Return to “Games”

Re: Factorio

Talvieno wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:48 am
[..] my first thought would've been to build a circular track that would move an item into a box every time you passed a certain point, and then just count the items in the box.
Oh. That could work. It didn't occur to me. :(
Indeed, an indefinite rail loop (ie. a train hamster wheel that will keep it going full pelt until out of gas) has already been developed and posted to the forums, and test comparisons could provide some solid data on the relationship between straight track and curved. :geek:

Yet my extreme ribbon is not without it's unique strengths:
  • ample room for testing stupidly-long trains: my first planned test is 777 locomotives hauling 7,777 fluid wagons. :train:
  • submitting the map has potential to help the devs optimize performance: something very fishy is happening with my framerate while laying track
  • probing the limits of blueprints: gonna see whether or not a BP can handle describing 500 thousand rails in a line
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell

I made my first ever 'smart' outpost! :D
3 deciders (reducing coal readings to a binary is there any coal?), 2 XORs, and an OR that will hopefully do my bidding. I haven't put it to the test yet.
The train stops are supposed to turn off as the relevant miners run dry, with the two lower priority ones turning on upon the demise of their predecessors. :ghost:

Talvieno wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:09 am
[..] wondering if you're going to start making self-expanding factories soon. :ghost:
Uh, don't hold your breath. I'd prefer to do that to the extent that it's possible without the using mods to circumvent blueprint limitations. Complex problem.

But for this factory it will be necessary to come up with a comptroller to keep all of the train traffic flowing smoothly, so there's quite a bit more circuit network monkeying in the pipeline.
It's gonna be all trains, all the time. No conveyor belts, no logistics bots, no boxes, and fluid storage exclusively on wheels.

On top of traffic control, I want to design a player requisitions platform, whereat trains rush in to fill the player's orders in mimicry of logistics bot deliveries.

I've been trying to help a fellow Factorian debug his pulse emitter counter-with-a-reset.
If I'm reading his problem statement correctly, he wants the [X = 10, Output X (input count)] decider combinator to in his application function with [X = A, Output X (input count)], where 'X' is the Each wildcard and 'A' is a variable signal.
'A' would both determine the frequency of the pulse and the value of the pulsed signal.
The core issue (I think) is that the pulse ends up lasting for 3 ticks instead of the desired 1 tick, the result being that the signal value 'A' is multiplied by 3 over the course of the pulse.

Pretty sure now that I totally fabricated that problem statement out of who knows what, whereas his actual statement:
Yggdrasil wrote:I want to reset a counter after it counted to "a".
seems to articulate that the value primarily in question is that of of the signal S leaving the output of the [S + 0, Output S] arithmetic combinator, and he wants it to incrementally progress through the series {0, 1, 2, 3, 4,.., a (a = 10 in our test example)} in a loop, with the delay between all of the count progressions being equal (200 ticks each), including the reset to 0 step.

Any suggestions? :monkey:
Spoiler:      SHOW

Hmm, maybe I misread the 10 being a placeholder for a variable signal, since that would really mess up the thing given that he makes liberal use of the Each wildcard signal.
Which leads to the question: why use Each in this circuit to begin with? :think:
Having reframed the question, I came up with this:
Spoiler:      SHOW
What d'y'all think? :geek:

0.16 HYPE! -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zoaUtSxeHU
Artillery in Factorio, guys. Both as a wagon and a turret. It's here.
  • cliffs
  • buffer chests added to logistics network (huge)
  • robots in the air from personal roboport now count towards logistics requests for that robot type
  • nuclear fuel -> trains are OP
  • train scheduling can be modified with click and drag
  • trees slider!!! (technically dropdown) part of the new tab in map gen
  • optimizations, especially belt performance
  • resource (and biter) distributions got a balance pass
  • tanks can now plow through forests with impunity (no damage taken from tree collisions)
  • concrete and stone path can built right up to water now (transition graphics have been added for this)
  • lots of other cool stuff

They finally "fixed" the pollution "bug", so the first biter nest it comes to doesn't vacuum it up. Everything is much scarier now. :D You can get attacks from more than just the first base in line. Naturally, this has pissed a lot of people off. :lol: I'm all for it, though.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Online Now