Return to “Games”

Oolite (Not the egg stone variety)

Commander McLane wrote:Talking about awesome ships from bygone TV shows as easter eggs in a space games.

You should play Oolite. :D (OpenSource + full modability + a very active community = the sky is the limit :thumbup: )
Believe me Commander McLane it is not for the want of trying. I got hooked on the idea of giving Oolite a go after reading Drew Wagar's books based on the Oolite universe but up until now I still haven't got around to playing it. :( All I can say is it's on my hard drive and it's on my very long "must play" list. :)

Of course with Fireball XL5 as an added attraction along with the Blake's 7 Liberator it will definitely move up several places on that list. ;) :thumbup:

(Split from Easter Eggs here - DW)
Re: Easter eggs

TanC wrote:Oolite. Darn game got me hooked for a while
It's got a lot of people hooked, which is of course the reason why such an active community exists, and new and amazing things are developed constantly. Me, too. ;)

Even Limit Theory won't get me off that hook, by the way. Limit Theory is certainly to outshine Oolite as far as graphics is concerned—by one or more orders of magnitude even. But as far as immersion goes, Oolite is hard to beat—for me at least. And the power that it gives you to mod anything and everything creates a whole new level of addictedness. :)
TanC wrote:but I still keep dying.
Sorry to hear that. What's the reason? I'm sure the community could give some advice.
TanC wrote:Love the moddability of the game though. I've seen you've done a few too, Commander McLane? ;)
I can't deny it. 8-)

Slymodi wrote:Oolite, what do I do, I can go around and shoot stuff, but nothing happens,
Well, Oolite is a remake of Elite, and Elite is famous for being a wide-open-sandbox game, it is in fact the wide-open-sandbox game, the grandmother of all wide-open-sandbox games. It's therefore the grandmother of Limit Theory, too. ;) Thus, the pitch is exactly the same as for Limit Theory: you can do whatever you want, you can be whoever you want. Elite/Oolite being a space game, even the career paths are pretty much the same: trader, bounty hunter, miner, pirate, … You can become rich, or powerful, or both. There are even some missions which will get in your way—some built in, and some via mods, or Oolite eXpansion Packs (in short: OXPs). But they're not at the center of the game. There's no campaign, no storyline—except the story that goes on inside your head—and no winning condition. (Just like it's going to be in Limit Theory.)

Or you simply enjoy the world that is living and breathing around you. All NPCs are going about their business, just as you go about yours. You can interfere with them, or you can just watch them interfere with each other. Oolite—and this is a deviation from and an improvement over Elite—is distinctly not player-centered. NPCs continuously interact with each other, and it's your decision whether you want to join the action or not.
Slymodi wrote:is this a project where anyone can go in?
Yes. Check with the genuinely friendly and immensely helpful community. We take pride in being The Friendliest Boards This Side Of Riedquat™ (an in-joke, Riedquat being a planet on the very edge of the galactic map). Many have gone from simply playing the game as-is to adjusting the game to their personal liking by installing some (or many) of the 500+ OXPs, to writing OXPs themselves (the scripting language is JavaScript, with some Property Lists thrown in for good measure, written in XML or OpenStep), and some have moved on to joining the development team (the game itself is written in ObjectiveC; the name is derived from Object Oriented Elite). After the original developer burned out, a member of the community took his place, and currently we have the third lead developer, and a bunch of other developers (who coordinate their work, obviously). There is no end of development in sight, with improvements continuously made, and new program versions being released every couple of months.

On top of all that, it's a really good online community to be in. :D

At the risk of derailing the thread further...maybe split out Oolite to its own thread?
Commander McLane wrote:Sorry to hear that. What's the reason? I'm sure the community could give some advice.

I can't deny it. 8-)
Nah, I'm just finding that the NPCs are shooting at me better than I am at them. Time to whip out the joystick! :D

That's a ton of OXPs you've done! I've installed a few that alters the textures and HUD but nothing game-changing though. Currently just running a trade route between Zaalela and Ensoreus to get some credits in me pocket before venturing elsewhere. I'm thinking of upgrading to a combat ship but I have no idea what classifies as a combat ship in Oolite or where to get it. :think:
In Josh we trust.

<@ moderator: please feel free to split, before this thread gets totally taken over by a different space game, and apologies for the continuing off-topic discussion>
TanC wrote:I'm thinking of upgrading to a combat ship but I have no idea what classifies as a combat ship in Oolite or where to get it. :think:
In fact, your starting Cobra Mk III is already a pretty good combat ship. It's the best all-round ship in the in-built set, and it has to be, because in Elite you couldn't switch ships. A fully kitted-out Cobra (what we refer to as an "iron-ass") can hold its own against pretty much everything the unexpanded game could throw at you. There are "better" ships (in terms of combat quality) available in OXPs, but the Cobra is in fact so good already that any really noticeable improvement tends to begin to verge into "über"-territory. On the other hand, it's a single player game, so you're not cheating anybody (except perhaps yourself) if you go with a beast like this one or this one. They're expensive, though. Myself I'm flying one of these mean machines.
Re: Oolite (Not the egg stone variety)

DWMagus wrote:Would've split sooner, but I was being lazy.

Victor, if you edit your first post, you should be able to rename the topic if you want.
It really isn't fair starting this thread with my contribution as it is Commander McLane's obsession. Is there any way you can give him the credit for starting it? If it means losing my post I don't mind.

All three of you are a gentlemen and a scholar. Thanks for splitting the thread. :)
Commander McLane wrote:In fact, your starting Cobra Mk III is already a pretty good combat ship. It's the best all-round ship in the in-built set, and it has to be, because in Elite you couldn't switch ships. A fully kitted-out Cobra (what we refer to as an "iron-ass") can hold its own against pretty much everything the unexpanded game could throw at you. There are "better" ships (in terms of combat quality) available in OXPs, but the Cobra is in fact so good already that any really noticeable improvement tends to begin to verge into "über"-territory. On the other hand, it's a single player game, so you're not cheating anybody (except perhaps yourself) if you go with a beast like this one or this one. They're expensive, though. Myself I'm flying one of these mean machines.
Currently I'm looking to explore the base game before venturing further. I may have a few more gun upgrades to go through so my salvation may be in one of them. :)

Back to plying the trade routes for a while, I guess. The docking computer and the witchdrive fuel injectors helps a ton to pass the time.
In Josh we trust.

TanC wrote:The docking computer and the witchdrive fuel injectors helps a ton to pass the time.
The fuel injector is even more valuable in combat, because there will always be times when your best option is to run away fast. For this reason many players get into the habit of making only short-to-medium jumps, in order to have enough injector fuel left for the long way to the station.

Apart from the offensive equipment (military lasers particularly, which give you an important edge over all core ships, because they don't only pack more punch, but—even more importantly—have a much longer range than the other lasers), the biggest difference is made by energy units (particularly the naval variant, which can't be bought, but has to be earned through a mission; although you can find ships that have it pre-installed) and the two shield enhancements, which not only increase your shield strength, but (the military one) also their recharge rate. They're expensive, though (the military shield enhancement costs roughly 1/3 of your ship's list price).

Thus your conclusion is correct:
Back to plying the trade routes for a while
:thumbup:

Online Now