Return to “Games”

Re: No Man's Sky

Victor Tombs wrote:
Triggerhappy wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HefCxo9UVtA

Gonna leave this here.
Thanks Trigger! I thoroughly enjoyed that. :thumbup: I remember the videos he did about Elite Dangerous. They had me in stitches. :angel:

And remember it's forty pounds...it's forty pounds. :lol:
I'm sorry, but he rubs me up the wrong way with his bell ringing and saying the same thing over and over again.
Does he do a vid where he doesn't act like a lunatic?

:monkey:
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

Baile nam Fonn wrote:His criticism of structure POIs that very, very quickly manifest a lack of meaningful variation is perfectly valid from what I've seen, sadly. :thumbdown:
There is zero meaningful variation in the game, this is true... :(
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Silverware wrote:
Baile nam Fonn wrote:His criticism of structure POIs that very, very quickly manifest a lack of meaningful variation is perfectly valid from what I've seen, sadly. :thumbdown:
There is zero meaningful variation in the game, this is true... :(
I also agree.. the grind method is getting rather old.. rather than use my 6 mill units, I'm stockpiling them for when I really need it..

I found a mineral (in the starter area) that I was able to farm and amass a wealth of 10 mill+
Now, when I look at a rock, I shiver and move on.
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

After seeing about 20 planets, I'm starting to feel like I am mostly just seeing the same species of flora, fauna, and rocks over and over again, just with different names. It's making me feel like this game would have been better positioned as a $30 title, with a shorter time to whatever is at the center. Most everything is a quadraped. Few bipeds... but, haven't seen anything with more than 4 appendages. Different colors, different names. May all be procedural, but it seems it is all pretty tightly restricted to maybe a dozen or two basic types, and not much deviation from there. I don't know... maybe there will be greater variety as I get further away from my home world, into another galaxy, or something else.

As of now, I'm beginning to wonder if I will tire of it before I make the supposed 100 hour journey to the center. The tech is cool, and that's what drew me to it, but... we shall see.

(then there's the performance issues. and, why a game that requires opengl 4.5 when it seems a good many cards do not support that? Game runs, but I have issues. Most notably, after an hour or so of play... there comes a time when I enter my ship and my fps drops to 10, and the game goes into slow motion. The only way to recover it is to restart the game.)

ramjet wrote:After seeing about 20 planets, I'm starting to feel like I am mostly just seeing the same species of flora, fauna, and rocks over and over again, just with different names. It's making me feel like this game would have been better positioned as a $30 title, with a shorter time to whatever is at the center. Most everything is a quadraped. Few bipeds... but, haven't seen anything with more than 4 appendages. Different colors, different names. May all be procedural, but it seems it is all pretty tightly restricted to maybe a dozen or two basic types, and not much deviation from there. I don't know... maybe there will be greater variety as I get further away from my home world, into another galaxy, or something else.
My experience is different. While I've seen multiple qudrapeds as well on my starter world alone I also ran into a small shrimp/preying mantis type creature that tends to hang out around clusters of the red energy crystals. Unlike the quadrapeds which seem to all be friendly thus far this nasty mantis bug appears to be always hostile. So I stared the game by being chased back to my ship by one. Anyway it has at least 6 legs from memory... possibly 8 but I'd bet six if I had to.

Also there seems to be some sort of giant dragonfly thing but I've never seen them land, just flying over head. No idea how many legs they have. My planet doesn't have any major bodies of water that I've found so I don't know what sea life is like. There are 5 total planets, one moon, and one space station in my starting solar system. Two of the planets have life while the other three are barren. I've only played for a few hours and I've got back to my starting planet because it had the most life. I just finished building my hyperdrive and making my first unit of fuel but I'm not ready to leave the system yet. I've got more words to learn, species to find, etc. I'm having a great time with the game and find it very relaxing (when I'm not being chased away by the killer mantis things).
ramjet wrote:As of now, I'm beginning to wonder if I will tire of it before I make the supposed 100 hour journey to the center. The tech is cool, and that's what drew me to it, but... we shall see.
Personally I have no current desire (though I'm still only a few hours in) to move to the center. I don't think the point of this game is to complete it or to gather everything. For me it's just fun to experience it. I could see myself easily spending 100 hours on it if there's just a few more, significantly different planets to explore... like an ocean one would be great. As of now I'm more than happy to spend at least a few more hours just on my starter world.
ramjet wrote: (then there's the performance issues. and, why a game that requires opengl 4.5 when it seems a good many cards do not support that? Game runs, but I have issues. Most notably, after an hour or so of play... there comes a time when I enter my ship and my fps drops to 10, and the game goes into slow motion. The only way to recover it is to restart the game.)
I'm playing the PS4 version... I've had it crash once but otherwise I haven't noticed any issues performance or otherwise. Besides the one crash the only other thing I wish was a bit better is when flying around a planet in a ship there is a significant amount of pop-in. On foot seems fine for me as well as space but zooming around the planets it has trouble loading assets as fast as I can see them. I consider that very minor though so overall I'm very happy thus far.

My starting planet have big quadrupeds, small quadrapeds and some sort of flying things so far. The latter being too far above in the sky to be able to say how they look. They're pretty large, as far as I can say.

Being a PC-gamer, I only can confirm the general thoughts regarding performance. Putting everything at low doesn't solve any problems at all. Flying with the ship within the starting planet atmosphere is a pain in the ass sometimes. My plan is to take it easy until some patches solve part of these performance problems before engaging in further exploration. It's a pity, because I like the game so far, but there you go. I'll try to discover more in the starting planet and then wait to go out and explore space and other planets.

Oh, and I'm not planning on following any sort of path coreward... At least for now. :ghost:
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

I have read that HG did not have the funds to finish the project. Not until Sony came to the rescue.
If on one hand this has made NMS possible, on the other has constrained it to fit on the PS4 hardware.
Sean Murray said -more or less- that if he could target more powerful hardware there would be more content and more variety, even more depth to some game mechanics, in NMS.
But of course a console is a closed box, and its hardware (like any hardware) soon walks the road of obsolescence (there is no need I further elaborate on this subject), and Sony's money covered only little more than the development of the console version. As a result the PC port was done on a very restrict budget.

Now, I wonder how much of it is true?
Was NMS ever in danger of being canned and canceled?

fox wrote:I have read that HG did not have the funds to finish the project. Not until Sony came to the rescue.
If on one hand this has made NMS possible, on the other has constrained it to fit on the PS4 hardware.
Sean Murray said -more or less- that if he could target more powerful hardware there would be more content and more variety, even more depth to some game mechanics, in NMS.
But of course a console is a closed box, and its hardware (like any hardware) soon walks the road of obsolescence (there is no need I further elaborate on this subject), and Sony's money covered only little more than the development of the console version. As a result the PC port was done on a very restrict budget.

Now, I wonder how much of it is true?
Was NMS ever in danger of being canned and canceled?
Ima guess yes, they made bad decisions, and without the help of sony, wouldn't have had the PR to actually get any return on investment, and the game would have died in obscurity.

Mind if it had, the way would be clear for Limit Theory.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020

Gamasutra pointed out today that NMS had over 200,000 concurrent players on Steam on its first day of launching for the PC.

By comparison, Skyrim had around 280,000 concurrent Steam players, with 3.5 million units sold in its first two days. If that's a fair comparison, it suggests that NMS sold around 3 million copies.

At $60 per unit, that's in the neighborhood of 180 million dollars of total revenue. Taking out Valve's cut (guesstimated at around 30%), that leaves a paltry $120M for Hello Games.

Not counting PS4 sales.

For a company of 15 people.

...I think it's fair to say that Hello Games will be able to afford to patch NMS for as long and as much as they want to.

Flatfingers wrote:Gamasutra pointed out today that NMS had over 200,000 concurrent players on Steam on its first day of launching for the PC.

By comparison, Skyrim had around 280,000 concurrent Steam players, with 3.5 million units sold in its first two days. If that's a fair comparison, it suggests that NMS sold around 3 million copies.

At $60 per unit, that's in the neighborhood of 180 million dollars of total revenue. Taking out Valve's cut (guesstimated at around 30%), that leaves a paltry $120M for Hello Games.

Not counting PS4 sales.

For a company of 15 people.

...I think it's fair to say that Hello Games will be able to afford to patch NMS for as long and as much as they want to.
This is true, and without the overhype provided by Sony, it would have been impossible. :D
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°

Well I'm glad i didn't have to pay for my copy, especially at that price tag which is roughly $80 US! (it was gifted to me, I didn't ask for it a friend insisted, think he's given up already :lol:) - just reinforces my desire for Limit Theory even more. NMS feels like playing the original Halo, without the narrative. Few weapons, a 'close' sort of interface, plenty of areas to go, but unless you stick to the path it'll get old pretty quickly.
Sure the elements (weather) gives a slight challenge, but blast some hapless rocks and/or organic life forms into submission/death and voila! Shields restored! Ammo restored! etc.

Every world is colourful in the same sort of way, every 'alien' a familiar face (what, no octopus overseers? No Elephantine librarians?). It's not a bad game but feels kind of retro with a lot of grinding thrown in. I'll probably give it a few more hours to see how I go but at this rate reach the centre I certainly won't.

Cheers
Lodis

Online Now