Return to “Games”

Re: No Man's Sky

"The Elder ones looked to the Sky, then back at the Scrolls, then back at the Sky again (some where watching TV instead of the Sky). No Man in sight. How could the Scrolls be wrong? Through time immemorial, the Prophecies have always foretold the coming of The Man. But this time the wait seemed to Drag..on. The eldest of the Elder, Scrolls in hand, decreed: woe, for the Fallout is upon us! And by Oblivion and Todd's Hinies, will you Shut the Gates already! The other eldest of the Elder gave him a Pat on the back and said: stay Sharp!"

:problem: time to go to bed.
old-fashioned :ghost:

Mistycica wrote:afaik you have to protect your IP in court if you want to keep using it. Be it nonsensical like Sky or Scrolls, law demands you do.
It's true that you have to defend your IP to keep it, but No Man's Sky and Sky TV were in two different industries, so I feel like that's even LESS reasonable than "Scrolls".

But now that I think about it, you may have a point that the lawyers were pretty much doing their jobs within the law. I think copyright law within the US is what's messed up.
Ship Inspiration Pinterest!! (send me stuff)

"You’ve got to work on something dangerous. You have to work on something that makes you uncertain. Something that makes you doubt yourself... because it stimulates you to do things you haven’t done before. The whole thing is if you know where you’re going, you’ve gone, as the poet says. And that’s death."
- Stephen Sondheim

AlexWasLike wrote:
Mistycica wrote:afaik you have to protect your IP in court if you want to keep using it. Be it nonsensical like Sky or Scrolls, law demands you do.
It's true that you have to defend your IP to keep it, but No Man's Sky and Sky TV were in two different industries, so I feel like that's even LESS reasonable than "Scrolls".

But now that I think about it, you may have a point that the lawyers were pretty much doing their jobs within the law. I think copyright law within the US is what's messed up.
This overzealousness cannot be justified as reasonable unfortunately. US IP law is messed up, but not this messed up. The violation of your trademark only happens when consumers might genuinely confuse your product/service with that of the other, or falsely assume that the new product/service was associated with your company.
This is not the case here at all. The use of Sky in NMS will lead to no trademark dilution. This is a dick move by Sky TV.
Here's a link that talks about this-

https://cyber.law.harvard.edu/metaschoo ... tm.htm#toc

Source: I've just completed my legal education.

Vartul wrote: This overzealousness cannot be justified as reasonable unfortunately. US IP law is messed up, but not this messed up. The violation of your trademark only happens when consumers might genuinely confuse your product/service with that of the other, or falsely assume that the new product/service was associated with your company.
This is not the case here at all. The use of Sky in NMS will lead to no trademark dilution. This is a dick move by Sky TV.
Here's a link that talks about this-

https://cyber.law.harvard.edu/metaschoo ... tm.htm#toc

Source: I've just completed my legal education.
Congrats on the law degree! And thank you for the link.

Yeah, that's what I had suspected. I don't understand what companies gain from carrying out inane lawsuits like this.
Ship Inspiration Pinterest!! (send me stuff)

"You’ve got to work on something dangerous. You have to work on something that makes you uncertain. Something that makes you doubt yourself... because it stimulates you to do things you haven’t done before. The whole thing is if you know where you’re going, you’ve gone, as the poet says. And that’s death."
- Stephen Sondheim

ForsakenCrown wrote:No Man's Sky has officially gone gold. Just thought some of you might like to know this. A shame we won't (likely) get to play LT anytime before this, or for a while after, but NMS will do till the day LT does release.
But it's still being released on August 9th, right? :think: :ghost:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

Idunno wrote:
ForsakenCrown wrote:No Man's Sky has officially gone gold. Just thought some of you might like to know this. A shame we won't (likely) get to play LT anytime before this, or for a while after, but NMS will do till the day LT does release.
Yes. Going Gold means they have completed the game, no more content goes in, and this "gold copy" will be sent to the relevant 3rd-party marketers to package the game for Steam, GOG, etc.
If there is a boxed version, this "gold" version is the original from which all CDs are printed from.
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

FormalMoss wrote:
Idunno wrote:
Yes. Going Gold means they have completed the game, no more content goes in, and this "gold copy" will be sent to the relevant 3rd-party marketers to package the game for Steam, GOG, etc.
If there is a boxed version, this "gold" version is the original from which all CDs are printed from.
I see. :ghost:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

Idunno wrote:
FormalMoss wrote:
I see. :ghost:
For those not familiar with the term, a game entering "gold" status means that physical copies are being pressed and sent to retailers in preparation for the title's release.
Taken from here.
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

Online Now