Return to “Games”

Re: RimWorld

This no crop sowing, more dangerous hunting, but no raids scenario I've been playing is really quite good.
Plenty of tension centered around food forcing me to make trading expeditions, which aren't safe from ambush.

My latest scrape was a Pyrrhic victory. I 'successfully' raided a guarded neurotrainer stash by sacrificing several trained boars. The population had been exploding --pun intended-- slaughtering them is too much hassle on account of the universal boomalope condition. But my only medic on the team succumbed to a great bow in the process. The others suffered some burns and at least one arrow-wound each in the process, and most of my surviving boars were hurt bad. Limping home took a while, and I was forced to hand over one of the neurotrainers to an ambush party (further conflict was out of the question, since several of the expedition's survivors desperately needed to get back and under medical care). The final prize was not disappointing though: two growing, good for foraging and tree-clearing, and one social, crucial for trade.
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell

To my knowledge, Rimworld has never gone on sale because the devs don't want to sell it for any less than $30. That's the primary reason I still don't have it. I've never bought a game at full price (unless it was $10 or less), and I still have plenty of other ones to play.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:35 am
To my knowledge, Rimworld has never gone on sale because the devs don't want to sell it for any less than $30. That's the primary reason I still don't have it. I've never bought a game at full price (unless it was $10 or less), and I still have plenty of other ones to play.
Rimworld is a pretty great game though. As much as $30 might seem on the high side I can comfortably say I have gotten more hours enjoyment out of it than many $60 games.

Seconds after loading up my current save (a scenario attempting to see my 5 crashlanded teenagers live into their twenties),
Muffalo 10, an old male that self-tamed a few seasons back, nuzzled my chief grower and was renamed 'Death'. Good omen? No? :P
Despite choosing the easiest possible setting and disabling raids, manhunter packs, and mad animals, the colony has seen some violence.
Notably a muffalo stampede which no doubt features prominently in their nightmares.
Interesting injury coincidences: two teens with destroyed right hand ring fingers and two with destroyed noses.

psst. :squirrel:
Unstable Alpha 18.
Not officially announced yet, but reportedly not horribly unstable. Gonna test it today. :mrgreen:

Some highlights:
  • labelled world map
  • lotta new mood stuff (including such things as 'murderous rage', 'running wild', 'tantrum', 'work frenzy', 'inspired art')
  • combat logs geared toward dwarfy storytelling
  • bedroll (portable bed)
  • pawn banishment
  • tornadoes, meteorites, and auroras

Just had an interesting kerfuffle break out in my Phoebe peaceful custom scenario permanent-aurora colony:

[Early winter, a cold snap and hard snow have been keeping the colonists indoors]
[Enter combat supplier caravan from the East]
A hungry (and very stupid) wolf sees a meal opportunity, and latches on to the shiv-wielding trader's arm.
Her reflexive response was a solid left hook to the nose, followed by a jab to his neck with her shiv.
At this point, though, her fate was sealed by the cook/grenadier of the party, Artemis, who already had a frag out. Y'know, as you do in a wolf ambush.
Priscilla the pop idol pirate squeezes off a round and misses the wolf as he's scratching poor, doomed Onesan's neck, followed up by his final act: a particularly nasty scratch to her right leg and foot.
And then it's over for the wolf. A point blank sniper rifle shot from the psychopathic, neurotic, masochistic caravan clerk decapitates him and ends the lesser threat to Onesan.
But the greater threat has rolled to a stop between clerk and merchant, and half a moment later the shocking finality of the wolf's demise is eclipsed by a sharp, vicious blast of shrapnel.
Onesan's nose is all but obliterated as the fury of the grenade rips through her left side, killing her instantly.
The clerk, who had apparently pivoted, staggers forward, astonishingly still on her feet and still holding the rifle, but with grievous wounds to torso, heart, and lung that quickly soak parka and amour vest with blood.

I have a proper medical room furnished nearby, and a skilled young doctor. Maybe I can save her, if she's downed quick enough..
Spoiler:      SHOW

edit:
She wasn't downed quick enough. Bee-lined for the map edge so I resorted to arresting her.
The rest of the caravan took exception to this intervention attempt and opened fire, severely wounding my beautiful & kind 18 year old doctor, riddling mostly her arms (and a couple grazing shots to neck and torso) with LMG and rifle fire as she dove for cover. They hastily exited the map (dooming the perforated clerk) as I hastily dragged poor Nicole to be patched up by Peters (not a doctor) back at base.
Last edited by Baile nam Fonn on Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The details of this 'pixelated style' engraving must be quite small and intricate, to have fit all that in recognizably. Of course I'm going to let him equip this gun.
And with that, all of my armed colonists now have named machine pistols: Stabber (excellent quality), Shadow Termite (legendary), and Strife (masterwork). :mrgreen:

Shadow Termite (wielded by a senior night owl animal handler I recently rescued from a deer herd ambush) is about an empty hat and dentists ...make of that what you will. :roll:
Strife is about Nicole Squid, the beautiful young founder of the colony, becoming a master cook out of necessity.
The engraving emphasizes her lack of enthusiasm for the responsibility-- she has no passion for it, but prefers rather
such things as practicing medicine, undertaking diplomatic missions, hunting (spray'n'pray-style), research, and flirting with Ramos.

Online Now