Return to “Games”

Re: No Man's Sky

clayjohn wrote:On my Steam it still says it releases on the 21st? Maybe the delay only effects a certain region or something of that nature. I've heard the UK/EU have weird standards about when games can be released.
iirc there are no standards, publishers simply like to maximize their first financial week sales by releasing on the first day, which is different than in the US. And some publishers just hate non-americans :D
panic

Apparently there were death threats aimed at the Kotaku guy, and physically ill fans weeping about ravaged vacation plans?

Yes, hype too much is apparently a thing, and it's ugly and sad. :shock:

http://kotaku.com/its-official-no-mans- ... 1779236658

The folks claiming they were puking about having taken time off and lost the gamble were in some youtube comments I saw the other day.
Last edited by Baile nam Fonn on Sat May 28, 2016 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell

Delayed, and my pre-order is cancelled. AAA titles are NOT delayed 3 weeks out from release. Ever. Logistically, it is impossible that they only applied the breaks recently. 3 weeks out, the game has gone gold and production is chugging along full-steam. Manuals and discs are being manufactured and promotional materials are signed off on and gone to press. Any delay necessarily had to come weeks or months ago. Which means that information was suppressed and kept from the general public in order to milk more pre-orders. The deception and lack of credibility this calls into question, for me and I imagine many others, with regards to Hello Games leaves me unable to trust in No Man's Sky until it has been released and reviews have piled up to show whether or not this is an actual game with serious legs or just another tech demo gone wild (SPORE, I'm looking at you). I am furious at the deceit, not the delay.

Mistycica wrote: Question: why is this not the default point of order?
It still would have been, given that Steam allows a full refund on any title you haven't put more than a couple hours into so it would be easy enough to get a refund after the fact. But after this fiasco, they won't have my money unless they put out a damn fine game. And an equally damn fine apology for skin-flinting and deceiving their community.

I'm completely fine with the delay. This is not a AAA company we are talking about. These are twelve people making a highly experimental thing. I would need to wait maybe a year anyway because I don't have sixty bucks to spare. (Besides, with less than that I could buy both The Phantom Pain and The Witcher 3 with all the expansions, and those are first in my list. Having the money, however, I would do it.) So I can't see a fiasco anywhere.

I'm not going to be reading reviews either, because I'm perfectly capable of deciding for myself if I like a game or not, and I would prefer to discover the game on my own. Besides, reviews are usually useless to tell me anything relevant about any game. The people who write them are anything like me, and their tastes are nothing like mine, so who care what they say? I understand however that sometimes, when I don't like or care about a game, I may read or watch reviews to see if they convince me that I'm wrong about it. That's how I decided to give Dishonored and Metro Last Light a chance, so I would have missed two great game (one of them a true master piece) without them. But when I like a game I couldn't care less about other people's opinions, particularly in the case of people playing because they have to, not because they want to. (I have read many negative reviews about games I truly love, so I'm glad that I waited in those cases. I don't need any negativity in my mine regarding something I'm about to play.)

Regarding people who insist that they don't know what you do in NMS because they haven't shown enough in their videos, that makes absolutely no sense to me. They may have shown too much already. And by the way, what do you do in Minecraft for example? I played the game years ago, and I'm not sure. There are not too much to do, but apparently people keep finding things to do regardless. Maybe this game doesn't tell you what to do and you have to find it on your own. That sounds pretty cool, all right.

However, as far as we know, the game has missions, crafting, space combat, first person shooting and melee, traveling, trade, puzzles, NPCs dialogues, lore discovery, factions, item upgrades, surviving, and who knows what else. I know a few games that have only one or two of those features and are amazing, so why people are complaining because there seems to be very little to do? Besides, is not about what you can do but what you feel when doing it. Some people are even afraid because the game may lose its novelty after, I don't know, maybe ten hours. Really? Ten hours? That seems like a lot of hours to me, and I'm pretty sure many people will spend much more than that only discovering new things to do or more places to go. Even the creators, who have been playing the thing for a few years now, say that they continue finding new things that they didn't know were possible.

This, like Kerbal Space Program, could be pretty much a virtually infinite game when is not about what you are supposed to do but basically finding the many ways that the rules of the game interact with each other, creating all kinds of unexpected scenarios. Or not, because not every game has to be the same.
"Playing" is not simply a pastime, it is the primordial basis of imagination and creation. - Hideo Kojima

In terms of development it is a small 15-person development team, yes. And that is why it has taken them 5 years to finish development. But in terms of publishing, they are going direct through Sony, one of the largest video game publishers on the planet. Whether the order came from Hello Games or Sony is immaterial, someone instructed retailers like Gamestop to suppress the fact that the release date was changing. If Hello Games was not responsible for that directive, they made NO move to inform the small army of press they've been working their way through building up hype for No Man's Sky for the last several months at a feverish pace. This IS a AAA title in terms of publishing, and any delay would have been decided upon months ago. All it would have taken was a press release back in March or April. But nope, they chose instead to mislead us so they could sell a few more pre-order copies under the pretext of a June 21 release date. Games are NOT delayed this late in their development period. For all the delays GTA5 suffered on PC, at least they had the good grace to announce it early (and often).

Matthew Cason wrote:In terms of development it is a small 15-person development team, yes. And that is why it has taken them 5 years to finish development.
GTA V took 6 years to complete with a crew of hundreds, and a budget of squillions. NMS had 4 people working on it for approximately the first 3 years of it's development (the project's staff increase is relatively recent).

Online Now