Return to “Games”

No Man's Sky

Check this

Is this awesome? or is it awesome?

We have another upcoming, fully procedurally generated space sim. That one has an indie dev team of 4 people.

Two things that i thought were coolest in that video were:

1) Cockpits
2) Destructible Models (When he shot his way through an asteroid, similar to space engineers)
Last edited by Rabcor on Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is where the cat is from and yes you should definitely watch that.
Re: No Man's Sky

Rabcor wrote:Check this

Is this awesome? or is it awesome?

We have another upcoming, fully procedurally generated space sim. That one has an indie dev team of 4 people.

Two things that i thought were coolest in that video were:

1) Cockpits
2) Destructible Models (When he shot his way through an asteroid, similar to space engineers)
WOW! I liked the video. Yes, cockpits! If it plays as good as it looks I will be adding it to my list Rabcor. Thanks for letting us know. :D

Was that a sandworm from Dune we saw?

Procedurally generated worlds with ecosystems sounds great to me.

On the other hand, it's apparently being built so it runs on consoles. And it's multiplayer.

A lot of folks want or are OK with those things; they just don't do anything for me. Certainly worth watching, though, if only to give other developers ideas for a single-player PC game. :)

Looks like competition for LT seeing as it has the same PCG highlight.

@Flatfingers:
Console support isn't so bad (Steam Machines bro), having console support is fine (unless you're talking about something that's supposed to look good, like star citizen or crysis) but the mistake here is designing the games with consoles in mind rather than PCs (Why Oblivion and Skyrim were in some areas dull compared to Morrowind, mostly UI)

So console support is fine, and seeing as LT will support controllers, i don't see why not to include console support for LT too (unless it's a lot of extra dev time, or takes away something from the PC experience).

Multiplayer on the other hand... a bigger problem, especially if it's a key feature, MMOs may be ok, but if the game is based around multiplayer rather than single-player but still offers single-player gameply it always makes me feel ripped off, this game however seems to be an mmo.

@JoshParnell:
I have higher hopes for LT than for that game, so far all i know about that game is that it looks good. (So you're in the clear Josh 8-) ) I've seen the technical feats LT is capable of and i know there are more to come, the game is already impressive (i mean that graphical editor is the most glorious "console" i have ever seen in-game for a video game, screw text-based consoles!)

And like i said on youtube, the node-based UI showcased in the last dev log is so good, that i want that as a Desktop UI, i want to use that to make my experiences with my desktop more enjoyable and faster. It's... revolutionary... :shock: imagine browsing through your hard drive folders in a file manager that looked like that, and danced around so beautifully too... Imagine using an interface like that instead of desktop icons... But i digress ^_^ in the space sim area, the best upcoming one from a single-player gameplay perspective still seems to be going to be LT.

Edit: @Vartul: That's the same (& Only) trailer i posted ^_^ but it seems to have been made private, so i changed my link to a functional one. If it's as procedurally generated as they say in the trailer, then i think it's amazing... But i'm not so sure it can nor will compete with the likes of Elite Dangerous.
This is where the cat is from and yes you should definitely watch that.

@Josh- What is with all the talented people, they get insecure so quickly. :monkey: Dude, Your game's awesome. Be it the graphics, AI or the absolutely stunning nodal interface, this game cannot compete with LT. That said, I do believe that we can have many more space games without filling up the genre. God knows its been years since a good game.

Vartul wrote:What is with all the talented people, they get insecure so quickly. :monkey:
When someone works on a project like this for years, he doesn't believe that he can't do it. =P

Josh may be fishing for compliments (woops) and in that he's no different to any other developer (or modder) who believes that what he releases is just amazing. =)
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

JoshParnell wrote:(is it me or is it getting crowded in here :shock: :shifty: )
From what I can gather, gameplay will be MMO-esque. Visually NMS is glorious but LT has its own interesting visual style and LT is doing something unique and worthwhile with its offline focus.
Experiencing a significant gravitas shortfall

I was reading an article about it here. It says:

"I look forward to hearing more about No Man’s Sky. It looks to have the potential to unseat Elite Dangerous, Star Citizen, and Limit Theory from their places in the eagerly anticipated space simulation throne room."

It's awesome that Limit Theory is being referenced alongside those giants.

Online Now