Return to “Games”

Nowhere

Oh, sweet merciful mother of all that is holy -- how did I not see this sooner?

Nowhere is... how do I even explain this? It's a "single-player open-world" game (?) in which you are born, grow, and die within an abstract colony of other similar creatures. It's a social AI simulator... it's a world... it's

...no. There is no way I can do justice to this. Go to John Walker's original RPS story and watch the embedded video.

I don't like watching videos; I find them inefficiently slow for imparting information.

I am so glad I watched this video. It is the most wonderful, enthusiastic thing I have seen since Limit Theory, and I need to go throw money at it most immediately.

Also watch their more recent follow-up video. Especially if you are Josh, because they say technical things at the end that you may enjoy.

O.
M.
G.

I want them to succeed.
Re: Nowhere

I've picked up their latest build (Alpha 91).

It's pretty sparse at the moment; apparently this build is just to test their large-scale Nowherian creator and the new "tether" movement system. You can't do anything but fly around.

They're talking Winter 2015 for shipping the 1.0 version, so there's some time. But I'm hoping there'll be more meat on these amazing bones reasonably soon.

Well.

While development on Nowhere continues, programmer Leonard Ritter has taken a bit of a detour. He's posted an article on Gamasutra about his new Conspire integrated code editor.

I'm probably going to hell if Josh sees this post and follows the link, because he's going to see some things that are remarkably similar to some things he's talked about:
  • LISP-like structure folding
  • node-based editing
  • logic flow diagramming
  • code generation to an engine
He even manages to work in a reference to Scheme Bricks, the MIT concept that was the precursor to Storybricks with which I was loosely associated.

Spending time working on code-generation tools instead of gameplay content for a highly procedural game, but with the expectation that it will pay off in faster gameplay generation later... does that sound familiar?

Maybe we've discovered Josh's long-lost German cousin. ;)

I found this game today and thought: Hey, this is something for the LT-forum!
Well ... I could have known that this thread already existed. You guys have eyes everywhere. ^^

So at least I push this thread a little bit because they have financial problems.
If you wanted to support LT but couldn't ...I guess, this is your chance. :thumbup:

Judging from what I have seen so far, this is the closest project to LT I know of. Really impressive stuff! :wtf:

The more I read about this game, the less I am interested in reading more about this game.
Is there a goal, an objective, a purpose, a finish line?
Is there some form of lore, anything to explain why things are the way they are, and that gives a meaning to it all?
Why is the player in this world, and why should s/he care at all?
All I see is an acid trip with funny shapes, sometimes colors too, but I have no drive to find out more. Perhaps that is why they are failing -- I bet I am not the only one that got a bunch of unanswered questions, and they are terrible at delivering answers. Will not fund something I do not understand, obviously. They ought to work on their PR and Presentation skills.

MP X10L wrote:I found this game today and thought: Hey, this is something for the LT-forum!
Well ... I could have known that this thread already existed. You guys have eyes everywhere. ^^

So at least I push this thread a little bit because they have financial problems.
If you wanted to support LT but couldn't ...I guess, this is your chance. :thumbup:

Judging from what I have seen so far, this is the closest project to LT I know of. Really impressive stuff! :wtf:
Why do you think this game is at all similar to LT? Using a tether to navigate living rocks sounds more like the zero-g experience from Star Citizen than it does LT (which doesn't have zero-g [Newtonian physics]).

Edit: I have two problems with this game currently. First, the game's idea is incredibly complex and difficult to understand. Since it's so complex I would expect that there would be several dev blogs explaining how the interconnected systems are supposed to function and make sense to the user. The second being that the content on the forums is for the most part at least two years old (I only found 2 threads that were from this year).

Great news!

Nearly four years after I punted some money their way, I got my Nowhere t-shirt in the mail today! :D

I'm still hoping this game sees the light of day in something like the form originally described. If not, well, life goes on... but really, it's such a neat concept.

That does look pretty amazing, and the Nowherians remind me of my own Pareidolic Icons. I'd actually seen some artwork from this, but I didn't know that it was from a game. Very cool and I wish them the best. I'll certainly give it a shot if and when it comes out, but, it seems to be taking the longer-than-expected route LT has gone down as well. So I'll keep an eye out for it, but I'm not going to follow it :geek:
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Online Now