Return to “Games”

Re: Skyrim

I own Skyrim in four different packages, none of which was a bargain. The big box CE version cost a small fortune. If you can get the game for these ridiculously low prices then don't hesitate. That's a lot of solid and absorbing gameplay for a few dollars. Don't hesitate! :thumbup:

johncage wrote:still not worth it.
This isn't typically my type of game either. Certainly, I wouldn't pay full price. I've played for 7hrs so far. Honestly, I've never played an 'exploration' type game before. It's not bad.

I made a cat person. Forgot the race's name. Wandering around the map on the way to Riverwood, I found some random things:
  • A beehive hanging from a rock ledge, harvested a honeycomb. It was between the entrances to the mineshaft. There was another beehive behind a building in Riverwood. I ate one honeycomb, but I was at full health so nothing happened.
  • I found a dead wolf lying in some tall grass, harvested a pelt from it. I found that weird. I mean, it's not that valuable of an item. I bet almost nobody finds that wolf. Why the hell would that even be there? Odd.
  • In the stream going to riverwood, I found out you can fish. Part of the river is deep enough for you to just float down stream. That was fun.
  • West of Riverwood I found a treasure chest hidden in a giant log big enough to walk into. I got a map to the location off some bandits. But I couldn't read the terrible handwriting of whatever ignorant scoundrel made the map. So, I forgot all about it. I found the treasure randomly. That's how I figured out what the map was pointing too. "Oh, that's a picture of a log? Hmm."
I figured out some basic smithing with ingots from the mine. I've harvested all kinds of flowers, mushrooms, and branches. I'll try the Alchemy lab later. So far, I got more entertainment value out of it than a movie.

I can see why this isn't your typical type of game, Compugasm. If you don't like RPGs and/or sandbox games you could be a little lost without a pushing story forcing you to act acordingly to a prescripted plan. So Skyrim isn't your best option.

Skyrim is a game to escape reality. You can do a lot of things, even a lot of nonsense. You can do the main quest and side quests (no mather in what order) now and then, but it isn't mandatory. And is an exploration game. You could spend hours only traveling from A to B, admiring the landscape. And believe me, with the proper mods, Skyrim can get A LOT more beautiful than the original, from small touches to big things, from books to dragons or entire landscapes. And if you have a bad hair day... well, arm yourself and get dirty with the fauna, with the bad guys, with the good guys or with all of them at the same time. You can be whatever you want. There are mods to make Skyrim an immersive survival game, with hunger and illness. There are expanding mods to new lands.

But you need to put a little bit of your time and imagination to enjoy Skyrim, because being only a killing machine isn't all that fun. Follow some quest chains and speak with NPCs. Some mods improve the NPC experience from vanilla, which is IMHO very limiting.

But if after all you get no fun of it, well... then sandbox-RPGs aren't your type of games, as you say ;)
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

the whole aesthetic and immersion factor of the game is just utter horse shite that no amount of modding can salvage.

i'll wait for kingdom come deliverance for my medieval fix.

So I take it you do not use the countless mods that change vanilla from a so so port to just incredibly amazing and how diverse the mods and modding community are take a trip to the Skyrim Nexus just don't do what I do seem to play with mods more than the game,and ENB makes this game utterly stunning to look at as well.

darker70 wrote:

the whole aesthetic and immersion factor of the game is just utter horse shite that no amount of modding can salvage.

i'll wait for kingdom come deliverance for my medieval fix.

So I take it you do not use the countless mods that change vanilla from a so so port to just incredibly amazing and how diverse the mods and modding community are take a trip to the Skyrim Nexus just don't do what I do seem to play with mods more than the game,and ENB makes this game utterly stunning to look at as well.
He rags on any popular game. :|

Dinosawer wrote:It was really tempting but I've said to myself that I would buy it next year, since I've only bought Morrowind and oblivion last year and I'm nowhere near finished with oblivion. And there are some places in Morrowind I haven't seen yet either... ;)
I bought Morrowind in 2002 and I can safely say there are places I've never seen in it either! And I'm totally fine with that :twisted:

darker70 wrote:So I take it you do not use the countless mods that change vanilla from a so so port to just incredibly amazing and how diverse the mods and modding community are take a trip to the Skyrim Nexus just don't do what I do seem to play with mods more than the game,and ENB makes this game utterly stunning to look at as well.
I tend to stick with vanilla, darker. I've played thousands of hours in TES games without feeling the need to use mods. Although I am well aware that some of the mods are awesome. :D
HowSerendipitous wrote:I bought Morrowind in 2002 and I can safely say there are places I've never seen in it either! And I'm totally fine with that :twisted:
Same here! :angel:

Online Now