Return to “Games”

Re: Elder Scrolls Online

Matthew Cason wrote:I wouldn't call SWTOR a disaster. It was a disaster under the subscription model, yes, but as free to play it is the eighth most successful MMO on the market today, and that's counting DOTA 2, League of Legends, and other MOBA trash that seems to be raking in the dough. It made $139 million last year in revenues, not counting subscriptions. There are still some 500k subscribers, which brings in at least another $72 million per year. I fully expect ESO to go free-to-play, as well, eventually. But the initial subscription helps games recuperate their development costs. Consider, for instance, if ESO only gets a paltry 100,000 players. At $15 a month, that's $1.5 million a month, $18 million a year not counting retail sales. And that's probably a very conservative estimate. I don't think they'll have any problem staying afloat with initial subscription revenues as SWTOR did, regardless of how many it lost. ZeniMax/Bethesda can use then that income to institute a free-to-play model. Only speaking for myself, but I'm much more tempted to invest heavily into a game if it offers bonuses and content for purchase, particularly XP boosts and cosmetic items. Last year alone I spent well over $1,000 on SWTOR alone, and I'm not even a hardcore player. Haven't stepped foot in it since September/October, I think, but when they put out another good Cartel Pack, better believe I'll throw more money at it to get items that I want for my characters. I'd do the same for ESO.
Not trying to offend, but you must have a LOT of extra cash to throw around if you spend 1k in a game you hardly play

and MOBA "trash?" I am no fanboy but I do enjoy a good game of DOTA 2 occasionally, I used to play league occasionally too. no need to call them trash just because you don't like them, we can be civil here.

Personally I am too cheap to pay 15$ a month for a game unless it is exceptionally good, or I fall in love with it, which the only game that has done that to me is EVE online, and I had to shelf that addiction due to financial reasons. That is why I got GW2 (which many of you dislike though I adore it). I got into 1 stress test some time in june/july last year and I got to do the tutorial area and a bit outside of it. I personally did not care for it as much as I thought I would, though I thought I would still play it if it was BTP. but when they announced it was gonna be PTP I lost any interest I had in it. Then it was not worth that price, and from what I have seen recently it still isn't. This game would have made more sense as a BTP with cosmetic (or at least not in your face unlike SWTOR) microtransactions. Then I would have played it a rather long time probably. also, locking off imperials and letting you change faction destroys the story and is BS. Hope they don't keep making bad decisions like that or this game is gonna go down the toilet, and fast.
Last edited by MrPerson on Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

It was about two o'clock in the morning when I must have shutdown fairly suddenly. Not long after reading your last longish riposte Matt.

I do understand your passionate defense of MMO's but I will never have that same passion I'm afraid. I will never defend the decision made by Zenimax to go ahead with the development of this game and I still believe they were in error. That being said, the result of that decision is a reality and although I have limited interest in playing the online game I fully intend to get what I paid for. The truth is that ESO will inhabit a very tight window of time in my game playing year. I have no intention of devoting the sort of hours to this game that I would to the next installment of the single player games.

BUT, there is no denying that they made a great job of the Limited Physical Imperial Edition and I certainly look forward to my own private unboxing. :D

In truth I was more interested in the box contents than I was in the game itself. ;)

MrPerson wrote:Personally I am to cheap to pay 15$ a month for a game unless it is exceptionally good, or I fall in love with it, which the only game that has done that to me is EVE online, and I had to shelf that addiction do to financial reasons.
You sound like a sensible games player to me MrPerson. :thumbup: :) I have made some very poor decisions regarding game purchases. It helped me to better define the sort of games I like but has been costly on occasions. :oops:

MrPerson wrote:
Not trying to offend, but you must have a LOT of extra cash to throw around if you spend 1k in a game you hardly play

and MOBA "trash?" I am no fanboy but I do enjoy a good game of DOTA 2 occasionally, I used to play league occasionally too. no need to call them trash just because you don't like them, we can be civil here.

Personally I am to cheap to pay 15$ a month for a game unless it is exceptionally good, or I fall in love with it, which the only game that has done that to me is EVE online, and I had to shelf that addiction do to financial reasons. That is why I got GW2 (which many of you dislike though I adore it). I got into 1 stress test some time in june/july last year and I got to do the tutorial area and a bit outside of it. I personally did not care for it as much as I thought I would, though I thought I would still play it if it was BTP. but when they announced it was gonna be PTP I lost any interest I had in it. Then it was not worth that price, and from what I have seen recently it still isn't. This game would have made more sense as a BTP with cosmetic (or at least not in your face unlike SWTOR) microtransactions. Then I would have played it a rather long time probably. also, locking off imperials and letting you change faction destroys the story and is BS. Hope they don't keep making bad decisions like that or this game is gonna go down the toilet, and fast.
I'm not offended in the slightest! It's less a case of having a ton of cash to splash around and more spending it on the things that I enjoy and which matter to me. I don't have the time to be as heavily involved in SWTOR, these days, but I love it best out of the current roster of MMOs in part because of the story but also because I think they do free-to-play best out of anyone. The Cartel Packs they release regularly have items people want. And are willing to pay for to have a chance to get. Me? I tend to buy the packs and then re-sell them on the in-game auction house, using the millions of credits earned to outright buy the items I want instead of leaving it to chance. Clearly, though, it pays the bills for Bioware and EA. I didn't mean to offend, either, by calling MOBA's trash, but they don't appeal to me. I don't get any real enjoyment out of running around and killing stuff. That's one reason I enjoyed GW2, I should mention. Because I could level entirely as a crafter if I wanted.

Victor Tombs wrote:It was about two o'clock in the morning when I must have shutdown fairly suddenly. Not long after reading your last longish riposte Matt.

I do understand your passionate defense of MMO's but I will never have that same passion I'm afraid. I will never defend the decision made by Zenimax to go ahead with the development of this game and I still believe they were in error. That being said, the result of that decision is a reality and although I have limited interest in playing the online game I fully intend to get what I paid for. The truth is that ESO will inhabit a very tight window of time in my game playing year. I have no intention of devoting the sort of hours to this game that I would to the next installment of the single player games.

BUT, there is no denying that they made a great job of the Limited Physical Imperial Edition and I certainly look forward to my own private unboxing. :D

In truth I was more interested in the box contents than I was in the game itself. ;)
I've always considered myself a casual MMO player. I don't spend 10-12 hours a day logged in. I don't do guilds or raids or PvP. I enjoy crafting, the lore of the game, and the simple experience of existing in it a lot more than combat or grinding to the next level. In World of Warcraft, for instance, the only character I have played for the last several years is still no higher than level 10. I take him out and do nothing but fish. Yep. Fish. I find it relaxing to just park it in front of a lake or stream and cast my line. Well. And sell the little fishies on the market for a huge profit. ;)

Matthew Cason wrote:I've always considered myself a casual MMO player. I don't spend 10-12 hours a day logged in. I don't do guilds or raids or PvP. I enjoy crafting, the lore of the game, and the simple experience of existing in it a lot more than combat or grinding to the next level. In World of Warcraft, for instance, the only character I have played for the last several years is still no higher than level 10. I take him out and do nothing but fish. Yep. Fish. I find it relaxing to just park it in front of a lake or stream and cast my line. Well. And sell the little fishies on the market for a huge profit.
If you're that sort of MMO player Matt I would find it easy to see some common ground between us. I usually do quite a bit of that sort of thing. Admiring scenery while Mr Soule gives me goosebumps is a favourite of mine. ;) :)

Victor Tombs wrote:
MrPerson wrote:Personally I am to cheap to pay 15$ a month for a game unless it is exceptionally good, or I fall in love with it, which the only game that has done that to me is EVE online, and I had to shelf that addiction do to financial reasons.
You sound like a sensible games player to me MrPerson. :thumbup: :) I have made some very poor decisions regarding game purchases. It helped me to better define the sort of games I like but has been costly on occasions. :oops:
Thank you :D I always try to make the best choices I can with my money I use on games, I don't buy a game unless I can see myself logging in more than double the amount of money I paid for it in hours (ex 60$ should equal 120 hours) because money is tight around here. so unless I can play that mmo for 30 hours a month than it is not worth it, especially as I am in college, plus IMO that payment is out of date, as many people are in the same situation (or similar to) as mine.

my best purchase was probably skyrim, paying 60$ for it with all DLC about a year after it came out on PC, now I have nearly 360 hours in it. that is the sign of a good game for the money. but it also all depends on personal taste. now that I think about it, my best purchase was probably the orange box. I did play all the half life games and portal, but TF2 has racked up 666 ( :shock: ) hours on my steam page, though I hardly play it anymore.

Lum wrote:I'll have the pleasure of playing Skyrim from April on. I finally have the machine to move the darn thing. Let's see if my hour-account reach yours ;)
hey, good luck and have fun playing it. the other reason why I have so many hours in it is because of all the mods that it has, that adds sooo much replayability to it, or even just getting a mod because it looks cool, logging into the game to see it and then not getting off for hours again. that happens to me a lot.

Lum wrote:I have aquired a pack with the game and the 2 official expansions. Let's see what I get of it. Then... well, is all in the cards :lol: Time to spend in a sandbox before LT is born ;)
depending on the capabilities of your computer you are getting, you should look at some of the graphics mods or consider getting the free official texture pack. The only graphics mod I have is the better shadows one and water one. I also have a mod that adds many more types of monsters to the game. you should take a look at some and make a list to get when you get the game, unless you want the vanilla experience first of course.

(i need to stop derailing this thread :oops: )

Online Now