Return to “Games”

Re: No Man's Sky

Just found this new vid on IGN the lead dev/MD delves deep into the procedural generation aspect of the game and how NMS uses random noise in it's algorithms to effectively produce a random encounter for every player,creature,ships and the planets random dynamic terrain.

It's quite a brilliant watch as Sean Murray seems to be the mirror image of Josh as in brilliant,humble,and self effacing and a whizz at math and algorithms. :ugeek:
Also makes a change where the IGN guy seems to be very intelligent with his questions as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-kifCYToAU

What's stunning about NMS is that there must be more than ten hours of combined footage online about this game with both the gameplay and and dev commentary, and yet the magic of the game refuses to abate. I remember, after I'd watched two hours of arkham knight, I had zero desire to play it after that. With No Man's Sky, well, a thing of beauty is joy forever.

Not to be down on NMS, I like where it is going, but I kinda feel that the space-to-planetside transition could use more scale. Or maybe it is the planets that should be larger. Dunno, epic universe with epic space battles. Then zip, just a few seconds from space to planet surface. Not that it has to be Prometheus landing on LV-223, but something grander than what we've seen so far would be nice :)
old-fashioned :ghost:

All planets we've seen until now are rather small. Some so small, one would expect to see the little prince walking on it the next moment... If that's the rule or only demo iterations to show, we'll see. Maybe there are planets of all possible sizes, who knows. In the last interview The Man said that there are solar systems where planets are far away from one another (without reaching realistic distances), but a lot of systems are "concentrated" because they don't think travelling between planets without nothing to do is good for gameplay. Having played ED I can say that sometimes realistic distances are boring, even with FSD.
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

Thank you for the links, Vartul, but these videos are killing me. I want my PC version now. :(
Vartul wrote:P.S.- I hope they have a view distance slider on pc. the texture and geometry streaming is definitely something that could benefit from good hardware.
I've got the new PC hardware so bring it on. :thumbup: :angel:

Edit: I should have thanked you as well Groufac. ;) :thumbup: :D

This looked like an incredible tech demo when it first appeared... and it still does. I had to read the Wikipedia site to get a good idea of what the gameplay is actually going to be.

I'm not saying it's not going to be great, but right now I'm not particularly psyched for it. :|

Sadly. He still seems hellbent on showing the same "Land here and look at pretty things nobody has seen before" Every video still does not give me a reason to "PLAY" the game. I am sorry about his dream but I am not going to pay 60 USD to look at fish and animals.

Online Now