Return to “Games”

Re: Dwarf Fortress?

I tried DF a few times and couldn't get past the obscure UI and ASCII display.

I play Gnomoria instead. A lot of people compare it to DF minus the History.

Gnomoria has an isometric display with an art style reminiscent of the old 8bit games.
The interface is easy to learn and use. Just right click on anything...
The game play is close enough to DF but with gnomes. :roll: meaning that you collect resources, build workshops, mine for ore and minerals and build items.
It is an indie game made by a single Dev who has been releasing Weekly patches for the last 12 month or so and only recently switched to Beta status and fortnightly patches.

Worth a look. It even has a free demo for you to try.
Spacial Diffusion of Innovations Algorithm

DF minus the History, you say? Ehh... I can't see myself being half as delighted or impressed with a history-less dwarf fortress (see my sig, for example). I do like gnomes though, alot, and I find it sad
that they're only vermin, basically, in the vanilla DF universe.

I'm really quite thankful that attractive (albeit incomplete) alternatives to the ASCII are now available. That was one of the things that repulsed me from an otherwise epic Boatmurdered, alongside a sometimes viciously withering torrent of profanity.
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell

Ondaderthad wrote:I tried DF a few times and couldn't get past the obscure UI and ASCII display.

I play Gnomoria instead. A lot of people compare it to DF minus the History.
Sorry, going to have to play devil's advocate for a moment...

It's not just minus the history. DF has far more depth and complexity. I will admit the learning curve is incredibly steep, and relearning it is always necessary if you've been away too long. While I like the ability to just jump in and play a game, without all the depth, I just don't find it as 'fun' (and not in the sense that the complexity and learning it IS fun, but because there is always so much to build/do/manage/etc).
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Spoiler:      SHOW
Masterwork DF - DFhack Quickguide wrote:Important: If you Alt+Tab out of the game, for example the access the dfhack console or Dwarf Therapist, Dwarf Fortress thinks that you are still pressing the Alt key. For all intents and purposes it gets stuck. This means all keypresses will be interpreted as Alt+Something, for example Ctrl+C would be Ctrl+Alt+C. To fix this simply press the Alt key once, it will get un-stuck.
Holy carp! :shock:
Sometimes reading a manual pays off with large unexpected dividends. :geek:

Baile nam Fonn wrote:
Masterwork DF - DFhack Quickguide wrote:Important: If you Alt+Tab out of the game, for example the access the dfhack console or Dwarf Therapist, Dwarf Fortress thinks that you are still pressing the Alt key. For all intents and purposes it gets stuck. This means all keypresses will be interpreted as Alt+Something, for example Ctrl+C would be Ctrl+Alt+C. To fix this simply press the Alt key once, it will get un-stuck.
Holy carp! :shock:
Sometimes reading a manual pays off with large unexpected dividends. :geek:
And this is why I try to pause whenever I alt-tab.

...well that and one time I ended up being alt-tabbed and didn't realize the game was still going. When I got back to it, I wasn't surprised to see everyone dead.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

So I've not managed to lose a fortress yet, after days of play time. I must be doing something wrong.

On the other hand, I've got a good record for swift and grisly demise in adventure mode.
My first death only took a minute or so: find horse, poke horse for fun, wham! head kicked in. :D

Presently, in a poorly planned foray into the Masterwork mod, I've just lost half of my population (~50 dwarves) to an orc invasion..
They gave me plenty of notice, but I blithely continued to gather shrubbery and goblin armour while naively trusting my hodgepodge of cheaply gotten pets (golems, enchanted weaponry) to serve as an adequate defence. Ironically, I had just gotten started on my big catacombs project when the massacre erupted. The orc's behaviour was puzzling.. they had perfect opportunity to raze my fort top to bottom (no main gate, no military, no traps :oops: ), but were content to wipe out my little goat herd and all the above-ground "low hanging fruit" and then whirled off back to their beachhead to uh, party and beat their chests, I guess. One of them did sustain an injury, being bested by an unarmoured miner who freaked out, ran, got caught, chopped off his pursuer's left foot with his pick, and then got away unscathed :clap:.

Better not to question my good fortune, I philosophize. Sealed most of the rather cheerful survivors inside with a hastily installed bridge and turned a deaf ear to the idiots who still saw fit to wander around topside even after I'd forbidden and un-designated everything (they died of thirst and exposure, but I'm getting used to tragedy). So now, secure in my food, water, and booze supply --thank Armok two legendary priests survived, and I did have sense enough to get a trade license-- I scheme and prepare as the orc siege gathers to itself more warriors. Oh yes. Blood for the blood god!
Wait, what was this embark about again? A yellow brick road. Hmm, ya. Maybe I'll work on that some, too. :roll: :squirrel:

So far the funnyest thing to happen to me in adventure mode was:
I was in a big town trying to find some store and new recruits,
the one of the npc's decides to block the door and not let me out,
I go to sleep a few times hoping he will move, eventialy he does
just as I run out of food, Now starving I bolt for the door...
oly to be blocked by a stray cat.... (Sigh) Ok enough of this,
No one is looking, I take a swing at the cat hoping it will just run away,

Suddenly everyone from 3 houses, (like 20 villagers) all swarm out
of their houses and beat me and my men to a pulp in a giant
wall of red text... :wtf:

I think my character was actualy done in by one of the cat
loving livestock that was recently grazing peaceably nearby.
Last edited by N810 on Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
- Arthur C. Clarke

protip: you can go to prone position (default keybind 's') and squirm underneath if someone is blocking your path. :lol:

I had the same kind of thing though: slowly starving, so I figure "Ya, I can handle this rabbit" and try to kill it for food.
Turns out I wasn't quite ready for rabbits yet. :problem:
First, her mate sensibly hopped into the fray and began dishing out bruises and scratches ..and then a countryside-worth of grazers (including some big mean Yaks) descended on me. The end.

Anyone with a fondness for dev logs and any interest at all in the status of current DF development should set aside a few minutes to peruse the feed @ http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/.

Wandered over there on a whim today and was pleasantly surprised to find a substantial wall of text regarding this month's work.
Toady, not unlike Josh, wields a strange and powerful charm whilst discussing his passion. :)

Here's a snippet I particularly enjoyed:
Toady One wrote:It's fun to imagine your little dwarfy critters off on their own with even less control over their shenanigans, and what sort of trouble they could bring back to your doorstep, he he he.
The whole world will be a sock outside during a siege.
:lol:

Aww.. triple posting. :( c'mon, fellow DF folkses! Help a body out!

Yesterday's dev log, I found good for a chuckle:
Toady One wrote:Apparently rodents of some kind nested in and then ate the insides of my brother's car and it started billowing fumes as we were driving down the road yesterday, which was interesting.
The rodent theory was given to us by the tow truck guy, anyway. There are competing theories. In any case, that has been sorted out.
A troublesome crash bug that has been around since the first invasions has also been squished. [...]
Oh, and from the previous log:
Toady One wrote:[...]
Most of yesterday I spent trying to be robbed by bandits, but they kept looking away from me and forgetting I was there [...]

C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER
anyways Bay 12's motto is Beyond Quality, and that is right, I have been playing one of their other games called Liberal Crime Squad, which is a game released in 2004 and picked up by 20 or so modders, FUNNIEST GAME EVER OMG I AM DEAD IT'S SO FUNNY :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

~Sly
IVE BEEN OUT OF MY MIND A LONG TIME

Toady One wrote:[...] In terms of these finalizations I've been doing, there are six left. [...] Then we'll have a steaming pile of game that needs to be debugged and otherwise made playable.
Sounds like this release will be upon us soon! :D :squirrel:

Baile nam Fonn wrote:
Toady One wrote:[...] In terms of these finalizations I've been doing, there are six left. [...] Then we'll have a steaming pile of game that needs to be debugged and otherwise made playable.
Sounds like this release will be upon us soon! :D :squirrel:
This makes me extremely happy :thumbup:

~Sly
IVE BEEN OUT OF MY MIND A LONG TIME

So I picked up dwarf fortress again recently, played it for a while then stopped (which is usually the way these things work) and so now I have tales of ludicrous shenanigans which I guess I should share, because why not.

I settled in an evil biome. Specifically I settled in 'The Stupid Bog', a terrifying saltwater marsh, because clearly that's the best place for a new colony. I could tell you about the necromancer invasions I got from the nearby tower, but I won't because they turned out to be disappointingly boring if you have a good defense set up. They were only notable because they necessitated building literally hundreds of tombs. Turns out most of the zombies were dwarf corpses, and so my dwarves insisted on burying every single zombie bit (right down to severed fingers) in its own tomb. I ended up encrusting pretty much every wall in the entire place with tombs, because that seems fitting.

No, what I want to relate is the tale of the invincible rage-torso. Yes, those are the words you just read. Turns out evil biomes can have evil weather. In my case, clouds of infernal soot occasionally drifted past, which turned living creatures who inhale it into undead thralls. The thralls aren't quite undead - they don't bleed or suffer much from injury, and all that stuff, but unlike undead they still have minds, and can still learn. Remember that, it'll come up later.

One day an evil cloud drifts by. I sound the alarm, but some moron gets stuck outside anyway. Him and a goat get caught in the cloud, instantly turning into undead horrors. I leave the fort shut up, hoping they'll go away or something. Passing wildlife that turned into undead horrors still migrated away, I had noticed, so maybe these guys would too. I go do some other stuff.

Later I scroll back up to the surface, and notice that the dwarf and the goat are not only still there, but are dancing wildly around the map, seemingly joined at the hip. Checking the logs, I note that they are in fact engaged in combat. They have been unceasingly wailing on each other for several months straight. I still don't know why they decided to fight. They haven't done any real damage to each other, because they are both unarmed and don't care much about paltry things like blunt trauma. I finally admit that this problem might not be going away by itself.

I sound the alarm, call up the military. My military was looking pretty sharp at that point, steel armor and axes, the whole shebang. I muster a squad of 10, and send them out. They hack the goat into pieces in pretty short order, then turn on the dwarf thrall. All 10 gang up on him, and begin the chopping. It goes on. And on. I start to get concerned when some of the squad start bleeding. I check the combat logs, and the thrall's status, and find that my dwarves have methodically chopped off almost every part of the thrall, one by one. It was very hard, because the thrall is, I note, legendary in every non-weapon combat skill, because he apparently learnt quite a lot from beating up an invulnerable goat for the better part of a year. His attributes are all maxed, too. He's a very strong torso.

I figure the thrall, despite being the greatest combat master the world has ever seen, is probably not going to put up much of a fight now on account of having no limbs. I was, of course, wrong. The fight goes on for several weeks. About half the squad get bitten to death by the rage-torso before someone eventually lodges an axe in his skull. Presumably they got tired; the thrall, of course, not having to worry about that.

I was going to end this with a 'so the moral of the story is...' but honestly I can think of any moral. Dwarf fortress's personal motto is 'I don't need a reason'.

Online Now