Return to “Games”

Re: Dwarf Fortress?

DF almost got me there right about now...

My second winter has come, 3 Kobold-Thieves (which all were discovered very early), 2 caravans and (surprisingly) not a single ambush yet. The problem...apparently they need water to brew alcohol...and all water is frozen. :ghost: pretty much yeah and hurray! :?

So what to do now, I asked myself...then I went to pray, that spring comes early this year...and then I started ordering lots and lots and lots of wooden caskets as soon as my first dwarf died from thirst...and then another one, and another one...and...hey! Achievement, hurray! They found 10 corpses...meh...more caskets!!

In the end spring came, and my glorious, misshapen and led-by-an-useless-noob ( :ghost: ) fortress emerged from the snow! with 20 dwarves less than last fall but...meh...

I survived!!! :ghost: :ghost: :ghost:

And now I'm waiting for the ambush that's coming along surely to finish me off...what I'm going to do then...pray and order more caskets. :ghost: Wish me luck!
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.
- - - - - - - -

F4wk35 wrote:DF almost got me there right about now...

My second winter has come, 3 Kobold-Thieves (which all were discovered very early), 2 caravans and (surprisingly) not a single ambush yet. The problem...apparently they need water to brew alcohol...and all water is frozen. :ghost: pretty much yeah and hurray! :?

So what to do now, I asked myself...then I went to pray, that spring comes early this year...and then I started ordering lots and lots and lots of wooden caskets as soon as my first dwarf died from thirst...and then another one, and another one...and...hey! Achievement, hurray! They found 10 corpses...meh...more caskets!!

In the end spring came, and my glorious, misshapen and led-by-an-useless-noob ( :ghost: ) fortress emerged from the snow! with 20 dwarves less than last fall but...meh...

I survived!!! :ghost: :ghost: :ghost:

And now I'm waiting for the ambush that's coming along surely to finish me off...what I'm going to do then...pray and order more caskets. :ghost: Wish me luck!
Nope, they don't need water to brew alcohol. Alcohol requires two things:

1. Suitable container (barrel or stone pot)
2. brewable item (plump helmets, cave wheat, fruit, etc.)

Water is for if there's no alcohol to be had - it keeps your dwarves from dying of thirst.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

That's strange, though =/

Because as soon as the water unfroze, my (newly appointed) Brewer got to work at the still...stuff happens apparently...or I lost the overview over my food-stuffs (again)...

Ok! Next thing to find out: Forbid certain food-stuff for the food-production!
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.
- - - - - - - -

I find when it comes to water, to always divert a stream or river through the fortress (with some grates of course) so that you'll always have at least something when winter sets in. Of course, I also usually divert everything to an underground pond that is then pumped up (via dwarven power to powerlevel their endurance and strength) through to the rest of the fortress.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

DWMagus wrote:I find when it comes to water, to always divert a stream or river through the fortress (with some grates of course) so that you'll always have at least something when winter sets in. Of course, I also usually divert everything to an underground pond that is then pumped up (via dwarven power to powerlevel their endurance and strength) through to the rest of the fortress.
You probably have a lot better of a computer than I do. :ghost: That's a major framerate killer.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

I tried this game yesterday, and man, it is crazy. :mrgreen:

I like how you interact with the world through commands. (It remains me of the old good days of Snatcher, but with like 300 times more complexity.) Contrary to many people, I don't think I would enjoy mouse control or a streamlined UI. I like how it works now, at least technically. I tried some graphic mods (for the previous version), even 3D stuff, but didn't add anything. I prefer the simple ASCII style. (The fact that this guys are making so much with so little fascinates me, and I have a personal obsession with minimalism, even if this game can't be described as minimalist in anything but the graphics.) So I'm playing the last version without mods of any kind.

It's like a crazy parallel world with rules that look recognizable but in a twisted way, when characters are not characters but small rudimentary creatures with a life of its own, a weird story generator that works inside of your head, a virtual reality universe to inhabit for as much time as you may want. This is food for your imagination.

I watched a video of a guy playing adventure mode who killed a poor fisherman cutting his hand with a sword and following his blood trail next, finding him, exhausted, resting on a tree, and cut his head off and then started extracting his organs and eating them. (He was unable to eat his intestines because it was too full.) Then he took his money and other stuff. Gross. And then this games ends up in the Museum of Modern Art in New York but people talk about GTA violence in TV. How unfair. :lol:

I don't know how much time I will dedicate to this, but it seems like the kind of thing that may give you a lot of fun once you learn how to move around and do stuff. People would have loved this on the eighties or nighties. (For people who don't like ASCII graphics, imagine this with the visuals of Ultima VII. Cool, ah? But I would accept graphics like the ones in the intro video. I like that kind of low resolution pixel art a lot. However, in your head, you can have whatever graphics you want. You can see yourself doing all that stuff, and imagine the dwarves interacting with its environment, having always something to say, feeling everything around them. That level of detail will certainly be hard to beat.)
"Playing" is not simply a pastime, it is the primordial basis of imagination and creation. - Hideo Kojima

Online Now