Return to “Games”

Starbound servers

Hey guys!

So, Starbound beta is coming out tomorrow.

I'm going to host a beta server, but I was wondering if anyone wanted to host their own server as well, and link them together?
Starbound allows multiplayer servers to be clustered, much like an IRC network.

We could each host our own community site, or pool our resources together into a large community site with subsections per server/community/clan/guild.

Let me know if you're interested?
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.
Re: Starbound servers

DWMagus wrote:I may have to get in on this.

While I didn't get into terraria, I still want to try.
Depends what you didn't like in Terraria, I guess? :)
Starbound does seem a lot more structured and guided.
Here's a trailer: www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyMJE9ZHIqQ

TanC wrote:Whoa. I wasn't aware that Starbound lets you do that. That's pretty cool! :clap:

Are you looking for a persistent server or?
It depends really. While in beta I don't really care about persistence. Though, the persistent servers would be master concerning conflicting changes. Once beta is over and we get a better idea how mods are handled in clusters and how anti-cheat will be implemented, we can see how non-persistent fit in the whole clustered server design.
I think it would be cool to host an inclusive universe, where people can link their own (temporary) server where their friends or community connect to.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

I'm currently uploading the server.

If anyone wants to play, the address will be laerad.net. The default port is 21025 if I'm not mistaking.
It should be up between now and 15 minutes.

Katorone wrote:
DWMagus wrote:I may have to get in on this.

While I didn't get into terraria, I still want to try.
Depends what you didn't like in Terraria, I guess? :)
I just missed the hype train, that's all. I got in on Minecraft when it came out, thus rode that all the way, with Terraria, I just never sat down and played it. The one or two times I tried, I didn't have the time to invest, and thus just never could get into it.

I wish I had though.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

I have an extra starbound key if you're interested. The amount of detail in this game is amazing.
Even while still in beta it also seems a lot more structured than terraria.

The server crashed during the night, it's now up again. I've created a script to automatically restart it when it crashes.

DWMagus was asking me over Steam about how Starbound plays. A little hard to describe if he's not familiar with Terraria. But I would say it's a tad more things to do compared to Terraria. :lol: Plus I love that there's my starship in orbit over the planet that I could use to zip over to other planets if I want to...

Definitely needs some tooltips to help things along the way personally...
In Josh we trust.

TanC wrote:DWMagus was asking me over Steam about how Starbound plays. A little hard to describe if he's not familiar with Terraria. But I would say it's a tad more things to do compared to Terraria. :lol: Plus I love that there's my starship in orbit over the planet that I could use to zip over to other planets if I want to...

Definitely needs some tooltips to help things along the way personally...
Yeah, I'm missing a lot of tooltips as well.

Starbound... I'd compare it to megaman meets minecraft. The bosses and combat really feels more like the oldschool NES games than terraria.

I'm inclined to agree on both points, and I love that it feels that way. I'd just like to extend a thank you to you, Kat. I was on the server for a good 5 hours last night, I almost forgot to sleep. There are a lot of cool, helpful people there.
Grumblesaur wrote:we're going to need
Kvallning wrote:to get beyond Thunderdome
The Four Word Story Thread|IRC Needs You!|Game FAQ
There is NO PREORDER OR DONATION POSSIBILITY
In Josh we trust.

Katorone wrote:Starbound... I'd compare it to megaman meets minecraft. The bosses and combat really feels more like the oldschool NES games than terraria.
That's it. I'm sold.

Damnit, I have so many other games to get through as well as real life projects to finish. :P
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Online Now