Return to “Games”

Space Engine

Wow, just ran across Space Engine. Not much game here, but universe exploration. Very cool and really feels like what LT has been looking like. Still in active development, so some things (like ships) aren't in place yet, but it's a real treat to play.

Install this first: http://en.spaceengine.org/load/core/spa ... 2/2-1-0-19

Then download latest patch and unzip over installation: http://en.spaceengine.org/load/core/spa ... h/2-1-0-31

Takes a few minutes to launch. ASWD keys to navigate. Click on a star/planet for info and hit 'G' to fly there. G twice to warp I believe.

Beautiful ambient music as well.

Click on a star and hit F3 for information. You can also 'go to' from here. Much to explore...

Steam Page: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =214258536
..still digging.

Here's a screenshot of our galaxy (in 'lined up view): Image
Re: Space Engine

It is definitely amazing.

Actually, look closely at the image you pasted. Above and between Uranus and Neptune that clump of stars are the Pleiades, just as you would see them in the night sky above Earth. And to the right of them you can see the constellation Taurus, with his horns pointing downward, again, just as you'd see it if you walked outside.

Space Engine gets it right. And then it adds all kinds of coolness.

[typo edit]
Last edited by Flatfingers on Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Space Engine is pretty amazing. It is a game I've had/played for awhile that definitely shows the vast scale of the universe and can make you feel pretty small. Like the above poster I used Celestia for a long time and it was great but it has certainly started to feel dated. Space Engine has everything Celestia did and more. The ability to go from space to planet is... while still capturing the true scale of the planet is very impressive. The "plan" is obviously to turn it into a game with game elements and game play but given the pace and the true age of the project, I can't see that happening practically in the near future. Sadly by the time such a plan ever came to fruition the engine/graphics would start to appear dated. But it is still very amazing at what it does.

Talvieno wrote:Merged. Thanks, Flatfingers.

I downloaded it a while ago - it barely ran on my computer. It really was beautiful, though. Really eye-opening as to just how large our galaxy is.
Yes... and then you keep zooming out, and discover that our galaxy is just one out of millions in the web-like structure of the universe.

I don't know about you, but I always need to zoom back in to Earth after that.

Flatfingers wrote:
Talvieno wrote:Merged. Thanks, Flatfingers.

I downloaded it a while ago - it barely ran on my computer. It really was beautiful, though. Really eye-opening as to just how large our galaxy is.
Yes... and then you keep zooming out, and discover that our galaxy is just one out of millions in the web-like structure of the universe.

I don't know about you, but I always need to zoom back in to Earth after that.
It's funny, lately I've actually been referring people to this "game" whenever they get a little bit too big for their shoes. I tell them to go check out space engine to gain some perspective. A few of them have come back pretty humbled. The others... say nothing. It is one of the few things out there right now that can truly make you realize just how small we really are.
Space engine???

Disclaimer: Im not the developer of space engine :D

Did anybody hear of this beast?

http://en.spaceengine.org/
SpaceEngine - a free space simulation program that lets you explore the universe in three dimensions, from planet Earth to the most distant galaxies. Areas of the known universe are represented using actual astronomical data, while regions uncharted by astronomy are generated procedurally. Millions of galaxies, trillions of stars, countless planets - all available for exploration. You can land any planet, moon or asteroid and watch alien landscapes and celestial phenomena. You can even pilot starships and atmospheric shuttles.
I made a new topic for this because i couldn't search it in the forums :D
The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: engine space.
Dear josh, could you unlist at least engine in the common words, thats annoying, thx.

Online Now