Return to “Games”

Sui Generis (KS funded)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/147 ... s/comments

this game does look interesting, its an ARPG but with a few differences, they wanted £150k to make the game, and they are nearly there, £138,211 done,
and 12 hours to go, I pledged to this game, not much, but I think it will be an interesting game to play, as it will be a lot more tactical, they not going to use the traditional hit points model from other ARPGs, but you will be able to manually block and swing swords, plenty of enemies to fight and so on, they also done a few updates on clothes and other stuff, it would be a shame if this game doesn't make it

if you like ARPGs, and want one with a twist, check this out, there is only 12 hours left, so if you can help please do,
Re: Sui Generis (KS funded)

I'm so glad they reached the goal, I think Totalbiscuit and a few others really helped, including Steven fry, I wasn't expecting this to reach the goal to be honest, I did pitch in, but thought it wouldn't get there, but everything changed, and for the better, so really over the moon this has made it, going to be interesting to play the game, and yes so pros on the team will help a lot

I am glad that their Kickstarter campaign was successful, but I have mixed feelings about Sui Generis. Their reticence to share information on a host of questions ranging from lore and gameplay to how they plan on achieving narrative cohesion in a fully non-linear gameworld.

Some comments by Bare Mettle and the, final day, interview in Forbes provided some answers to the above questions.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/20 ... doc-evans/

Aside from a number of game-related doubts I have also found the developer's attitude somewhat off-putting. To be sure, Bare Mettle (and, more specifically, Madoc Evans) have talent and ambition to spare, whether or not they will be able to reinvent the wheel remains to be seen however. While I am skeptical about the end result, I will follow the development of this project with interest (well, in as much as what they release to the public at large).
I know not what life is, nor death.
Year in year out-all but a dream.
Both Heaven and Hell are left behind;
I stand in the moonlit dawn,
Free from clouds of attachment.

I ummed and ahhh'd on this one a lot, in the end (I mean literally with 10 minutes to go, as I was stupidly still awake at 3:30am CET as it was ending) I finally backed for £10.

I really need to just remember interesting KS games and check them out at the end to see if they turned out to be okay. Rather than pay now and get something not so good in 2 years time (I wonder how many people will have changed email addresses in those two years and not get the keys they should)

Tom wrote:I am glad that their Kickstarter campaign was successful, but I have mixed feelings about Sui Generis. Their reticence to share information on a host of questions ranging from lore and gameplay to how they plan on achieving narrative cohesion in a fully non-linear gameworld.

Some comments by Bare Mettle and the, final day, interview in Forbes provided some answers to the above questions.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/20 ... doc-evans/

Aside from a number of game-related doubts I have also found the developer's attitude somewhat off-putting. To be sure, Bare Mettle (and, more specifically, Madoc Evans) have talent and ambition to spare, whether or not they will be able to reinvent the wheel remains to be seen however. While I am skeptical about the end result, I will follow the development of this project with interest (well, in as much as what they release to the public at large).
Um they have answered tons of questions, just check the forums. They constantly answer things asked about game features.

I have, in fact, looked at the gameplay and lore forums. I have read the interviews and the updates along with every comment that Bare Mettle issued regarding game mechanics, gameplay, plot, and narrative structure. To say that they have explained how the various aspects of the game will fit together is, to put it kindly, an exaggeration.

By Bare Mettle's own admission Sui Generis is essentially going to be a sandbox, with a player's freedom to choose being of paramount importance. There is nothing inherently wrong with that but, from what has been thus far revealed, plot won't be one of the game's strong points. No wonder then that Bare Mettle were so resistant to discussing narrative direction, flow and structure. Depending on how the player approaches the game the central plot might play out without a protagonist or even a PC witness unless they are 'guided' to it by some deus ex machina means. In which case all that talk about freedom of choice will be revealed to have been a sham or largely an illusion.

It is going to be an interesting game to follow from a development perspective, the mix of hubris and talent may lead to a unique gem, then again it may just lead to an ill-fitting mess. I do wish Bare Mettle well, but I don't quite see sandbox games as being outside of the box (pun intended). They have revealed some grand ambitions and essentially presented Sui Generis as representing a paradigm shift. If they are successful they will be hailed as heroes and may get a chance to redefine a genre, if not, well, maybe their engine will give others a chance for creative expression.

I may be something of a cynic (even if I refuse to live in a tub) that said, I am not opposed to change and bright new ideas per se. But in terms of RPGs I am more interested in compelling narrative and character interaction with depth than the freedom to wander as the mood takes me. As such I am willing to accept some linearity and scripted scenes. In the end, even in a 'create your own narrative' world, control is an illusion. Limitations in games are not set by imagination, after all.

I backed the project, but IMO they can't really rely on a 100% sandbox game because that gets boring, fast. Especially for a game that is supposed to be an RPG, and RPGs require a good storyline.

Also, as some of the commenters in this thread have noted, the dev team seems to come off as abit arrogant, which is not a good impression when you're asking people for money which is one of the reasons I held off till it was just a few hours till the deadline.

Fancy looking tech demos are nice and all, but attitude really matters too.

I looked at it as a Exceptionally high end Map making tool for my DnD games but decided against it as my pc would probably have a fit even looking at it.
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

Bare Mettle have released a pre-alpha gameplay video in their latest update.

I cannot lie, the video looks impressive. As rendered, the gameworld looks fantastic (other than the fact that it appears to be largely void of signs of life) and combat animations have improved a fair bit since the Kickstarter demo even if some of the moves still seem unnaturally slow and awkward. Movement, especially running, still needs a lot of work however, for a small team working on a first project with a limited budget, overt criticism of minor issues with mechanics in a pre-alpha demo would be ungenerous and unfair.

Other than looking wonderful, the game also sports a functional drag and drop inventory system and the ability to equip items as soon as they are obtained (including the uniforms of defeated foes for potential subterfuge). In addition to endless combat the demo features mana-based short distance teleportation. Health and mana are displayed on prominent bars at the bottom of what appears to be an extremely minimalistic HUD. It appears that in a nod to realism mana and health regeneration are limited by fatigue and wounds respectively.

The fly in the ointment, as it were, is what concerned me about the project in the first place. The world is beautiful but as of now it is largely uninhabited and sterile. For a gameplay demo the video featured no NPCs beyond potential opponents and no attempt at activity of any sort of the type that one would expect to see in a living and breathing world. The only interaction on display was combat and combat teleportation.

I don't know when and what kind of a game Bare Mettle will release, alas if this is all they have to show after a year of development, the best thing might be the licensing of their engine to others who might actually have a story to tell or an interactive world to bring to life.

This was going to be the first UK-based project I would have funded on KS... I did originally pledge.. but the dev team came across as arrogant/obnoxious and along with that, they didn't really seem to have a clear vision for what they were wanting to create beyond the technology itself. I'm not really surprised that they still only have a tech demo, albeit a better one, at this stage..

Online Now