Return to “Games”

Re: Minecraft: Feed the Beast + GregTech

I've always been intimidated by modpacks. It always feels so incredibly overwhelming with all there is to it, to the point that I'm almost literally scared to try. I had fun with Buildcraft and IC2, and maybe I just need to ease into it.

How do you guys manage?
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Hahaha, well I'm not insane! Building it in smoothstone would've taken.... A while. And I had more cobble than someone with a lot of cobble.

As for the mods, it may seem daunting but you can play the game like vanilla if you wanted too. But that's for silly people when you can have power armour and a mining laser! I usually see something in NEI (the block guide thingy) and decide to build it. Of course, there's usually some ancillary stuff you need, so I learn that too. Nowadays I make items from sunlight and fly like bird.

This is the one I'm using. It removed Gregtech because of some hullabaloo with him putting code in that would crash the game. What a jerk.

DWMagus wrote:How do you guys manage?
Easing into it.
If you want to get to know the mods in FTB unleashed, i'd start out like this:
- Dartcraft (excellent little overpowered mod)
- Tinker's constructs. (for tools and weapons)
- Forestry bees whenever possible (they take a while to become useful, so it's good to start early with them)
- get to know MFR for some farming resources (works great for mobfarms too)
- IC2 / thermal expansion
- computercraft turtles or buildcraft quarries for resources (chunkloaders help)
- Applied energistics or logistics pipes for ware managment. (you probably want to use the AE hard drives anyway)
- add gregtech and do a map reset when you really want a challenge and have a lot of time on your hands

To learn the different mods I watched a mod spotlight on each large one, then made a base dedicated to each mod. I had a wind powered base with ic2 stuff, lava powered base for thermal expansion, and so on. Though, to be honest, I probably spend as much time watching spotlights and reading the wiki as actually playtime.

It does help to have some people around you that know the game, so you can get some hints when you're stuck.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

I play on a private modded server that runs Mystcraft, Bibliocraft, ExtrabiomesXL, Forestry, Twilight Forest, Iron Chests, and Archimedes' Ships. It has been a bit of a flop thus far because none of the tech mods we wanted to use (mainly Thermal Expansion and RedPower2) were updated for 1.6.2.

It's not FTB exactly, but we picked the mods that we were familiar with to sort of maximize the exploration potential of our modpack. Hell, we even wanted The Aether II, but it was too buggy to work with everything else. At the moment, I'm planning to build a very large mansion on the East side of my town. I'll post some pictures here of the town later, and of the mansion when it's finished.
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ

I have a friend who just runs a server off of his computer and that is the only way I can have fun, not spawning in items and having friends to play with, otherwise I just can't, I think we also use random ones, for a while we did hexxit, and I am pushing for FTB, but it doesn't work on his computer, for it is a mac, and not much server stuff has been happening, really I use the same method as HowSerendipitous, look for stuff, but I more or less just jump in, see what I find :D

also nicely done HowSerendipitous!

~Sly

EDIT::LT FTB Server, :think: no pressure to anyone though, just a thought
IVE BEEN OUT OF MY MIND A LONG TIME

minilyaa wrote:I recently purchased an Xbox 360 and Minecraft, however none of my friends have the game so I can't play online servers. Does anyone know any good players to add or contact if I want to play hunger games or other pvp maps? Or if you yourself may be interested in adding me to play.
Hi and welcome to the forums!

Feel free to check out the online server "laerad.net", there's a very welcoming but small community there playing Minecraft. At this time nobody is online, but that will change in an hour or two.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Katorone wrote:
Victor Tombs wrote:Where have you been Katorone? I have missed seeing your regular posts on the forum. We need your input. :D
Thanks! Well, I started playing some minecraft FTB Unleashed + GregTech. It didn't took long for me to become really addicted to all these new mods and possibilities. I can play a game for months without noticing time is passing, the only thing I need is depth and complexity. Add ways to handle/simplify this complexity and you got me addicted for a long long time. :D
For instance, GregTech alone would probably get too tedious for me after a while, but with Applied Energistics (a mod that lets you create automation with crafting computers and -recipes, and store your minecraft items "digitally") it's very enjoyable to me. I just get a huge feeling of accomplishment when I'm able to push a virtual button, a bunch of machinery start working, and a complex item gets crafted automatically.

Victor Tombs wrote: I am still waiting for the KS to start on this great looking game. Hardenberg has told us of its delay but I am still hopeful we will be seeing this one up for pledging very soon. :)
What I've seen so far looks very promising. I get a "planet explorers-vibe" from it. It does feel a bit shallow still, I'd really love to hear more about what they want to do.
What sever are you playing on?

I want to play there too. :)

The FTB + gregtech server has been shut down for the moment.
We're waiting on the new forge to create a new custom mod server.

There's a few minecraft servers running on laerad.net. On the main port there's the wxmc community who're hosting a bukkit/vanilla-ish freebuild server (not creative). Then there's the whitelisted (and mostly empty) snapshot server. Whenever a new snapshot is released, this server updates automatically so it's always bleeding edge.

A good introduction to our gameserver would be to join the wxmc minecraft server and introduce yourself. Most of the time there are a bunch of very friendly and helpful people online there.

Katorone wrote:The FTB + gregtech server has been shut down for the moment.
Considering 1.7.2 Forge has been out for awhile (12/26), just is waiting on the final mod to give it the 'RB' approval, I'm surprised they haven't exactly updated.

Or are they waiting for the mod authors to update their mods? (because that's what I'm waiting for, just in time for 1.8 to be released :| )
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

DWMagus wrote:
Katorone wrote:The FTB + gregtech server has been shut down for the moment.
Considering 1.7.2 Forge has been out for awhile (12/26), just is waiting on the final mod to give it the 'RB' approval, I'm surprised they haven't exactly updated.

Or are they waiting for the mod authors to update their mods? (because that's what I'm waiting for, just in time for 1.8 to be released :| )
I'm not sure really. Peg (the guy managing the modserver) said something about wanting runecraft and mcmmo support as well. At the moment I'm having fun getting familiar again with vanilla gameplay and hacks... Like the nether portal chunk loader or villager based autofarms. :D
Minecraft

Eery Petrol started a thread about Exploring a shared Limit Theory Seed, but as none of us actually have Limit Theory yet, I was wondering if something similar using Minecraft might be something fun to do while we wait.
Eery Petrol wrote:Hey all :D , I was wondering how you feel about this. Community Playthroughs are big for Adventure Games, where each week everyone tries to get to one specific point in the game and shares their experience.

For a procedural exploration game, I've always enjoyed exploring it together, so this might be fun:
  • A communal playthrough thread would feature a world seed that is shared amongst the players.
  • Each week explorers fan out.
  • Experiences, findings and pictures can be shared in the thread and could be summarised in a communal star chart map.
  • At the end of the week the most interesting directions are put in a poll to decide where to go next.
  • At some point the communal exploration would come to an end, for example a month of exploring or more.
The exploration scheme is built on how I have explored Minecraft in multiplayer: travel to a new location together, set up camp, spread out and explore, repeat. This kind of play through in LT would be an early game experience.

Of course, after a playthrough ends everyone is free to continue with the world as they please, or join in on a new playthrough.

Suggestions and opinions welcome!
Logistically, I suppose we'd need to pick a cool seed, establish rules about game modes and mods (I can imagine mapping mods might be useful for this?), and etc.

At this stage, though, I'm primarily wondering if people would be interested in joining in.

What do you guys think?
- The Snark Knight

"Look upward, and share the wonders I've seen."
Re: Minecraft Community Playthrough

Good idea, but I think something other than Minecraft might do better. I think what makes it work with other games like Dwarf Fortress and (eventually) LT, will be the fact that the there is more than just the player. A single person may not work too well. I think it might end up becoming a "I build stuff here" pass-to-the-left and then another "I build stuff here", add in some "Why did you squander all the resources we just found?" and you'll have a nice and dandy game. :(

Online Now