Return to “Games”

Post

Re: Avorion

#136
Still puttering about in my little titanium gunboat. :squirrel:
Whilst testing out a triple chaingun that my inventory sorter claimed was my most damaging turret (its fire rate and recoil are certainly excessive), I raked in as loot an exotic trading module.
From what I've heard, a good trade route is one of the most lucrative prizes in the game. So this may have been my luckiest drop yet. :D

I landed an OK trade route without much trouble.. hauling chlorine a few dozen km for a decent profit.


Hmm. My 'home' faction are described as paranoid sadists, but these supposed bad guys, the Gaewtaen, are paradoxically brimming with virtue. :eh:
Meanwhile, the Oexqpun' (great alien name there) are simply described as "Very Dumb". :lol:
Spoiler:      SHOW
Image
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell
Post

Re: Avorion

#137
I've started a challenge run in which I don't allow myself any mining or salvaging, buying resources instead, as well as limiting myself to 'independent targeting' weapons. So far, it seems.. doable.
But my ship is still an ugly little hodgepodge of titanium armour plates.
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell
Post

Re: Avorion

#138
Altough I usually avoid buying into early access space sims on Steam, I can highly recommend this.
It really has been scratching the Freelancer itch I've been having for so many years.

My current ship:
Spoiler:      SHOW
Image
It still has a few bugs and content after a while is lacking, but it makes waiting for LT a bit more comfortable.
Post

Re: Avorion

#139
Alex22 wrote:Altough I usually avoid buying into early access space sims on Steam, I can highly recommend this.
It really has been scratching the Freelancer itch I've been having for so many years.

My current ship:
Spoiler:      SHOW
Image
It still has a few bugs and content after a while is lacking, but it makes waiting for LT a bit more comfortable.
I set it on my wishlist. Will buy it probably. :D
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"
Post

Re: Avorion

#141
It's 150% worth picking up, especially at the price. I have nothing but respect for the dev, he and I obviously think quite alike :D I lost a solid 20 hours to Avorion a few months ago. After several hours in normal mode I spent most of the rest of my time in creative; frankly building stuff is just too much fun. I'm very interested to see this next update, which will add alliances (http://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/ ... 330.0.html).

We should get an LT-forum community Avorion game going sometime :D

Oh, and I wear the T-shirt at least once a week. It's a great-fitting and comfortable shirt...glad I backed :squirrel:

PS ~ This game is super easy to mod and guess what...it just so happens to use Lua as well! So if you learn how to mod Avorion, you'll be learning the same language that you use to mod LT! I modded my version to have slightly more complex & interesting loot tables, ore distributions, etc. so that exploring is more profitable. Also modded it to make stations sell more equipment (which required modding the trade window to support multiple pages on all tabs; surprisingly easy to do, this is a great example of a highly-moddable game!)

PPS ~ Beware the collision damage. Seriously. BEWARE.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford
Post

Re: Avorion

#143
Yeah you definitely have to strap in and learn on the fly a bit.

FYI engaging those pirates is optional. It's a timed event that happens every 15 minutes or so. The system forces will deal with them; it's really just a way for you to get some equipment & materials if you want to. If you're weak it's easy to lose more than you gain from pirate encounters :ghost:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford
Post

Re: Avorion

#145
JoshParnell wrote:Yeah you definitely have to strap in and learn on the fly a bit.

FYI engaging those pirates is optional. It's a timed event that happens every 15 minutes or so. The system forces will deal with them; it's really just a way for you to get some equipment & materials if you want to. If you're weak it's easy to lose more than you gain from pirate encounters :ghost:
I started a ship design in that mode. Simply for the sake of it. I like it so far. This weekend I'll try to start again in normal mode and see how it goes. Thanks for the info on the pirates ;)
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.
Post

Re: Avorion

#147
JoshParnell wrote:It's 150% worth picking up, especially at the price. I have nothing but respect for the dev, he and I obviously think quite alike :D I lost a solid 20 hours to Avorion a few months ago. After several hours in normal mode I spent most of the rest of my time in creative; frankly building stuff is just too much fun. I'm very interested to see this next update, which will add alliances (http://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/ ... 330.0.html).

We should get an LT-forum community Avorion game going sometime :D

Oh, and I wear the T-shirt at least once a week. It's a great-fitting and comfortable shirt...glad I backed :squirrel:

PS ~ This game is super easy to mod and guess what...it just so happens to use Lua as well! So if you learn how to mod Avorion, you'll be learning the same language that you use to mod LT! I modded my version to have slightly more complex & interesting loot tables, ore distributions, etc. so that exploring is more profitable. Also modded it to make stations sell more equipment (which required modding the trade window to support multiple pages on all tabs; surprisingly easy to do, this is a great example of a highly-moddable game!)

PPS ~ Beware the collision damage. Seriously. BEWARE.
Thank you for this insight.

I learned some bits of Lua before cuz of Minecraft stuff and because of Stonehearth which is almost entirely made with Lua, JS, HTML and CSS and C for the very basic stuff. So, they have a lot of experience in that regard.

I think I will now buy this guys BEFORE it appears on the sale. You made me interested! :squirrel:
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"
Post

Re: Avorion

#148
Guys, a quick question... First of all, remember that I'm just playing the demo, so things in the actual version of the game may be different.

So, the thing is that while I was designing a simple ship in the design mode (to test things out, see what's what with the limited options in the demo) I noticed that if I have maxed speed for pitch yaw and roll (2 rad/s, I believe) and I put other blocks covering the thrusters, these values only decrease slightly. And that only because of the higher mass, don't because the thrusters are theoretically... well, not able to thrust anything because there's a block covering them. Is that right or is just an outdated "feature"?

I wanted to see if I can design a ship with good maneuverability but at the same time I don't want to see dozens of thrusters in every direction firing all the time. It distracts me... :problem:
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.
Post

Re: Avorion

#150
Just bought the avorion game and the main menu music with the rotating ship had me imagining how LT main menu would look.. Easily had it running like that for 30 mins before playing.. So much joy :-D

Already found the pirate lua script, thinking of changing it so only one pirate ship spawns with legendary loot and 1hp lol
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

Online Now

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron