Return to “Games”

Re: No Man's Sky

Flatfingers wrote: Hey, don't forget about the awesome AI -- for much more than just pathfinding and "aggro management" -- that Storybricks is providing SOE. ;)
I tried to find out more about the EQ Next AI and found this article on Story Bricks and Voxel Farm. Interesting read, and the enclosed video (also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-JHQP4q5M8 on the same account) helped to lift the mystery a little of how they're approaching the emergent AI. Any other technical background infos I could read?

The Developers say they came from a console background, this not necessarily means they WILL only develop for Consoles, Because they are independent, their biggest market is the PC Industry; they would be foolish not to publish their game there first.

And Reading the rock paper shotgun mega article on the game,

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/12 ... -mans-sky/

Also states that it won't be multiplayer in the sense of seeing another player in the players universe but rather a much more extended version of how spore worked:

-The players spawn on the outer ring of the galaxy
-The natural goal the developers want to portray is to reach the center of the galaxy
-When a player Discovers a new procedural world, the player can share this information Via a connection and the other X amount of players will be able to see this on their map, and it will say e.g. "discovered by lenny"
-The universe is the same for all players
-You can feel the past presence of players because maby you or other players have done something significant, like make an entire species of animals go extinct, or depending on the extent of game play, see the remnants of a planet destroyed by what seems to be a super massive weapon.
-as you travel to the core of the galaxy it gets harder and harder to achieve this goal, as planets you seek for resources get more and more inhospitable, which means there has to be some sort of way to augment the players capabilities via assets of the player or upgrades or a combination of both.

lithander wrote:I tried to find out more about the EQ Next AI and found this article on Story Bricks and Voxel Farm. Interesting read, and the enclosed video (also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-JHQP4q5M8 on the same account) helped to lift the mystery a little of how they're approaching the emergent AI. Any other technical background infos I could read?
Even if I knew much about the specific things that Storybricks is doing for SOE, I couldn't say much. ;) (I was the Community Manager for Storybricks when we were testing the Kickstarter for our own game using the Storybricks technology.)

I can point you to a post on my personal game design blog that I wrote after seeing Storybricks in action: Storybricks: The Rehumanization of Roleplaying Games. Many of the high-level concepts that I describe there are things that still feel like they're worth doing to bounce computer-based roleplaying games out of the boring, mechanical rut they've been in for years now.

I'll be interested to hear what you think if you feel like reading that.

lenny wrote:You can feel the past presence of players because maby you or other players have done something significant, like make an entire species of animals go extinct
I wonder how they will manage this feature. There's going to be a category of player who plays NMS simply for the perverse pleasure of ruining as many worlds as possible, strip mining planets into barren rocks and eradicating rare species. There's a statistically significant number of online gamers who play with the direct intention of spoiling other's fun.
Experiencing a significant gravitas shortfall

JoshParnell wrote:
Groufac wrote:Bad news for the developers and the game
http://kotaku.com/studio-of-indie-sensa ... 1489404274

The studio has been completely flooded... :(
Wow, that's so awful :cry:

Wonder what on earth caused it?? :shock:
Well there was a serious storm on western European coasts these days (I'm in France so I've seen it) , England has been touched as well and the whole Hello Games studio town flooded.
:(

It seems no one is harmed among the devs team. But I hope for them that they made copies of their work located somewhere else ...

Anyway South England is flooded right now, the region is seriously affected by the storm :(

Being from Louisiana I can relate. Sorry to see that happen and hope everyone in the flood zone is OK. Bad news for Hello Games, no flood insurance.
https://twitter.com/hellogames/status/4 ... 1853737984
Here, if you live in a flood zone you are required to buy flood insurance. Damn insurance companies will do everything they can not to pay when you do flood. :evil:
"Exploration and discovery is not an option we choose—it is a desire written in the human heart. We are that part of creation which seeks to understand all creation."
My KSP Videos

Yeah had some bad Xmas floods the South West has been hit bad poor buggers had and some have no electricity still over the festive period,and more storms on the way as new year hits this weather gets crazier by the year,and from their Twitter account they have had it bad. :cry:

The only positive is if the studio want to raise funds a KS or Indiegogo PC campaign would literally rake in millions as the game looks amazing anyway they would also get the sympathy vote I would back them in a heartbeat myself,just sent a tweet and it's not only me who thinks the same regarding a Kickstarter.

Online Now