Return to “Games”

Re: No Man's Sky

Well, I did whoosh my detailed model ship to a new display case a few days ago but I've yet to revisit the game. I did manage to clock up a few hours play when the game was first released but it might be a good time to claim that pre-order ship which still awaits my limited piloting skills. :angel:

I've played several hours of this update now. Here are a few unorganized impressions:
  • Free look in cockpit still isn't available to mouse & keyboard PC players. :thumbdown:
  • My machine is severely strained when running this, despite the low settings textures and LOD models being hideous and 18 fps being my average. Running with 2GB less than the minimum RAM reqs.
  • Low flight/hover makes precision landings and POI-scouting flyovers much much easier. :thumbup:
  • But flying under arches and things is still out, and the old clunky hand-holdy-ness is still conspicuously there.
  • Took me a few minutes to figure out the revamped Star Map, but I love it. Further solidifies this feature as my favourite part of the game.
  • I've done a tiny bit of dogfighting. Couldn't discern any improvements.
  • Not far into the story; nothing really to report yet. Still feels like a giant quest to get more inventory space.
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell

Baile nam Fonn wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:57 am
I've played several hours of this update now. Here are a few unorganized impressions:
  • But flying under arches and things is still out, and the old clunky hand-holdy-ness is still conspicuously there.
Hi,
what do you mean with hand-holdy-ness -- would you elaborate, please?
I do not have the game, but I am interested in its development progress. Might buy it one day.

Thank you.

It's essentially "You are not allowed to crash your ship, ever, and we'll stop you from doing it if we have to". Things like landing for you, or slowing your ship down automatically if you're too close to the ground, or even stopping it entirely and putting it into a hover, or gaining altitude by itself if you're heading towards a mountain. That sort of thing.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:10 am
It's essentially "You are not allowed to crash your ship, ever, and we'll stop you from doing it if we have to". Things like landing for you, or slowing your ship down automatically if you're too close to the ground, or even stopping it entirely and putting it into a hover, or gaining altitude by itself if you're heading towards a mountain. That sort of thing.

I wonder how much of this is due to the developers coming from console development, or to beliefs they hold about console gamers.

I just started fooling around with exocraft yesterday.
Overall I'm really impressed with this less new addition to the game, and it serves for me as a welcome release from the bonds of first-person perspective.
The handling, animation & effects, and vehicle physics felt surprisingly excellent to me, since Astroneer's hapless rovers were my frame of reference.
The boost, jump, upgrades and mining/combat turrets all work together to make an intuitive, satisfying whole.
(In fact, a third-person flight mode for the ship with similar control scheme would more than make up for the infuriating omission of m&k cockpit freelook.)
And the ejection seat bug is one of those delightful darlings that I hope they let live. :squirrel:

Baile nam Fonn wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:28 am
I just started fooling around with exocraft yesterday.
Overall I'm really impressed with this less new addition to the game, and it serves for me as a welcome release from the bonds of first-person perspective.
The handling, animation & effects, and vehicle physics felt surprisingly excellent to me, since Astroneer's hapless rovers were my frame of reference.
The boost, jump, upgrades and mining/combat turrets all work together to make an intuitive, satisfying whole.
(In fact, a third-person flight mode for the ship with similar control scheme would more than make up for the infuriating omission of m&k cockpit freelook.)
And the ejection seat bug is one of those delightful darlings that I hope they let live. :squirrel:
I'm pretty commited to simracing nowadays, but this here is the only thing I'm looking forward to when I revisit NMS in the future. Thank you for the review, Baile ;)
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

Had some wicked fun today baiting sentinels on a hostile (and super-toxic) planet. Run back and hop in my ship, take off, hard 180, line'em up and vaporize the fools with my phase beam. :twisted:
My farm produced about 16 million spacebucks-worth of liquid explosives today, so I reckon a freighter will be attainable in the near future. :mrgreen:
..after another full day of low framerate and garbage textures NMS binging..

A 'budget' freighter would set me back 90 million spacebucks. Huuuurrgh, thatsalot!
But. I've got 40 liquid explosive ready to go to market, and today's task will be hopping around looking for an offer I can't refuse ..I have a full fifty warp cells in storage, so I think I can afford to shop around. :squirrel:

Paying out for the dynamic resonators to take the Roamer exocraft along for exploration is not painful at all. I love this vehicle.
I found out yesterday that it can handle aquatic situations as well, which made kelp sac collection a breeze.
It's not fast underwater, but it's still pretty fun, because, again, the physics are plausible (if you're expecting arcade racing --which should be a given, no?) and not glitchy.

Oh, wow! patch 1.35 is so good! At least the notes are. Haven't tested it quite yet.
Highlights:
  • Ship handling is procedurally unique from ship to ship, weighted by ship type and class (quality rating)
  • Crafting multiple items at once; crafting more of an item on top of an existing stack
  • Quick toggle in trade menu between buy and sell
  • Improved speed and smoothness of user interface page transition
  • Improved transfer between inventories (hopefully by a significant margin, since that bit of UI has been an especial pain in the rear)
  • Improved galactic map saturation, colours and effects
  • Fixed an issue where visited buildings would not correctly update their icon

Yep, it's good. My ship got buffed. :P
Having powered through considerably more story, I'm happy with it. Some good moments in there.
Not sure what's left, since this last bit acted like a climax but didn't roll any credits.
My Gek vocabulary is getting pretty extensive (470-something words), so I can even make out some of the nanite merchants' spiel now. :squirrel:

Online Now