Return to “Games”

Re: Dwarf Fortress?

JoshParnell wrote:Oh and how is the storybricks link a shameless plug? Are you involved in it somehow? ;)
I was the Community Manager for Storybricks back when we had our own community -- when we were trying to get our own independent game Kickstartered.

I'm still with them, though in a much reduced capacity as we work with SOE on their projects; they've got their own very experienced community management team.

There might be some things we can talk about later, though. ;)

Last week, I played a bit again, and it was fun, then I talked to my TES/DF friend about DF and I slowly began playing more this weekend, today, ALL I DID WAS PLAY DF, I died 5 times, of the same reason, the water supply froze over and people became dehydrated, well, I plan on making that not a problem, and will speak to my DF/TES friend again and think of stuff I need to ask him, he is truly an expert! but for now I wait :evil:

~Sly
My entire day, THANKS JOSH, but really thanks, it is ALOT of fun! :D
IVE BEEN OUT OF MY MIND A LONG TIME

Sly, best place I can advise for you is to either dig down deep enough to hit the water table, or find an area that is more 'temperate' in temperature. You can also 'channel' through the ice to the water. Since the water only freezes on top, what I end up doing is try to make a few floodgates as soon as I can (rock and wood ones work fine), then dig a tunnel that branches the river near the head and reconnects near the end. Because it's underground (but only one tile underground), it won't freeze over and depending on how you architect it, you can make the stream turn into a subterranean mountain stream with water wheels providing power. Of course, make sure you get some floodgates and levers in place first so that you can turn water off to certain parts if you need to perform maintenance.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Garr, that wicked arm-OK has gotten hisself another slave.

The my-asthma must flow!

I guess it should be noted --by way of frowning at the fire-breathing critics-- that the game is still plugging along in a hyper-extended alpha state, with the wee dev team methodically pursuing a feature-complete release but Wikipedia quoting Tarn Adams as projecting version 1.0's release in oh.. at least twenty years :shock: (a detailed but somewhat dated mindmap is public domain on the wiki). Of course the current interface is a piece of crap placeholder that should and will inevitably be hurled headlong into the magma sea. Ironhand & Wormslayer's graphics (tileset) update do much to alleviate the additional impenetrability added to DF's complexity by the horrifyingly-abstracted (to an eye-candy lover like myself) ASCII art. Note the ironic superfluity of that last sentence. I don't hold with Stonesense-- not having used it, but the screenshots really turned me off. Ugly and insulting to dwarfdom imo.

Speaking of eye-candy, I'm dreaming of a mythical and improbable third party visualization tool:
Spoiler:      SHOW
more in tune with the spirit of the game than the current offerings.. How To Train your Dragon-ish artistic interpretation of exports with lovely lighting options and a powerfully mobile&dramatic camera for exploring your map in it's frozen moment of !!fun!!
BONUS: World map provides ample info for accurate presentation of distant landscapes/seascapes
DOUBLE BONUS: integrating all relevant mad-cap (and often shockingly gruesome) flavour text into the render, including engravings and oddly adult-featured dwarf babies. Content filtering would be a must here (see below).

Is there a way to convincingly/comically portray a dwarf grabbing a kobold "by the lower left back teeth with her right upper arm"? Maybe there is.. :think:
Today's highlights of fun/glee:
attempting to penetrate the water table in an ill-conceived and poorly executed wintertime ice-mining zerg rush. 3 x :ghost: were the results along with a good jump-off point for next winter's attempt after a valiant/desperate rescue operation failed to snatch the last drowning dwarf from the jaws of the aquifer. Yes, I have read up on another, more smartass/practical method of breaching the aquifer barrier, but couldn't reconcile it with my own style of tackling fun stuff.
In other news, a dwarf was so utterly broken in spirit after being robbed of his moment of glory (he aspired to add a 4th artifact to the fortress collection) by my irrational refusal to trade for much-needed stone from the caravan, that he ended his life (after some aimless moping) by dying of thirst, an oddly glum and deeply tragic figure in the midst of a roaring dwarven party in the Great Hall. He had either refused or lost interest in all food and drink (Outpost Inchhammers boasts a large and varied stock of spirits, lavish meals) after his, or rather my failure. :cry:
discovering that I could force my dwarves to fight in the nude (or even go about their civilian chores so scandalously exposed) using the squad's uniform dress-code. Really, I think that even in a fledgling state, the military management tools are quite robust.
Oh yes, the psychological repercussions upon these unfortunate victims of my maniacal mandate were fairly severe. :twisted:

I discovered this while desiring to inflict further humiliation upon a vampire whom I discovered *after* he had done his nasty bloodsucking thing in my fort! Force-marched him out into the wild and had him watch as my carpenter unhurriedly build a crude wooden pen (with no door) encircling his "guard station" to contain his evil. He was shortly after this elected mayor, to throw tantrums and mandate stuff from his "high and lofty" stockade of shame. Known here under the humble alias Endok Relictowns, his real name is a mouthful: Dirlu Dasmirevhole Ebelurit Zulshag, 394 years old. His skills are pretty crap considering. :lol:
spoiler dropdowns added to combat wall of textness.. got the idea from bay 12 forums
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell

Baile nam Fonn wrote:Ok, I think SoundSense deserves honourable mention at least in a relevant Hall of Fame. Are there other games that can boast this type/classiness/quality of augment-ware?
I did not know this existed. This is kind of cool.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

After several tries (like 6) i finaly got a version of DF to download,
I tried out adventure mode about a dozen times, with some limited sucess,
I was hoping it wiuld ease me into to obsure controls.
Well It helped a little, last night I tried fortress mode...
and got completely nowhere, I couldn't get anyone to do anything.
oh well... better check out a some more tuturials....

Oh and in the proces of looking for all things DF I happened
across the most hilllariously dementely morbid DF blog ever.
(Seriously I haven't laughed this hard in YEARS)

I present to you Glazed Coast! :wtf: :lol: :clap:
http://brokenforum.com/index.php?thread ... -dry.1003/
(don't read this at work, you may laugh loud enought to get fired) :shock:
Glazedcoast! The national colour is vomit, the national bird is dead, and our national anthem is curling up in your bed and sobbing quietly until you fall asleep.

The refuse pile has been full for a while, so I tripled it in size and now the dwarves are dutifully filling it up with bones and corpses. We have over nine hundred body parts floating around, including enough puppy material to build some kind of giant bone golem made out of adorable little skeletons
Glazedcoast! It may be a fascist slave-state, but the food is amazing. Cakes and pies and roast - hey, someone took the ingredient labels off all of these. ... is that stew staring at me mournfully?

I was about to reassure Sjofn that we actually hadn't had any puppies born lately and it was likely the breeding pair of dogs were getting too old, but then:
Glazedcoast! A glorious society built upon the bones and bodies of puppies, children, evil monster children, helpless vampires, insane tyrants, and innocent woodcarvers. All are but fuel for the relentless engine of its economy, so that it can produce the greatest bone-decorated socks in the entirety of the North. They all died for nothing, is what I'm trying to say.

Ps. note to self read this thouroughly later. http://dftutorial.wordpress.com/ :squirrel:
"A sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
- Arthur C. Clarke

:lol: can't stop laughing! Thanks for the story link, N810.

One of my favourite action sequences so far, starring Sinthad Merchant-Assualts the Mouth of Right vs. Furgig the Forgotten Beast:
this dwarf is fearless even by dwarf standards- Sinthad isn't about to lose to a walking steam explosion, however, and charges in. The first burst shatters her arm, forcing her to drop her axe - she keeps going. The second burst shatters her other arm, and she drops her shield. She makes it to Furgig and kicks him in the chest and bites off a chunk of his body before the third blast flings her back, shattering her legs. I don't think Sinthad is going to get out of this one alive, but what a way to go.

LP reader's comment- Sinthad is a goddamn legend.

BleakTea- She's not even really all that good with an axe, she just apparently lives by a simple code, and that code is: "What would a Terminator do?"

BleakTea- I looked up Sinthad's description - she is like some walking stereotype dwarven warrior, right down to the blonde double braids. She was one of Adil's first students, and it seems he taught her well. Also, she's nineteen - so she killed her first ogre when she was fourteen. An axemurderer child prodigy.
She dies..According to Sinthad's tombstone, she "succumbed to infection", which means she survived several horrible monsters only to die because we don't have any soap. Or Furgig's poison was the infection. Lesson: make soap.

Bleaktea wrote:But this being Dwarf Fortress, the prophecy missed and didn't get fulfilled until two years after it's too late for the human army. Wickedtick [the badass horse-demon, being compared in the thread to Nazgûl] is just wandering along one sunny afternoon and a woman comes out of nowhere, screaming "I AM NO MAN!". And he's all "wait, what?" and then explodes.
Oh, ow! My false ribs! It's too much, make it stop!

Online Now