Return to “Games”

Re: Oolite

Pretty! Mod or New build?
Not a mod, but it'll be a while before it's included in the core game - optimisations are needed.
Fuel injectors are similar to afterburners - if you have enough fuel, you can outrun most ships.
The space compass - which points to the planet - switches to the station when close enough.

There is a tutorial available from the start menu, which may be useful.
Oolite Naval Attaché

Cody wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:39 am
Pretty! Mod or New build?
Not a mod, but it'll be a while before it's included in the core game - optimisations are needed.
Fuel injectors are similar to afterburners - if you have enough fuel, you can outrun most ships.
The space compass - which points to the planet - switches to the station when close enough.

There is a tutorial available from the start menu, which may be useful.
I bought the ASC (Advanced Space Compass) equipment and now I can point to the Station, straight from the witchspace buoy. Fantastic.
And I begin to understand the "thinking" behind this game.

As for the Injectors, they are of limited usefulness right now.
You see, emerging from witchspace I have little fuel remaining for boosting and, in case of attack, I have to hope that my aggressors do not have injectors as well.
I also bought the Fuel Scoop, but going for the star is equally useless if I get intercepted by aggressors *while* I still have little fuel.
So, to compensate I will mount extra fuel tanks (think I saw an expansion pack for that: one f.tank in place of one missile slot. Fair trade).

I also upgraded my Pulse Laser to a Beam Laser. That made quite a difference in terms of firepower. I killed 2 aggressors quickly with it! ^_^
And then I was obliterated by a pack of 3... -_-" -baah!
So now I want better shields, but... boy, do they cost an arm and a leg!

-fox

Fuel scoops also enable you to scoop cargo pods or escape pods, both of which are free money.
Whenever possible, short jumps are preferable to long jumps, especially if you're on a deadline.
If you have some spare fuel, injectors can be used aggressively - get in close, hit hard.

Keep an eye out for rock hermits, they have fuel available and a limited market.
Oolite Naval Attaché

Hey, I finally bought that Shield upgrade worth 14500 Cr, and now I mount 2 lasers: Military Laser (6000 Cr) on the front and Beam Laser (1000 Cr) on the back.
Barely the time to complete a good trade-run that I get attacked by a group of 3. Despite all ganging on me from the back, I managed to kill 2 with little effort. But the third got away yelling something funny, like "We have drawn too much attention!! Retreat!".
Or something close to that. All the attention they got was just me :wtf: -- Nothing else on scanner.

Although I survived a 1-vs-3 battle, stowed lotta hits (losing only 2 tons of cargo), and took no damage to any subsystem, I still feel that my ship is underpowered.
While I acknowledge the improvement over the starting situation, I have to wonder what more can be done to make this ship better...

Oh, and I bought a vanilla equipment named "Extra Energy Bank" (cannot recall the exact name now). Why, then, do I still see only 4 banks on my Cobra Mk III?

And at some point I was offered to buy a Trumble. Some "pet"?
I wanted to investigate on the internet but I accidentally refused the offer. Will it repeat?

I must say it, I begin to like this game.
(but the sound department continues to suck :silent: Totally the weakest point)

Hi, I am the Windows port maintainer of Oolite and noticed this thread and fox's questions about the game. Glad you start to like it fox; Oolite is like that, you need to dedicate some time to it before you start discovering its secrets and it gets better the more you discover.

To answer your questions, once you have equipped your ship with all offensive and defensive equipment, there is not really much you can do to make it better, although you can aim for a more powerful ship (there is one ship which is more powerful than the Cobra in the core game). What you can do is become better at combat, though. This link will give you some hints. Unless you install OXP ships, you will not get a ship that beats them all every time in Oolite. If you encounter four or more ships, you may have to consider running. If you do decide to remain and do combat, remember one advice: Keep moving, continuously. Flying in a straight line for a long time in order to land that last shot on an opponent will very likely give someone else a chance to hit you. Combat in Oolite is a different state of mind compared to other space games. When hit, you need to react immediately. You can even try to use your environment to your advantage. For example, did you know that your opponents get blinded by the sun just like you do? IF you fly with the sun straight ahead of you, enemies coming behind you will have a harder time hitting you, because their accuracy is affected by sun glare. And yes, even with an uber OXP ship, there still will be occasions where a battle can be lost and you may have to consider running no matter what. In Oolite, no one is bullet proof.

Cody has already covered well the rest of your questions I think, I would just say that installing BGS improves the sound effects considerably and I fully agree with the Orchestral Demo proposal, which offers in-game music that adjusts to the situation you find yourself in.

Regarding the ship that run away shouting about attention, I think this must have been OXP. I have not been able to locate any similar message in the game files.

Finally, I have seen you were asking about screenshots showing the game at its prettiest. In addition to Cody's suggestions, I would recommend having a look at the Screenshots thread in the forum. Have a look at the last ten pages or so for the most recent stuff (note, some were shot using the Reshade post processing fx injector application) .

Hope this helps.

another_commander wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:09 am
Hi, I am the Windows port maintainer of Oolite and noticed this thread and fox's questions about the game. Glad you start to like it fox; Oolite is like that, you need to dedicate some time to it before you start discovering its secrets and it gets better the more you discover.

To answer your questions, once you have equipped your ship with all offensive and defensive equipment, there is not really much you can do to make it better, although you can aim for a more powerful ship (there is one ship which is more powerful than the Cobra in the core game). What you can do is become better at combat, though. This link will give you some hints. Unless you install OXP ships, you will not get a ship that beats them all every time in Oolite. If you encounter four or more ships, you may have to consider running. If you do decide to remain and do combat, remember one advice: Keep moving, continuously. Flying in a straight line for a long time in order to land that last shot on an opponent will very likely give someone else a chance to hit you. Combat in Oolite is a different state of mind compared to other space games. When hit, you need to react immediately. You can even try to use your environment to your advantage. For example, did you know that your opponents get blinded by the sun just like you do? IF you fly with the sun straight ahead of you, enemies coming behind you will have a harder time hitting you, because their accuracy is affected by sun glare. And yes, even with an uber OXP ship, there still will be occasions where a battle can be lost and you may have to consider running no matter what. In Oolite, no one is bullet proof.

Cody has already covered well the rest of your questions I think, I would just say that installing BGS improves the sound effects considerably and I fully agree with the Orchestral Demo proposal, which offers in-game music that adjusts to the situation you find yourself in.

Regarding the ship that run away shouting about attention, I think this must have been OXP. I have not been able to locate any similar message in the game files.

Finally, I have seen you were asking about screenshots showing the game at its prettiest. In addition to Cody's suggestions, I would recommend having a look at the Screenshots thread in the forum. Have a look at the last ten pages or so for the most recent stuff (note, some were shot using the Reshade post processing fx injector application) .

Hope this helps.
Hello and thank you for the tips and links,

yes, I have installed a number of OXP. Those radio messages surely are from one of them.
No OXP ships, though. I imagined that some would be OP and -lacking the experience to understand the details- I choose to stick to vanilla.
Good to know that something vanilla & better than a Cobra Mk III exists, though. I will find it!

I need to practice with combat. To tell the truth, I did suspect that sun glare could affect the aim of NPCs. Was not sure, though. I tend to stay away from combat (because keyboard). Perhaps with a Controller I will be more effective (if I get time to tinker with the config).

I continue to learn new things. For example I discovered that I can hitch a ride to my target system if I fly into a wormhole left open by a ship that recently jumped to it.
Now, before undocking, I check the list of docked ships (courtesy of another OXP, I believe). If any is heading to my target system, I request to schedule my departure after said ship. Jumping this way also leaves my Fuel reserves intact, and later I can boost aggressively out of trouble and mass-lock.
Ah, but a couple times I used he wrong hole because multiple ships jumped and I could not tell which hole pointed where. Embarassing :oops: -- So I bought a wormhole scanner.

I am also searching for a way to travel from the W-buoy to the N-buoy in a single hyperdrive session.
Perhaps I found one with which the chances of meeting ships are low.
The trick is to not fly on a straight line. So I draw a curve. Actually a big spiral. It starts from wherever you are -> it ends at the N-buoy. Nice.
(sadly my english has limits. I do not know the best words to describe this with precision)

Last, but not least, guess what is:
- spinning all over the screen
- purple
- furry
- and with asymetric eyes ( :wtf: ??)
Well, it is... c-cute... kinda. (and more than a little disturbing).

Oolite is slowly revealing to be more complex than it transpires from its look :clap: -- good point in my book.
(my quest for better sounds continues...)

-fox

<nods> Yep - download it from here. It's a self-contained package - should work straight out of the box.
The above pic is from an experimental build, btw - it ain't quite as shiny in the release build. Yet!

And beware: most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in. Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck!
Oolite Naval Attaché

Cody wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:34 am
And beware: most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in. Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck!
Good, that's what I'm used to. :3 Some of these newer games bore me to tears with their extremely lengthy, step-by-step handholding tutorials that take hours.
Knowledge is Power, and Power goes in Cars.
I-War 2 thread
Epic Limit Theory Limerick

Online Now