Return to “Games”

Re: Dwarf Fortress?

[CREATURE_TILE:'S'] (creature)
[TILE:15] (stone)

Those lines, one per creature, one per gem, rock, wall, etc., are what define the appearance of different things. Letters and symbols (in single quotes) are representative of a number, which represents a certain ASCII graphics tile in a tileset.

Some things, like creatures, can have their tile changed with an XML file. Others, like rocks, may need to have their tile changed separately.

The REASON for changing the letters is that some of your "cubes" have the same letter on them. For instance, a cat and a chicken may both use the letter "c".
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Do you know of any mod that allows me to build an artillery piece with a 360 degree firing arc? :ghost: :angel:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

Whoa whoa whoa! :shock:
I missed 40.20 & 40.21 from the last couple days. Shame on me! :oops:

Job Prioritization! The Dwarf Therapist people (is it plural?) must be scrambling right now. Just when PeridexisErrant was finally getting his Starter Pack on to an even keel.. :lol:
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell

Because I know you guys love juicy dev logs, here's one from Tarn:
Toady One wrote:The new entertainment stuff is coming into focus... been reading a lot to try and make a good first attempt, though categorization is difficult in many cases. As usual, everything that follows is subject to change. There'll be seven new generic skills governing the new stuff (dancing as well as music which sits over singing and 4 instrument skills), and the poetry skill that has been sitting in the code will also come to use. We're using "poet", "bard" and "dancer" as professional names for the moment. I'd prefer to generate those roles, but I won't have the framework for it until later, so the relevant visitors'll be more or less like the world gen hero roles for now.

Poetic, musical and dance forms will be generated by culture. There will be both knowledge and skill-based components to this -- so you can't compose a poem of a variety you aren't familiar with, no matter how good you are, but once you learn the rules, the quality will depend on your skills/atts. It'll start with the poet's general skill, and they'll also develop specific skill with the form, in a way that's probably most analogous to what we were planning with combat styles. I didn't expect this to come before those, but it did. The quality of the outcome should depend on broader cultural familiarity or varying qualities/depths of knowledge, but I'm not going to get into any of that yet: just a knowledge check box to get started and then a few related skills.

I've come up with a list of stats for instruments for the raws and for the generator... we're not going to go deep into the nightmare of equal vs. just temperament and multiple materials and so on, but there might be hints of that. There'll be skill-like stats for specific instruments as well, so you might be a wind instrumentalist, but that'll only help so much if you pick up a new instrument type in that family.
Barding it up, as only Bay 12 can. :D

edit: Also, PeridexisErrant is caught up now with the Starter Pack. :thumbup:

Big day for DF-- first peek at generated poetic forms (as I understand it, plausibly drawing from generated historical context)! :clap:
Toady One wrote:Here are some of the [poetic] forms generated for a single large world: right here. They can be repetitive, but there's also a lot in the game that didn't appear on that page, so it should be okay overall. There are several problems to work out (sometimes it demanded some specific hundreds of thousands of stanzas). I need to name them. Then we'll be on to the next stuff!
Samples from the link:
A ribald poetic form intended to praise a lover, originating in The Laborious Sun. The poem is a single couplet. Use of assonance, consonance and vivid imagery is characteristic of the form. The second line of the couplet uses the same placement of allusions as the first line. The second line of the couplet presents a different view of the subject of the first line. The first line has six syllables. The second line has nine syllables.
A poetic riddle intended to complain about a chosen subject, originating in The Seducer of Webs. The poem is divided into two distinct parts: five ten-line stanzas and seven to nine quatrains. Use of metaphor and vivid imagery is characteristic of the form.
The first part concerns the past. The tenth line of each stanza uses the same placement of allusions as the first line. It has lines with three feet with an accent pattern of stressed-unstressed-stressed (qualitative cretic trimeter). The ending of each line of this part rhymes with each other.
The second part concerns current events. Certain lines use the same placement of allusions. It has lines with three feet with an accent pattern of stressed-unstressed (qualitative trochaic trimeter). The ending of each line of this part rhymes with each other.

and now [WIP]musical forms as well... dat detail! :shock:

This just in from Bay 12:
There are poets, bards and dancers running around in world gen now, all potential fort visitors. Next up they'll be producing little books, forming teacher-student links, and there'll be world gen festivals and competitions when appropriate for the entity. Perhaps a bit more, but I'll try to move on to fort mode promptly without getting mired down in world generation antics.
More spice and flavour in the Legends? Yes, thankyou! :) :squirrel:

So you knew you were getting libraries, right? [...]
Spoiler:      SHOW
[...] I mean, there are all these books being carried around by traveling artists with no easy way to read them, and we can't have that. Also, it was a little odd to imagine a library packed with art books and the occasional rambling necromantic tract -- we're in the process of solving that problem in the usual way: I just got through with engineering and chemistry, such as they are. The outlines are ready for mathematicians, philosophers, historians, geographers, doctors, naturalists, and astronomers. I'm using the same master-student framework for them as they work on research projects, and they'll also consult existing books at their home libraries, of course -- a good thing, since the early tests without books led to the expected and repeated tragic loss of knowledge and the constant rediscovery of previously known facts without much progress toward advanced techniques. It has been entertaining building up the different knowledge branches, interacting with our year 1400 cut-off, and no doubt screwing up various simple ideas and so forth.

As it stands, the state of your civilization's collected knowledge does not impact what buildings, jobs, etc. you can use in your fort -- that's a tricky issue I don't want to get sucked into at this point. Figuring that out for a later release is certainly on the table. It's an interesting problem -- smaller worlds with fewer scholars don't advance as fast, and the future myth generation stuff will doubtless shake up the progression. We're not worrying about any of that now! All we want are wholesome libraries.

Dwarves practice all forms of scholarship (while still preferring craftsdwarfship to books), elves do elfy stuff, and humans are variable (human values are randomized for each instance of civilization now, and there's a raw tag that sets scholar types based on the particular civ's values and jobs).

This shouldn't be too lengthy a side-track, given that we aren't tackling any of the difficult questions where game and knowledge intersect. Festivals soon! Then we can move to fortress mode. Though the focus with your dwarves this time is on taverns and leisure, there is a possibility of a fort library being a minor topic (as temples are currently).
Marvellous, Toady. I must grin like a little boy at this one. :D

Online Now