soon, or ever really.
Bethesda don't do patches after the final DLC after all.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Silverware wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:28 pm
Bethesda don't do patches after the final DLC after all.
Do not say that too loud.

The last thing I want is for Todd to decide to patch Oldrim to smuggle the CC into everyone's game. No -- thanks.
Beth is pushing for Skyrim SE and now Skyrim VR while trying to leave Oldrim behind. Yet Oldrim LE has thousands more players per week on average. It survives, and not unexpectedly, after 7 years of fun-on-a-stick.
Add to it that Beth waves the middle finger at the players every time they issue a new SE patch, because: 1) it breaks SKSE64, 2) and all mods relying on it, 3) and faq-ups people's games that do not load anymore, 4) and it does all this without bringing a single improvement to the game.
Heh -- Beth is stepping carefree on the gray area between what she can rightfully do and what configures as incorrect commercial practice.

And so Oldrim survives, a thorn in the side for them that one day shall be dealt with. Fixing its Steam-price to 60 bucks was not enough to stop people from buying it (because Steam keys).
And so I planned ahead: got myself an Oldrim that needs no Steam ( :shh: ) just in case Todd decides that I too must be at the receiving end of his Creation Club.

Spoiler:      SHOW
My middle finger stands ready!

-fox

fox wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:21 am
Beth is pushing for Skyrim SE and now Skyrim VR while trying to leave Oldrim behind. Yet Oldrim LE has thousands more players per week on average. It survives, and not unexpectedly, after 7 years of fun-on-a-stick.
Yes, I'm seriously thinking of returning to my Oldrim LE game where everything worked for me. I'm beginning to miss the absence of hassle, fox. :angel:

Still 20 bucks. Tip perhaps if you care about it: A normal physical copy can be found a lot cheaper. I got mine for only 12€ in the local store. Legendary, all dlc's without discount. Might be worth a try. !shrug
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.
- - - - - - - -

Online Now