Return to “Games”

Kingdom Come: Deliverance

A first-person open-world historical roleplaying action game using the Cryengine... no, wait, let me allow the folks at Rock Paper Shotgun and the developers to give you their description of Kingdom Come: Deliverance:
The hyper-detailed historical RPG heralds from a small army of developers who once steered the creation of Mafia and Arma, among many others. Despite coming from a relatively small team by triple-A standards, the game’s production values are through the roof, and the dev team really wants it all: Skyrim-like exploration, a Mount and Blade-style world, entirely procedural combat, and choice reactivity inspired by The Witcher.
Everything is procedurally generated. There are no pre-made animations. "Combat is calculated entirely with inverse kinematics, so it’s not even animated," boasted [project director Daniel] Vávra. "It’s all procedural. On non-flat surfaces – say, stairs or something – we don’t need to do special animations. If characters are on something or hit something, then everything is calculated."
Don’t expect Mount and Blade’s control scheme here, or even War of the Roses’ for that matter. The way Vávra explained it, it sounds like combat is tailored to controllers (Kingdom Come is also headed to Xbox One and PS4), and without being able to grasp a button-studded hilt myself, it came across as fairly confusing and potentially limited. While Warhorse is striving for obsessive historical accuracy in world design, battles have block-based bullet time and QTE-ish combos. [:(]
"There are three main types of character you can be," said Vávra. "You can be a fighter and assault stuff with brutal power or just threaten people [if you don't want to be violent]. You’ll have a reputation for strength, so people will know to be afraid of you. Or you can be agile and fast, like a thief or stealthy guy who solves things by killing from behind and stealing stuff. Or you can be a kind of bard/intrigue guy who’s trying to solve stuff by talking, lying, and convincing people. We’re trying very hard to make sure every quest is playable in every way. It’s really non-linear and emergent in that way," he added, noting that there’s no pre-selected character classes either. You simply get better at skills the more you use them.
[In terms of its systems,] Warhorse is aiming to hit more of a balance between the likes of Mount and Blade and theme-park-ish worlds like Skyrim. So, for instance, NPCs have schedules and lives, but they aren’t really operating as part of a giant, interwoven ecosystem. Neither, however, are they the mindless dead-eyed mannequins of, say, BioShock Infinite or its on-rails ilk.
There's more. Go read the "mega-impressions" article at RPS linked at the top of this extended quote.

Me, I don't much like the sound of combat (QTEs), or that the game is presumably squeezed down from what it could be on a PC to run on consoles, or that the world in between cities is shrunk, or that dialog options are time-limited, or that large-scale interacting systems aren't simulated.

But everything else? Wow.

Definitely watching.

Oh, and there's a Kickstarter for it.
Re: Kingdom Come: Deliverance

I want to pledge... But I'm a bit sad that kickstarter isn't going through amazon anymore, or allowing me to pay through paypal.
I can understand their choice though, specially if that means more money hands up in the dev's hands.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Don’t expect Mount and Blade’s control scheme here, or even War of the Roses’ for that matter. The way Vávra explained it, it sounds like combat is tailored to controllers (Kingdom Come is also headed to Xbox One and PS4), and without being able to grasp a button-studded hilt myself, it came across as fairly confusing and potentially limited. While Warhorse is striving for obsessive historical accuracy in world design, battles have block-based bullet time and QTE-ish combos. [:(]
They pretty much lost me here. This, together with the iffy animation approach (inverse kinematics, no predefined moves), pretty much kills any interest I had in the game dead. I'll have a look at it once it's done, IF it actually gets done and doesn't die horribly along the way like so many other KS game projects.
Hardenberg was my name
And Terra was my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination

The mechanical interactions (combat, dialog) definitely have more of a whiff of nanny-developer, "we know what's best for you" action-oriented control to them than I care for. That's one of the things I wanted to be sure to share.

There's a lot of other good stuff in there, though. A historical RPG -- no magic, monsters, spaceships, etc. -- neatly fills a gap. But this kind of game will live or die on its mechanics. So while I'm interested, I'll be watching carefully to see whether the developers are determined to make an action game with light roleplaying, or an RPG that includes combat.

Flatfingers wrote: Me, I don't much like the sound of combat (QTEs), or that the game is presumably squeezed down from what it could be on a PC to run on consoles, or that the world in between cities is shrunk, or that dialog options are time-limited, or that large-scale interacting systems aren't simulated.

But everything else? Wow.

Definitely watching.

Oh, and there's a Kickstarter for it.
I put it on my watch list, there are no limited tiers to make me jump right away and I'd like to see more before I actually back. I'm skeptical about the QTEs as well but I'm hoping they're just little accent things like in XCOM. I'm not sure what you mean by "squeezed down from what it could be on a PC to run on consoles" unless you are just referring to the control scheme (to be able to work with a controller). As far as graphics and other technical issues the game appears to only support PS4 and XBone which have better hardware specs then the average gaming PC according to Steams hardware stats so they don't need to cut anything there. While you can absolutely throw a ton of money at a gaming rig and build one that's better then the "next-gen" (are they "current-gen" yet?) consoles the average gamer hasn't done that recently and game developers don't target there games, even on PC, at those who do (even gamers are keeping their PCs longer and longer now). If they add Xbox 360 or PS3 support though then there will be a seriously drop in potential capabilities.

On the inverse kinematics for combat I think that's the way things are eventually going to evolve so I'm hopeful that they can pull it off but I haven't seen it done well yet. Sui Generis has similar promise with it's "physics based combat" and I backed that one. Anyway as you said, definitely worth watching.

Just been checking this out very very impressive and an even more impressive pitch,I think this will really bring in the bucks this could turn into a SC medieval FPS sandbox crowd funded equivalent as they seem to be following that model,also the update blog is brutally honest no bull shit i'm liking this already. 8-)

Another great game I've had to choose to pass by.. couple of reasons, one being that we've now got a 3 month old son, a half million dollar mortgage, new car repayments and everything else that goes with that young family scenario.... but also the estimated release date.. December 2015.. I've got soooooo many games on the back burner waiting for release.. I just can't handle the anticipationary (yes, it's a word.. because I just used it!) stress it all causes....

Sorry to cause you more stress, light487, but.... ;)

The developers working on Kingdom Come: Deliverance said something verrrrry interesting in their latest Kickstarter update:
The world ... comes alive with activities of NPCs that go about their daily routines as believably and intelligently as we can make them. Other characters react to your actions and even to actions of other characters – creating a truly emergent world.
They've also released a trailer showing and discussing aspects of their NPC AI.

Want. Want. Want. Not the game (well, OK, a little bit the game) but these world and NPC systems as a licensable engine.

I lust for this (when finished) as an engine because it looks like it's going to provide at least two or three of the core technologies for my dream game design concept.

I mean, I don't really want to say, "Josh, hurry up and finish Limit Theory so you can show this room full of developers how it's done!" but.... :D

Online Now