Return to “Games”

The Long Dark

Not much here beyond rambling and a rough conceptual outline. Still, I find it reasonably interesting. At any rate, if the writing and gameplay live up to the paeans that members of the development team offer to one another in the promotional video it will be one hell of a ride. ;) :shifty: :think:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hin ... f=kicktraq

Color me intrigued. :eh:
I know not what life is, nor death.
Year in year out-all but a dream.
Both Heaven and Hell are left behind;
I stand in the moonlit dawn,
Free from clouds of attachment.
Re: The Long Dark

Was hoping for a bit more I really don't get behind something if I can't see some footage well anything really and so far nowt convinces me to back this hopefully we get to see something,but this might have the Camelot Unchained factor show bugger all but get the KS crowd going mental still keeping an eye on this mainly for the pedigree of the team atm.

Gave me some warm fuzzies to see that this game is to be developed by a Canadian based team, set in Canadian Wilderness (the best of its kind that our globe has to offer, in my very biased opinion) and successfully funded with CAD. That the Swedish & Finnish translation stretch goal wasn't reached is a little disappointing.. I harbour a sort of closet enthusiasm for these beautiful languages.

I have already experienced it in a limited way (week-long tenting in Ontario's Crown lands), so I can personally vouch for the "beautiful but savage Northern Wilderness".

Also, I admire Raphael's beard.
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell

It probably helps the Americans funding it that the CAD is almost 1:1 with the USD. :) It can be painful watching the number jump from GBP to USD...

I'm happy an apocalypse game is coming without zombies. Huge solar storms creating worldwide auroras and destroying anything digital is a great backstory.

Bump!

After searching in the forums for a couple of minutes :ghost: Yeah, I knew that this topic existed and didn't want to start a new one :thumbup:

GOG has an 33% off-offer for the alpha version of the game now. The game is beautiful and interesting (reminder: post-disaster survival experience without zombies). The alpha shows both sandbox and story modes and is 100% playable (of course, being an alpha and all, it surely contains balancing issues and the such). The story mode contains the first chapter and the sandbox mode 4 or 5 scenarios to play. Further updates expand the chapters in the story mode. Textures aren't AAA, but for me that's not important.

I started a sandbox game in the first scenario "Mistery Lake" and difficulty level "easy" (where animals don't bother you at all unless provoked first) and already survived my first 4 days. Exploration and surviving the freezing temperatures, building things, getting something to eat or drink. All of it very nice. It's worth the price!

PS: AND. NO. ZOMBIES!!! :twisted:
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

Glad you like it. Is a peaceful and relaxed experience, to say the least. I'll give it a try some more in the sandbox mode before stepping in the story mode. It is a true surviving experience: no camera changes, no map. Oh, and no jumping either! That was weird for me, when was the last time I played a game without a jump button :lol: Early today I found a wolf or whatever devouring a deer and, since I was already sick of fish, put one of my flares to good use and scared the crap out of the poor animal. After some time working with the knife now I have a lot of deer meat, a good wannabe deer-pelt jacket and some new materials to build a bow... :ghost:
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

I don't think the story mode is released yet. They are still making improvements to the sandbox mode. They plan to release the story mode later in the spring and then release the full chapter episodically throughout the year. Updates right now are mainly bug fixes and tweaks to the gameplay.

Online Now