Return to “Games”

Re: Planetary Annihilation

Mordakai wrote:
Idunno wrote:Hey guys, look at what I found. :ghost: :twisted:

Fanmade mod got added to the game. :shh:
Added to the game? Doesn't look like it, just looks like a mod needing to be installed separately like any other.

There was an update to the game adding various community patches or whatever, which includes integrated mod support making it easier to get this mod, but still isn't itself part of the game.
*Added to the Lore. :ghost:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

Idunno wrote:
Mordakai wrote:
Idunno wrote:Hey guys, look at what I found. :ghost: :twisted:

Fanmade mod got added to the game. :shh:
Added to the game? Doesn't look like it, just looks like a mod needing to be installed separately like any other.

There was an update to the game adding various community patches or whatever, which includes integrated mod support making it easier to get this mod, but still isn't itself part of the game.
*Added to the Lore. :ghost:
That doesn't sound any more correct. Mod lore is still just fan fiction, doesn't seem to have anything to do with the game lore.

Mordakai wrote:That doesn't sound any more correct. Mod lore is still just fan fiction, doesn't seem to have anything to do with the game lore.
I don't know how, but I went from replying to this comment, to getting served by the CAI in Zero-K. :ghost:

What sorcery is this? :eh: :think:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

positron wrote:by far the worst game i have ever supported on kickstarter or whatever the platform they had back in the day.
You must not have supported many games. I don't play it much any more, but this game had a lot of cool stuff going for it.

Certainly had it's share of performance issues early on, mainly that you could only play online (even single player vs ai) and it's hosting servers weren't really up the task, but that's all long since been improved, leaving a pretty decent game with innovations in gameplay and UI I haven't seen elsewhere (radius commands, multi planetary gameplay, sea through orbital layers of combat, inter-planetary nukes, launching asteroids into planets, giant death star thing. Hell, I might need to go play it again.

positron wrote:by far the worst game i have ever supported on kickstarter or whatever the platform they had back in the day.
At least they certainly had some innovation in the starving RTS genre with those spherical maps and therefore was from my perspective worth it. They just went bit to far with multiple planets in one game as the camera was akward when zooming in / out but that was just a minor thing. And they went for my taste not far enough with the galactic war where I could imagine some interesting gameplay if it would not just be the player advancing from planet to planet but also if one could lost conquered planets to the AI again, the AI should also fight for conquering planets and not just wait for the player to jump from planet to planet.
One of the best AI in a long time so I can't see in what way they whole game would be one of the worst games.

I have over 3k hours in PA, starting in Beta and ending just after Titans released. I'll never play it again, for 'reasons':

Had personal contact with the devs to discuss ways to improve the game throughout the EA phase. They were skittish when it came to making big changes to the overall vision unless it was their idea originally. All of our well researched and modded ideas were tossed out the window (with one exception, which is the orbital revamp in Titans).
Essentially, they didn't listen to us and instead went full-blown ESports crazy trying to please that crowd (cornflakes mentioned this in an earlier post). We explained problems with game mechanics and how that would affect their 'vision for the game', and they would shoot us down.

The developers were far too invested in the idea of what the game should be according to them. This is usually a great thing in a dev team, but this time it was destructive. The vision changed at least twice in noticeable ways, and it alienated many backers who were attracted to the promise of a community-driven project like PA. Instead of a steadfast vision and shifting mechanical implementation based on feedback, we got a shifting vision and a unorganized mechanical implementation.

Personally, I think PA could have easily surpassed Supcom I in scope and scale. They had the basic tools in place during the Beta and early Gamma development stages, but veered sharply in the exact wrong direction afterwards. They focused on shiny toys (the death star) instead of fixing broken mechanics and horrible balancing (a third of the unit roster was never used at any given point in the game's development).

I enjoyed the game while it lasted, and to get that RTS fix, I now play supcom. The fixed map system bores me after a few matches, but the scale is something you can't find anywhere else.

Mered4 wrote: I enjoyed the game while it lasted, and to get that RTS fix, I now play supcom. The fixed map system bores me after a few matches, but the scale is something you can't find anywhere else.
Install forged alliance forever, receive anti-slowdown patch (increased my game speed two-fourfold) and receive easy to install community made maps.
Also coop-campaign :mrgreen:

Lemar wrote:
At least they certainly had some innovation in the starving RTS genre with those spherical maps and therefore was from my perspective worth it. They just went bit to far with multiple planets in one game as the camera was akward when zooming in / out but that was just a minor thing. And they went for my taste not far enough with the galactic war where I could imagine some interesting gameplay if it would not just be the player advancing from planet to planet but also if one could lost conquered planets to the AI again, the AI should also fight for conquering planets and not just wait for the player to jump from planet to planet.
One of the best AI in a long time so I can't see in what way they whole game would be one of the worst games.
one of the worst for me ,doesnt mean anything to anyone else i guess..which is fine :D
I played alot of TA and supreme commander.. and after shelling 90$ on its kickstarer phase I think I never played more then a few hours.
ohh well.. it is on sale for 5 bucks for a reason. :twisted:

positron wrote: one of the worst for me ,doesnt mean anything to anyone else i guess..which is fine :D
I played alot of TA and supreme commander.. and after shelling 90$ on its kickstarer phase I think I never played more then a few hours.
ohh well.. it is on sale for 5 bucks for a reason. :twisted:
To be fair, pledging $90 for Kickstarter games is just asking for disappointment in general.

I also backed it on Kickstarter, but my $20 for the game on release seems a far better deal than yours.

Online Now