Return to “Games”

Re: Elder Scrolls Online

Matthew Cason wrote:
ThymineC wrote: 22 GB? Wow.
Yeeeep, it's a big 'un! That seems to be a sign of the times, though. I haven't played it, but understand that Titanfall is a whopping 50+ GB download! :o
my brother owns an xbox one, and he says that its only 16gb on the store there. but COD Ghosts, Ryze and the other xbone game are all 40gb+ which is rediculous in my opinion. There is no reason for files to be that big. I mean, compare this, ESO which is 22gb (an entire open world tamriel with decent graphics plus thousands of people on it at once) to COD ghosts with "next gen" graphics a rather short campaign and 16 (i think) people in one battle is 40gb or more?!?! what is this madness? :shock:

Lum wrote:
N810 wrote:
ThymineC wrote:Back in my day, games were only 15 GB at most.
Back in my day games where 1.4 MB at most.
(size of one floppy disk) :ghost:
King's Quest V was my first multi-floppy (original) game ever. 8 disks in total, if I remember correctly...
I still have my DOS version of Darklands. I remember how awed I was, upon first opening it, and wondering what cutting-edge graphics could possibly require 12 disks!

darker70 wrote:Lol,back in my day you get a whole universe into 48k and a penny chew was well,err a penny ;)
Thanks for the nostalgia trip darker. I well remember those days. :D
Matthew Cason wrote: I still have my DOS version of Darklands. I remember how awed I was, upon first opening it, and wondering what cutting-edge graphics could possibly require 12 disks!
As do I Matt. :thumbup: I found the pristine box the other day but, horror of horrors, my disks were missing. :shock: I fear I may have put them in the wrong box so they are going to be a nightmare to find again. :( At the time Microprose were using those cardboard boxes with the black paper covering which was easily marked by any grease you had on your fingers. I started using white nylon gloves to handle them. Ohh, the things we do in the name of collecting. :lol:

Victor Tombs wrote:
As do I Matt. :thumbup: I found the pristine box the other day but, horror of horrors, my disks were missing. :shock: I fear I may have put them in the wrong box so they are going to be a nightmare to find again. :( At the time Microprose were using those cardboard boxes with the black paper covering which was easily marked by any grease you had on your fingers. I started using white nylon gloves to handle them. Ohh, the things we do in the name of collecting. :lol:
Ah, Microprose! I miss them. Seems like all of my favorite games: Master of Orion, Master of Magic, Pirates!, were all made by their brilliant minds. Though, and I say this hand over heart, Darklands is my favorite game of all time. There is no limit to the amount of money I would throw at anyone making a sequel after all these years.

Well, I've created my account for the game and entered my TESO Early Access code. The Elder Scrolls Online Team have greeted me with warm regards and assured me that if I have any questions they will be pleased to help me. Nice! :)

"We'll also contact you at your account's registered email address with information about early game access as we get closer to game release in April 2014." That's also nice to know. :)

So I will keep myself busy with Skyrim and look forward to the first day of early access to the game with some excitement. :D

Cool Vic.

I'm hanging on a bit till after launch got enough stuff to keep me busy for years yet so no rush,also need to try to get a feel for Archeage (The Russian to English patch still makes it a bit Japlish at times though)and I think Wildstar is not my cup of cha so to speak,also want to check out Black Desert and Skyforge but by then pretty much think I will have subbed to ESO at some point along the line.

darker70 wrote:I'm hanging on a bit till after launch got enough stuff to keep me busy for years yet so no rush
Perfectly understandable darker. If I hadn't gone for the boxed Imperial version I would probably have done the same as you. I paid for early access, so I may as well see what all the fuss is about. I am in the same boat as you as far as unplayed games on my hard drive and all the offerings coming down the pipeline. Some of the KS titles are well on their way to a polished release. With all this in mind, I intend giving my gaming rig a good thrashing before I am forced to upgrade for the OTT delights of SC.

Thanks for the info Matt. :thumbup:

MrPerson wrote:Redownloading now (22gb :problem: ) gonna take a day and a half to do it.
I seem to be having similar problems with the download Mr Person. It won't take a day and half for me but it's taking much longer than I thought it would. I am not complaining as I couldn't get it to download at all to begin with. Then the TESO team suggested it might be my antivirus and firewall software that was causing the problem. They were right!

It's getting there now but I won't be sitting around watching and waiting, that's for sure. :lol:

Victor Tombs wrote:
MrPerson wrote:Redownloading now (22gb :problem: ) gonna take a day and a half to do it.
I seem to be having similar problems with the download Mr Person. It won't take a day and half for me but it's taking much longer than I thought it would. I am not complaining as I couldn't get it to download at all to begin with. Then the TESO team suggested it might be my antivirus and firewall software that was causing the problem. They were right!

It's getting there now but I won't be sitting around watching and waiting, that's for sure. :lol:
it actually didn't take that long, it started to speed up later. and when I had 8gb :problem: of updates yesterday it was going at 8mb/s! I don't even know how that was possible as we don't pay for that fast of service!

Once early access starts I may attempt to log in once, for some reason I got all the rewards of the imperial edition for nothing, so I want to see if I still get the free time and early access, but I am not getting my hopes up.

also, I never understood why so many people have problems with games installing due to firewalls or antiviruses. maybe its because I don't have Norton or AVG that blocks EVERYTHING that tries to install. that gets really annoying.

MrPerson wrote:it actually didn't take that long, it started to speed up later. and when I had 8gb :problem: of updates yesterday it was going at 8mb/s! I don't even know how that was possible as we don't pay for that fast of service!
I am experiencing a similar download speed of 7.84mb/s. Hopefully, my download experience will mirror yours. :mrgreen:

Edit: Towards the end of the download the speed had doubled. After being treated to some wonderful art and glorious music I decided to quit. I am really excited about the early access launch now. :D

Online Now