Return to “Games”

Re: No Man's Sky

squshy7 wrote:Just want to say...

snip

It's a lot of fun, it's unfortunate there's weird hardware incompatibilities, but those will be sorted out...but those who do get to play it are in for a treat. Contrary to popular belief the game is actually running just fine on most systems. It's just an usually large minority that are having issues.

snip

:lol: Are you serious? Running just fine on most systems, it's just an unusually large minority that are having issues? Did you even read that? Seriously?

LMAO. Dog crap actually tastes just fine to most people, it's just an unusually large minority that thinks it doesn't. Wow, talk about spin.

Oh, and by the way, Alpan is basically right. NMS was released as a fully COMPLETE game with a fully complete AAA price. Your supposed rebuttal to the $60 price point is ridiculous.

I will sell you a $20,000 car, you give me the 20k today, and I give you a partially complete car. It has an engine, a frame and many parts that function, however it's missing tires, some electrical wiring and a few other things, but you of course are okay with coughing up your hard earned cash for an incomplete car because, you know, you're sure I will eventually, sometime, hopefully give you the rest of the parts....for free. Might be a ways down the road though. That's okay, you can get some of your friends to help you push the car until I decide to remit the missing pieces.

I also, might change my mind down the road, given the right circumstances, and CHARGE you for parts, and I am the one who gets to decide what those circumstance might be.

So go ahead and send me the $20k.
Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.

Yeah ..well... hating is easy...making good video games is hard.

If I had a dime for every 'Monday morning quarterback' or couch potato(living in mom's basement) who lectured me on how the player/umpire/developer/artist/musician 'should have done this!'...I'd be a trillionaire! :lol:

Poet1960 wrote: :lol: Are you serious? Running just fine on most systems, it's just an unusually large minority that are having issues? Did you even read that? Seriously?
Jeeze, calm down. Sure his wording could have been better but according to the dev less than one percent of players have raised support issues:

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/766236842173820928

They've sold A LOT of copies though so 1% is still a large number of people.

Ironically some people are complaining that the PC version should have improved more due to superior hardware and was "held back" by the PS4 version yet a large number of the PC issues are because the game was written for too advanced of hardware.

From the upcoming patch notes:
"Thousands of lines of assembly have been rewritten to support AMD CPUs. The game code no longer relies on anything above SSE 2"
"Added support for this GPU (Radeon 6xxx), which doesn't support OpenGL 4.5 fully."
"The game will now let you know if you are trying to run with an unsupported (Integrated Intel) GPU. This will hopefully flag for some users that their high-end GPU has not been selected. We are working on Intel GPU support."
Source: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/no-man ... 0-6442693/

So they had to roll back assembly using instructions newer than SSE2, they had to add support for < OpenGL 4.5 to get the Radeon 6xxx series to work, and they're working on getting Intel integrated GPUs to work. That doesn't sound to me like they should have been MORE aggressive in hardware support.

Now don't get me wrong I'm not excusing the fact that these are issues. They should have been found and resolved before launch but the complaining is very much the vocal minority here with it working fine for most people.

Asmodai wrote:
Poet1960 wrote: :lol: Are you serious? Running just fine on most systems, it's just an unusually large minority that are having issues? Did you even read that? Seriously?
Jeeze, calm down. Sure his wording could have been better but according to the dev less than one percent of players have raised support issues:

Ironically some people are complaining that the PC version should have improved more due to superior hardware and was "held back" by the PS4 version yet a large number of the PC issues are because the game was written for too advanced of hardware.

"Thousands of lines of assembly have been rewritten to support AMD CPUs. The game code no longer relies on anything above SSE 2"
"Added support for this GPU (Radeon 6xxx), which doesn't support OpenGL 4.5 fully."
"The game will now let you know if you are trying to run with an unsupported (Integrated Intel) GPU. This will hopefully flag for some users that their high-end GPU has not been selected. We are working on Intel GPU support."
Source: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/no-man ... 0-6442693/

So they had to roll back assembly using instructions newer than SSE2, they had to add support for < OpenGL 4.5 to get the Radeon 6xxx series to work, and they're working on getting Intel integrated GPUs to work. That doesn't sound to me like they should have been MORE aggressive in hardware support.

Now don't get me wrong I'm not excusing the fact that these are issues. They should have been found and resolved before launch but the complaining is very much the vocal minority here with it working fine for most people.

I am calm. According to the dev.....well, do you really expect them to say, hey most people are having problems? And how many people have asked for refunds? Quite a few from what little reading I've done. So why didn't they compile the code for backward compatibility in the first place? SSSE3 is what seems to be causing the problems mainly.

I am also tired of people making console games first, and then porting it over to PC. Either make a PC game or make a console game. If you just can't resist porting something, then build the PC version first, and then dumb it down for the console later.

I am also tired of people (this is not directed at you Asmodai) who quickly yell "haters" when someone is called out on their dubious behavior. Very often, those, "haters" are responding to, and complaining about, valid things. Example, this guy sold me a watch with no guts, we should do something. Oh, you're just a hater, the outside is still shiny.

It's just a way for people who do things that would have gotten them in major doo doo in the past, to get away with it, and....their victims actually defend them.
Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.

Asmodai wrote: Ironically some people are complaining that the PC version should have improved more due to superior hardware and was "held back" by the PS4 version yet a large number of the PC issues are because the game was written for too advanced of hardware.
Except that the PS4 supports SSE up to 4.2 and OpenGL 4.5, so imo that rather points towards minimal testing of a PS4 port :ghost:
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Poet1960 wrote: I am calm. According to the dev.....well, do you really expect them to say, hey most people are having problems? And how many people have asked for refunds? Quite a few from what little reading I've done.
I've not read anything from Steam or the developer or anyone who would know that's stated there have been a large PERCENTAGE of refund requests. If you have I'd be very interested in reading about it. I'm sure there's a lot of vocal people who have requested refunds but that's because there have been a HUGE amount of sales and even 1% is a large number of people.
Poet1960 wrote:So why didn't they compile the code for backward compatibility in the first place? SSSE3 is what seems to be causing the problems mainly.
Again I'm not making excuses for the issues. I'm just saying they don't effect a large PERCENTAGE of the people who bought the game. It's a TINY PERCENTAGE that due to an extremely large install base is still a pretty big number of individuals.

That said I think it's been make clear that PC QA was done in-house by tiny dev team (I've heard it's like 15 people) and that's all they could afford to do at the small indy studio. Sony did the PS4 QA for them and given the fixed platform there are far less issues there. Since selling a huge number of copies though they've used the income to hire an outside PC QA team so things on PC should be getting better. According to the dev the upcoming patch resolves roughly 70% of of the issues. Source: https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/766236842173820928
A good portion of that reamaing 30% may very well be people with Intel GPUs that they're working on.
Poet1960 wrote: I am also tired of people making console games first, and then porting it over to PC. Either make a PC game or make a console game. If you just can't resist porting something, then build the PC version first, and then dumb it down for the console later.
Well you better get used to it because this isn't going to change. Devs aren't going to leave money on the table so they're going to port to as many devices and they can. Since the Xbox One, PS4, and PCs are so similar the vast majority of games are going to come out for all three. Developers are going to make the games first on console because it's fixed hardware so it's easier to develop on (plus Sony and MS give $$$ to be timed exclusives.) Developing on PC is significantly more difficult because the of numerous hardware combinations a PC can be made up of. This is similar to how mobile apps are almost always developed on iPhones first despite Android making up the larger percentage of the market. iPhones have limited hardware combinations and thus are easier to develop for while Android is the wild west (much like PCs) as far as OS versions and hardware combinations.
Poet1960 wrote: I am also tired of people (this is not directed at you Asmodai) who quickly yell "haters" when someone is called out on their dubious behavior. Very often, those, "haters" are responding to, and complaining about, valid things. Example, this guy sold me a watch with no guts, we should do something. Oh, you're just a hater, the outside is still shiny.
I actually agree with you here. And again I'd like to make clear I'm just talking about the number of people with technical issues isn't as much as the vocal minority would have you believe. I do think it's very valid for people to say they hate the game because it wasn't what they expected or even doesn't do everything that was promised. I enjoy the game myself but I can certainly see why others wouldn't. I freely admit it doesn't do everything that was promised but I still find what is there enjoyable while others clearly don't.

Dinosawer wrote: Except that the PS4 supports SSE up to 4.2 and OpenGL 4.5, so imo that rather points towards minimal testing of a PS4 port :ghost:
I'm not really sure why this starts with "Except..." as if it's disproving something I stated.
I think everyone agrees and the developer has even admitted there was minimal testing of the PC version before launch.
The PC QA was minimal pre-launch, likely to do the limited budget of a small indie studio, there's really no excuse for that... at least I'm not trying to argue one.
That said the developer has used the high launch sales to hire on an external PC QA team so there is hope on the horizon for those with PC technical issues.
Now if you just don't like the actual gameplay of the game that's different and I wouldn't hold my breath that "future updates" are going to magically fix the gameplay to be to your liking so by all means get a refund if it's still available to you. If these "future updates" actually do turn out to be something you like you can always just buy the game then.

Asmodai wrote:

To be honest, Asmodai... all signs are pointing toward Hello Games (or at least Sean Murray) intentionally deceiving everyone. The game trailers show a very different, very scripted game than what's actually out there. Games change during development, yes - that's a natural part of the dev process - but there is so much missing from what Sean Murray said there would be, and from what the trailers depicted.

At one point he was going on about how they had to redesign the periodic table in order to make elements and molecules that would refract light at just the right wavelengths to get a green atmosphere. Not only would that probably require a supercomputer (simulating things on the particle level), but there is clearly nothing anywhere near that level of simulation in No Man's Sky - nor could there ever be.

Even the trailers released a month before release (after they had supposedly gone gold) showed that they still had sand-dune planets and the like - and all of those trailers are still up on the Steam store page. Most devs take those old trailers down to keep from deliberately misleading potential buyers, but Hello Games still has them up. It's deliberate misleading of potential customers. The game is not what they advertise, and Sean frequently lied about what was actually going to be in the game. I don't trust a word he says anymore.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Nobody has, anywhere. That's one of the things mentioned in the reddit article. The biggest creature anyone has seen is around five meters tall. They got significantly downscaled - my guess is due to animation issues. Larger creatures have more trouble (read: jerk about wildly) over rough terrain and the pathfinding for that isn't very good.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Dinosawer wrote:You said issues arose from it being written for too advanced hardware, not because it's a console port. I pointed out the PS4 fulfils your criteria for "too advanced hardware".
I did not say issues ONLY arose from it being a written for too advanced hardware... some issues did.
I have also stated that the PC QA was poor. These are not conflicting statements.

I think we both agree that the game was QA'd better on PS4 due to Sony doing the QA and the PC QA was insufficient.
Since we both seem to agree on that I just found it odd that you'd quote a part of what I said and then stay "Except..." as if you're disproving something.
I just found it amusing that some people are complaining about how the game should take advantage of more advanced hardware than the PS4 when running on PC and yet many of the PC issues have resulted from them taking advantage for more advanced hardware than some PC gamers have. So they have to dumb a PS4 port down to run on weaker PC hardware (AMD Phenom, Radeon 6xxx, Intel integrated GPUs, etc.)

Online Now