Return to “Games”

Re: No Man's Sky

Haron wrote:Interesting article about reverse engineering of the NMS procedural content: http://3dgamedevblog.com/wordpress/?p=836
Thanks for the link. A welcome diversion from all the usual "OMG THE GAEM RAEPED MY DOG!!!!"-style shitposting so prevalent to NMS.

It seems a fatal mixture between Sony's good-for-nothing QA team, time constraints and pressure from the public (i.e. death threats as reaction to delays), not to mention the runaway hype train and the shitty excuse for journalism that passes as gaming websites these days killed what was (is?) actually a pretty solid foundation. The prevalent hate culture (aka psychotic manchildren) that permeates the gaming scene didn't help here, either.

The engine is far more capable than the finished product lets on. There are rumours that the QA stage dumbed down the game beyond recognition, along with performance issues due to the console hardware it had to run on. Quite frankly, I don't give a shit why it happened, I merely mourn the fact that a perfectly good engine is very likely to go to waste here.

*sigh*

-Hardenberg
Hardenberg was my name
And Terra was my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination
No Man's Sky - Foundation Update

Hello Games has a new posting on their blog:
Hello,
This week Hello Games will be releasing an update to No Man’s Sky. We’re calling it The Foundation Update, because we have added the foundations of base building, and also because this is putting in place a foundation for things to come.
Detailed patch notes will follow, and release will be soon.
Coming from five years of intense development, immediately after No Man’s Sky released the team spent six weeks updating the game with 7 patches across both platforms (the last of these was 1.09 on Sept 24th which you can read about here http://www.no-mans-sky.com/log/). These fixed many of the most common or critical bugs and issues post-release.
In the nine weeks since then our small team has been hard at work on development, testing and certification for the Foundation Update. It won’t be our biggest update, but it is the start of something.
The discussion around No Man’s Sky since release has been intense and dramatic. We have been quiet, but we are listening and focusing on improving the game that our team loves and feels so passionately about.
Positive or negative feedback, you have been heard and that will truly help to make this a better game for everyone.
This update will be the first small step in a longer journey. We hope you can join us.
Thank you,
Hello Games
I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them.

Wel... there's that, at least.

What I don't understand is this: what's the goal of a base building system if you must move on all the time? I mean, is a nice feature tu have for those of us whe spend a lot of time on the same planet, not a couple of minutes. But even then, you must move on further and further on the planet, because you need to explore and discover things. Coming back to the same place (your base) over and over gets old pretty quick. Even if we take our ship as "base", at one point I won't think about it anymore and powerjump further to seek new alien sites and the such. When I find a bigger outpost with a ship-caller device I activate it and bring my ship back to me.

The part about "foundation of things to come" and that they'll be patching the game in the future (and not with small patches) it's good to read, though.
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

Thanks for all the links gentlemen. :thumbup:

After spending many hours engrossed in the graphically highly polished offerings from CIG I find the world of NMS to be somewhat amateurish and visually much less satisfying. This emphasis on survival in the, what seemed to be a hastily cobbled together, game was a disappointment to say the least and the fact that everything seems very similar whichever planet you hop to doesn't fill me with unbridled joy.

Frankly, I can't see myself spending much more of my precious time in the surreal world of Hello Games. I've seen the sandworms I want in a video from CIG showcasing their take on procedural planets for Star Citizen. It was only a demo but it promises so much more than Sean and Co. are capable of delivering. I like to live in my game worlds which is why I gravitate towards games such as Skyrim and hopefully if they pull it off, Star Citizen. I don't feel that sort of affinity with NMS. :angel:

Victor Tombs wrote:Thanks for all the links gentlemen. :thumbup:

After spending many hours engrossed in the graphically highly polished offerings from CIG I find the world of NMS to be somewhat amateurish and visually much less satisfying. This emphasis on survival in the, what seemed to be a hastily cobbled together, game was a disappointment to say the least and the fact that everything seems very similar whichever planet you hop to doesn't fill me with unbridled joy.

Frankly, I can't see myself spending much more of my precious time in the surreal world of Hello Games. I've seen the sandworms I want in a video from CIG showcasing their take on procedural planets for Star Citizen. It was only a demo but it promises so much more than Sean and Co. are capable of delivering. I like to live in my game worlds which is why I gravitate towards games such as Skyrim and hopefully if they pull it off, Star Citizen. I don't feel that sort of affinity with NMS. :angel:
SC is years away though.
I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them.

Online Now