Return to “Games”

Re: The Forest

Yup, I picked this one up last week although I've not played very much (I have a burgeoning Dark Souls 2 addiction to tend to). My initial thoughts on the game are positive; I think the graphics are great, the NPC AI certainly adds to the tension of the scenario, and I think that the 'crafting' mechanism has been implemented in an elegant fashion.

Obviously, as with any game in Alpha, there are a few bugs etc but all in all I'm very impressed. The broke save function was annoying! I think it's fixed now though.

There's word now that The Forest may be getting its v1.0 release by April 2018.

I need to look in again on it to see how it holds up for freeform single-player exploration. But for people who aren't me :lol: The Forest includes multiplayer features and has been built to be ready for VR rendering of some kind.

The EndNight blog provides patch notes for v0.73 that are a hoot. (Apparently making dynamite behave plausibly in a game takes some effort.)

I might at some point. :D It doesn't seem to be entirely my thing, but I might be wrong. From what I hear the gameplay is very roguelike-like. Death is permanent, you lose everything when you die, and everything wants to kill you. The cannibal theme isn't exactly my sort of thing though. Actually, I don't feel any sort of draw to that at all.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

I feel exactly the same way, with the caveat that I'm more tolerant of random permadeath if the game is designed to be short, with few things to collect or build, and the fun comes from discovering all-new ways to die gruesomely.

That's basically how my version of Super Star Trek works. The typical game takes an hour at most, and you're likely to have been ensnared by a Tholian web or suffer a fatal warp travel incident long before then. But there's no stuff to acquire, and then want to protect -- it's quick to play, and easy to restart.

It's the survival games that tell me to explore, to make "progress," then kill me off, that I think don't really understand what they're doing wrong with their basic design. That's why I could tolerate Don't Starve (which was given to me for free) for only a couple of hours. You push me to go collect stuff, and then punish me for doing what you made me do? Um... no, thank you.

I don't know which of these models The Forest follows.

I actually didn't get very far into Don't Starve either. Surprised me. I'd heard so much good about it and yet couldn't stomach it.

If the game is designed to be short? Sure! Crypt of the Necrodancer and Spelunky were awesome. Don't Starve is designed to last a few hours at least I think, and the act of achieving progress isn't fun in itself.

Nethack is different. There's enough depth that you learn something every playthrough, even if you don't get very far. Losing hurts, but you've always gained something from it. If you die, you know it's completely your own fault and could have been avoided if you'd done something smarter. More importantly, it just feels good, I guess. Don't Starve didn't.

I've been somewhat averse to this kind of game for a while though.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Online Now