Return to “Games”

"Limited Theory"

From the desk of Game Reviewers before Beta:

So um, there's this game that is apparently being developed out there called Limited Theory or something like that. It's an indie space game, some amateur developer looking to ride the coattails of Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous; ya know, real games, made with real money. The developer though, he seems to have some talent in him, and can at the very least produce some vaguely decent looking space backgrounds. The kid could probably even get a job with whatever quick little demo he ends up with, some prototype to show at an interview. He is certainly making a lot of promises about fully procedural rich vibrant economy, a living universe, yada yada. We aren't really expecting that much, but you might get some two-bit star shooter with some half decent graphics and a LOT of bugs. It might just hold you over until some of the real games come out, if he ever does release it, he has already pushed it back once, wouldn't be surprised if he does it again and again, making games is hard work and the kid may learn that lessen the hard way.

From the desk of Game Reviewers after Beta:

Best. Game. Ever. Out of nowhere some supergenius said "Let there be a space game!" and there was a space game, and it was good, it was very good. It looks like it is going to be a surprise upset as the new contender delivers a game of equal, or dare we say better quality than those big budget behemoths Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous. A single guy, A SINGLE GUY! created this fantastic entry into the recent glut of space games. He didn't take the easy route either and go with a bunch of badly balanced game rules and glitchy animations. No, he went with a fully procedural engine that can hold its own against the top of the line graphics engines out there, THAT HE MADE FROM SCRATCH! And it's not only a graphics engine, but it produces some of the smartest AI I have ever seen, it has a living economy, a living society, a living world! Folks, it looks like we might just have the space-game equivalent of minecraft, the single player equivalent of EVE, and the customization equivalent of a pencil and paper! Let us not forget, the user interface, I am trying to figure out how to rip it out and put everything on my computer into that thing, it does nothing short of everything hollywood promised us future computers would be like. We may not have flying cars, but we can now check off our list "Awesome visual computer interface" It wouldn't surprise me if this kid popped out the flying car too.

Not only did he do all this, he beat the bigger teams with massively bigger budgets to the punch, releasing months before anyone else. If those lumbering giants don't get their act together, I think we have a pretty solid winner for space game of the year, and a very solid contender for indie game of the year. This kid is going places, and we can't wait to see where he goes, and where he takes us! A survival game in a living environment? A joyride through infinite alternate dimensions? A cure for the bad economy?

:D
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can
Re: "Limited Theory"

:lol: :clap: I like it , Hyperion. :thumbup:

I'm still hoping to see at least one or two sequels to Limit Theory and the half promised "MorrowJosh" before I lay down my PC control device for the last time. Going by the ages I've seen in the birthday announcements/celebrations a good number of you will have many years to sample the delights of the future achievements of Josh Parnell. I can't say I don't envy you a little. :angel:

Victor Tombs wrote::lol: :clap: I like it , Hyperion. :thumbup:

I'm still hoping to see at least one or two sequels to Limit Theory and the half promised "MorrowJosh" before I lay down my PC control device for the last time. Going by the ages I've seen in the birthday announcements/celebrations a good number of you will have many years to sample the delights of the future achievements of Josh Parnell. I can't say I don't envy you a little. :angel:

and we will praise the ancient ones, those who came before us, and have gone a long time ago ;)

MorrowJosh?
It's this something I should know about? ;)
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Cornflakes_91 wrote:and we will praise the ancient ones, those who came before us, and have gone a long time ago ;)
Thank you, Cornflakes. What a nice thing to say. :D
Dinosawer wrote:MorrowJosh?
It's this something I should know about? ;)
A long time ago...

Josh made known his interest in making his own procedural take on his favourite TES game Morrowind. It wasn't a joke, he was being serious about the project. I was beside myself with joy at the time but he hasn't repeated those ideas recently so I can't be sure if he still feels the same way about the project. I am equally as excited about such a venture as I am about Limit Theory. Can you imagine how absorbing such a game would be? :D :D

Breathtaking!!

Victor Tombs wrote:A long time ago...

Josh made known his interest in making his own procedural take on his favourite TES game Morrowind. It wasn't a joke, he was being serious about the project. I was beside myself with joy at the time but he hasn't repeated those ideas recently so I can't be sure if he still feels the same way about the project. I am equally as excited about such a venture as I am about Limit Theory. Can you imagine how absorbing such a game would be? :D :D

Breathtaking!!
As they say on the internet:
"Shut up and take my money!"
:mrgreen:
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Well I am going to suspect that you too will see a fee more projects come to fruition, but you are right, we truly stand on the shoulders of giants.

*Starts petition to make "Grandpa Victor" a character in all of Josh's future projects, an Easter egg if you will*
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Gazz wrote:That would be a while. You may want to take a look at Frontiers in the meantime.
Not procedural but another attempt to "do it right".
:oops: Now I am mortified, Gazz. It's been a bit quiet on the Frontiers...er....front lately.

Yes, Gazz is right. Another project that is worth your attention. I am looking forward to many hours of exploring the gorgeous landscape on the back of my tame lion. When the game is released, If you happen to find a nice little inn called "Magdalena and Hawk" (I'm sure that's what I finally decided to call the place) pop in for a tankard of ale and a bite to eat before continuing you exciting journey. :thumbup: :D

Cornflakes_91 wrote:the ancient/precursors -> victorians :P
We are not amused! :lol:

Actually, I wouldn't mind reading the official Josh Parnell story of the Elders. I am sure the book "Architecture of a Universe" will be packed full of interesting material explaining the wonders of procedural game making but I hope Josh will include "extra details concerning the magical secrets behind Limit Theory technology" in the way of fiction. I wouldn't mind some explanatory backstory about this obviously technologically superior civilization. Blueprints of some of the more important devices which were responsible for the rise to power of the "ancient precursors" would be fascinating. :angel:

Victor Tombs wrote: :oops: Now I am mortified, Gazz. It's been a bit quiet on the Frontiers...er....front lately.
Well, now that all the bits and pieces are ready it's a lot of work to put the world together. Building climate maps, places, NPC, building and assigning conversation trees and a whole lot of quest events and triggers...
Not a lot to show there without posting spoilers. =)
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

Gazz wrote:
Victor Tombs wrote: :oops: Now I am mortified, Gazz. It's been a bit quiet on the Frontiers...er....front lately.
Well, now that all the bits and pieces are ready it's a lot of work to put the world together. Building climate maps, places, NPC, building and assigning conversation trees and a whole lot of quest events and triggers...
Not a lot to show there without posting spoilers. =)
Is there any talk of an update to celebrate the anniversary tomorrow?

Online Now