Return to “Games”

Re: No Man's Sky

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Talvieno wrote: - Sentinels do not attack you in the game unless you start mining. (Mining is necessary to do anything at all in the game, so it's impossible to play without getting attacked.)
you can mine without being attacked, though.

when you destroy something sentinel drones come to investigate and when you do something stupid while they watch /then/ you get attacked.

at least for mining its pretty avoidable
Actually, Sentinel aggression is pretty variable from planet to planet. The ones with rare resources like Gravitino Balls or Vortex Cubes tend to have more aggressive sentinels, though, and I've come across some places where they actually shot you on sight. Then again, I've also had places where they just floated by lethargically without bothering you, no matter how much you stripmined the place.

If you manage to get the agression level to 4 and then destroy the large walker, no further sentinels will spawn, allowing you to do your stuff in peace (until you hit orbit, that is, since that level will spawn sentinel interceptors once you leave).

-Hardenberg
Hardenberg was my name
And Terra was my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination

This is a minor quibble, but I started out by testing a playstyle that completely avoids mining.
It was terribly slow, but otherwise not difficult to survive and progress with a combination of flower picking, crate looting and trade.
Last edited by Baile nam Fonn on Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell

By the comments pre-release I thought that sentinel stalking would be a problem (that "you can do whatever you want but we will punish you for it"-mantra). But it is really easy so far. You're constantly being watched but you can mine with ease. Just go a couple dozen "u"s away befor you continue if they're scanning you. Easy.

Attacking a door, for instance, prompt immediately retaliation, but is doable with a boltcaster. I don't plan to be a warmonger, so bigger issues aren't in the cards for me.

Currently I'm on a strange planet. There's a lot of water, the whole planet is some sort of archipielago with little flora (no grass, no plants besides on or two sparsely distributed), but a lot of fauna (over 12 species). And they're equally distributed between land and water. It is strange to walk, run or hover over the islands with no grass at all after all those lushy planets :lol:

My word-counter has reached 120 and most encounters with Vy'keen-folks are now 50/50 understandable, which is pretty cool.
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

Lum wrote:By the comments pre-release I thought that sentinel stalking would be a problem (that "you can do whatever you want but we will punish you for it"-mantra). But it is really easy so far. You're constantly being watched but you can mine with ease. Just go a couple dozen "u"s away befor you continue if they're scanning you. Easy.
I just blast the nosey sods. It can get quite hairy. :lol:

That surprise me, Victor. I always pictured you as a pacifist, that your "small" crew in Skyrim was only for showing. And yet I discover that your trigger-finger is as happy as a marine's. Well, well, well... :twisted: :shh:

I concur that the stalky things are quite annoying sometimes, I give you that. My kill-counter is just over 20, all of them because I stormed in this or that facility to get some blueprints. I must get some grenades to blast those doors more quickly. Maybe so they won't come to kill me... :ghost:

I've just completed my research of my current planet (100% faune discovered and 6 full pages of minerals and flora researched!) and my word-counter is well over 150 now: I'm a a Collector and a Babelfish!! :D

Lum wrote:That surprise me, Victor. I always pictured you as a pacifist, that your "small" crew in Skyrim was only for showing. And yet I discover that your trigger-finger is as happy as a marine's. Well, well, well... :twisted: :shh:
I strive for balance in real life, Lum, in games I can be quite vicious. My Skyrim crew are not there for show... although they are easy on the eye. ;) :angel:

Charley_Deallus wrote:
Lum wrote:Ha! Take that you brainless dinochicken! :lol:
Turns out Dodo birds didn't go extinct. They just went to another planet and turned into GIANT RADIOACTIVE MONSTER DODOS!
...and there, after a short while, became extinct due to general stupidity and large holes in the ground.

Edit: instinct for extinction :ghost:
Last edited by plillevold on Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
old-fashioned :ghost:

I'm almost done with the star system I'm currently exploring. I'm on the last (sixth) planet. So far so good, after two difficult ones with freezing temperatures or high radiation levels. On those you could do little exploration, since survival was such a high demanding task. But they were fun to explore in a way, so that's good. My current planet is cold at times, but with two warm layers is no big deal. I can explore a lot before I must replenish my suit's warmers :)

But the best part about my current planet is that I found a sweet spot to get a lot of money in no time. The last half an hour I made 1,5M! I've found a market terminal in the middle of nowhere. That's no news, of course. The news is that, around it ara a lot of caves full of... Vortex Cubes!! I didn't know that those things could be found freely in a planet, but well, I won't complain about it :twisted:

Oh, and my next cactus landing. That's my new ship (salvaged), I'll try to take a better shot of it later. She's sort of military.

Online Now