Return to “Games”

Re: Dwarf Fortress?

Cornflakes_91 wrote:i dont really get for what you want to use my crunchy name? :think:
Just ribbing Talvieno in nerdy DF fashion, Cornflakes. Also placing you amongst the upper crust of LT forums society (hoping you'll take it as a compliment).
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell

Gazz wrote:
Talvieno wrote: Also, I would've included Katawa and Victor Toombs in the forum personalities, but Fresh V doesn't have an avatar, so I guess that doesn't work out.
Maybe we should help out? =)
I've been picturing something more like this:
Spoiler:      SHOW
Image ... or this:
:lol:
- The Snark Knight

"Look upward, and share the wonders I've seen."

I wouldn't count on it. For Tarn, Content > UI. He'll add UI last. Maybe full mouse support if we're lucky, but I doubt it.

Honestly, though, once you get used to the complexity, the UI is actually kind of intuitive for the most part. There are some things like laying walls that could be made a lot better - it's clumsy and stupid right now - or linking mechanisms to things - but the UI isn't as bad as you make it sound.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Yeah, Tarn laughs at his UI in pretty much the same way he does the non-crashy bugs. His attitude is an unapologetic mirth-filled "Whoops.. guess I could have done that better. /shrug"
Yes, he recognizes when things are silly or broken or obtuse, and works to fix them. But on his own timetable and his own terms, and he won't be bullied no-how.
DF fans have acclimated to this, and even love him for it.

There are some bugs I hope he doesn't remove... such as the dropshaft of enlightenment. I love the thought of my dwarf gaining skill from parrying an entire planet, and it makes for a great story element to have an unbreakable dwarf.

I think, oddly enough, what I'm most excited for are the trees. I want to see what I can do with them... Oh, and climbing mechanics, too - they sound fun.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:I think, oddly enough, what I'm most excited for are the trees. I want to see what I can do with them... Oh, and climbing mechanics, too - they sound fun.
Ditto.. evokes happy/vivid memories of childhood play.
It's quite exciting to imagine what sorts of possibilities have opened up for the dwarves and other critters wrt trees.
And their being more complex entities helps to justify the elves' going postal on account of'em.

Toady One wrote: [...]
Zach went out to hunt some night creatures and found a bunch of monsters of twilight
up in a tree... turns out their blood-sensing ability allowed them to detect all the scary
beasts deep underground and they wanted nothing to do with it, so they fled from their
lair (which was not attached in any way to the beasts underground) and treed themselves.
[...]
:lol: :thumbup:

Online Now