Return to “Games”

Re: The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt

Cornflakes_91 wrote:well, Toussant definitely looks nice
It really does -- rather like a cross between idealized versions of southern France and Italy. I've been taking postcard pictures ;); I'll see if I can't post a few soon.

Meanwhile, it seems that CD Projekt Red really are going to release a standalone version of Gwent.

Apparently this will be its own executable that includes a standalone campaign for obtaining cards (set in the world of The Witcher), as well as an online mode for playing against humans.

I'm not too interested personally in that latter part. But I am curious to see how the whole thing plays out.

Maybe if Gwent is really successful, EA will do something similar for Pazaak from Knights of the Old Republic. :D

Well, haven't played the Witcher 3 yet (making myself finish the first two before I get it :ghost: ) but given my fondness of card games I've signed up for the beta of Gwent as soon as gog sent the mail.
And what I read in this RPS article makes me even more interested:
an isometric open world in which the player character gathers companions, collects objects and treks around completing quests. All of the elements, those characters and objects, become cards in your deck, and when battle commences, the game of Gwent becomes a depiction of that battle.
cause that's the kind of card game I would want to make if I had the time and skill :D
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Cornflakes_91 wrote:when the guys who decide on names go "fark that shit"
So far (in the "Blood and Wine" DLC) I've seen three different quest descriptions on notice boards that didn't get localized to English.

The quest descriptions in the Journal seem OK; it was just the text from the notice board that was still in CDPR's home language. They even prefixed it with "[PL]" as a note to someone to translate it.

Oops. :)

And here are some of those "postcard" screenshots I've taken. Nothing too spoilery that I'm aware of in this batch, but caveat emptor.
Spoiler:      SHOW

Flatfingers wrote: So far (in the "Blood and Wine" DLC) I've seen three different quest descriptions on notice boards that didn't get localized to English.

The quest descriptions in the Journal seem OK; it was just the text from the notice board that was still in CDPR's home language. They even prefixed it with "[PL]" as a note to someone to translate it.
Never had any problems with that, german translation of the witcher is generally better, though.

I've now finished the Blood & Wine DLC. The ending is pretty intense, especially if one -- for some reason -- chooses the darker, more "realistic," and less-unicorny path (which also happens to be the non-coital path, for those interested in this aspect of Witcheriness).

The final scene of the Blood & Wine DLC is actually quite poignant for gamers who've played since the original game was released. Geralt's last official moment seems to be a fond farewell from the developers themselves.

It's hard to imagine replaying The Witcher 3. It's enormous, and I feel like I've done everything there is to do and seen everything there is to see. Plus I "worked" so assiduously to level up Geralt that the thought of losing all that progress feels wrong somehow.

But even if I don't restart, I suspect I probably will revisit TW3. It's an extraordinarily well-realized world, and sometimes it's very satisfying to just putter around in such a place.

Flatfingers wrote:I've now finished the Blood & Wine DLC. The ending is pretty intense, especially if one -- for some reason -- chooses the darker, more "realistic," and less-unicorny path (which also happens to be the non-coital path, for those interested in this aspect of Witcheriness).

The final scene of the Blood & Wine DLC is actually quite poignant for gamers who've played since the original game was released. Geralt's last official moment seems to be a fond farewell from the developers themselves.

It's hard to imagine replaying The Witcher 3. It's enormous, and I feel like I've done everything there is to do and seen everything there is to see. Plus I "worked" so assiduously to level up Geralt that the thought of losing all that progress feels wrong somehow.

But even if I don't restart, I suspect I probably will revisit TW3. It's an extraordinarily well-realized world, and sometimes it's very satisfying to just putter around in such a place.
I assume you're referring to the path where that character is killed?
I don't think that's realistic, because Geralt should have known that was going to happen, I certainly did, and I'm no Witcher.
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Victor Tombs wrote: :shifty: So I went ahead and ordered the two limited DLC offerings for the game which each come with the physical Gwent cards. And then I ordered the GOTY version of the game. You would think that would calm the collector in me. Alas it hasn't. I've noticed some other game related merchandise. :oops:
Has that collector been able to persuade you to start actually playing TW3 yet? ;)

Or are you and your merry band still marauding your way across Skyrim?

Not criticizing; just curious.

Flatfingers wrote:
Victor Tombs wrote: :shifty: So I went ahead and ordered the two limited DLC offerings for the game which each come with the physical Gwent cards. And then I ordered the GOTY version of the game. You would think that would calm the collector in me. Alas it hasn't. I've noticed some other game related merchandise. :oops:
Has that collector been able to persuade you to start actually playing TW3 yet? ;)

I'm still firmly tethered to Skyrim, Flat. I'm not in any hurry to begin playing Witcher 3 but I'm thinking it would be a good idea to make a move in the right direction. Although, I may go back and play the other two games again before I start. ;)

More obsessive behaviour. :mrgreen:

Victor Tombs wrote:
Flatfingers wrote:

I'm still firmly tethered to Skyrim, Flat. I'm not in any hurry to begin playing Witcher 3 but I'm thinking it would be a good idea to make a move in the right direction. Although, I may go back and play the other two games again before I start. ;)

More obsessive behaviour. :mrgreen:
I'm the same way. :D
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Online Now