Return to “Games”

Re: Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Victor Tombs wrote:Thanks, Flat :thumbup: I enjoyed reading those blogs in light of how it eventually turned out for Dan and Warhorse. I can't thank you enough for creating this thread. :D
It's my pleasure, Victor.

I don't personally care for all their choices, especially the choice to pre-gimp what this game could have been by constraining it to consoles and their limited controllers. But there's still so much good stuff here that I believe it can and will be a very good game.

Also, for what it's worth, I read those two Gamasutra blogs when they were first posted. So when Warhorse did their Kickstarter, I had a better idea of what they'd been up against previously, and what it would mean for them to be fully funded. I was glad they made it, and I'm looking forward to the good parts of the game they ship.

Flatfingers wrote: I don't personally care for all their choices, especially the choice to pre-gimp what this game could have been by constraining it to consoles and their limited controllers. But there's still so much good stuff here that I believe it can and will be a very good game.
I rarely feel the need to ask you for a fuller explanation of why you are disappointed with some aspects of a game, Flat, but would it be possible for you to elaborate a little more concerning the aspects of the game that caused you problems? As you know, I value your opinions on these matters. :angel:

Victor Tombs wrote:I rarely feel the need to ask you for a fuller explanation of why you are disappointed with some aspects of a game, Flat, but would it be possible for you to elaborate a little more concerning the aspects of the game that caused you problems? As you know, I value your opinions on these matters. :angel:
I set out most of my concerns in my initial post in this thread.

After seeing their Combat video, that assuaged most of my concerns about combat after their early description of it being somewhat QTE-like.

That leaves the consoles/controller thing as my primary grumble. I think that choice is needlessly hamstringing the potential depth of a game that could benefit from depth. I suspect it's limiting the size of the game world, reducing the number of interacting systems (to produce the emergent dynamic behaviors of a "living world"), and constraining the number of possible player interactions with the world (controller < keyboard).

From what they've showed and said, I still think KC:D is likely (as I said) to be a very good game. So far I don't regret having backed it.

Flatfingers wrote:I set out most of my concerns in my initial post in this thread.
Indeed you did, Flat, but thanks for the reassurance you have supplied in your answer to my query. :angel:

I was concerned that you may have spotted something I had missed which would seriously hamper my ability to enjoy the game. I have been known to be blinded by my natural enthusiasm when appraising the worth of a game on previous occasions. X-Rebirth comes readily to mind, although I have noted the major improvements to the game subsequently.

I'm relieved to say that the issues you still have concerning KC:D do not cause me to reevaluate my initial appraisal. The game will have more than enough depth for me and with the additional content lined up for Acts II and III there will be plenty to keep me occupied. :D

Thanks again, Flat. :thumbup:

Victor Tombs wrote:A very smart move, Etsu. :thumbup: I'm really looking forward to this game. :D
Awesome. Thanks. :D

There is a new video update of the game which includes a new teaser at the end:

"Playing" is not simply a pastime, it is the primordial basis of imagination and creation. - Hideo Kojima

Etsu wrote: There is a new video update of the game which includes a new teaser at the end:

I see... that trailer... :shock:
Hyperion wrote: Looks good, but will wait until release.
I've changed my mind.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Hyperion wrote:
Hyperion wrote:Looks good, but will wait until release.
I've changed my mind.
If by this you mean that you are going to become a happy costumer of Daniel Vavra's new madness, well... Congratulations! And welcome to the club. Hope you enjoy it. :thumbup:

I have faith in this guy. His games have always been something special for me.
"Playing" is not simply a pastime, it is the primordial basis of imagination and creation. - Hideo Kojima

I wonder how quiet these forums will be on October 22 when the first early alpha for KC:D is released.

Between the visual detail, the first-person perspective, and the range of NPC behaviors, they're certainly pushing most of my buttons.

I just hope they've got variable weather (and maybe seasons?) to go with that day/night cycle. That seems like a small thing to most, I know, but it adds a lot to a game for me, and would seem to be a reasonable thing for a game that aspires to historical plausibility. Exposure was no joke, either to the individual or to the prince leading an army.

Flatfingers wrote: I just hope they've got variable weather (and maybe seasons?) to go with that day/night cycle. That seems like a small thing to most, I know, but it adds a lot to a game for me, and would seem to be a reasonable thing for a game that aspires to historical plausibility. Exposure was no joke, either to the individual or to the prince leading an army.
Brace yourself, winter is coming

I know what I'm doing later today. :)

Update: I was mistaken; I know what I'm not doing today. And what I'm not doing is running the KCD Alpha, apparently because it's a 64-bit build that won't run on my otherwise perfectly functional Win 7 32-bit OS. If so, that is information that Warhorse never bothered to mention anywhere.

Suggestions aren't necessary; I'm just posting this in case any other backers here get errors trying to launch it.

I installed the Alpha today. It looks OK and I'm really enjoying it, but I barely can get to 20fps in low quality preset. If I want 30 I have to play with sprites insteed of trees through console commands and look to the ground all the time. :mrgreen:

A lot of invisible walls, which it feels weird because this will be an open world game.

I like the controls but with a 360 controller the left stick -which you use to walk/run- is too sensitive and it's sometimes hard to walk inteed of run (I hate running in games), and you use B to sprint, which makes no sense because you can't use the right stick at the same time. :D

Textures and materials are relatively low quality, not like default CryEngine materials. (I have made better looking terrain details with the default textures long time ago.) Star Citizen looks much much better too. (But Deliverance has much better controls. :thumbup:)

Characters have no voices. Not a problem, but worth mentioning. :shh:

Lots of bugs. The water has strange colors most of the time. People fly around. Characters sit in the air or pass through seats. The animations make the characters pass through themselves sometimes. Etc.

Lot of chickes. (Which is a plus, naturally. :lol:)

It's very nice to have the opportunity to try a technical demo like this. It has a lot of flaws, but it's expected.
Flatfingers wrote:And what I'm not doing is running the KCD Alpha, apparently because it's a 64-bit build that won't run on my otherwise perfectly functional Win 7 32-bit OS. If so, that is information that Warhorse never bothered to mention anywhere.
Sorry to hear that. Anyway, I think it would be very strange if they had offered the demo in 32-bits. And from what I know CryEngine has no build options. You have to work with what CryTek give you, and remove all unnecessary stuff by hand. It's very lame in that regard.

Online Now